The Student Room Group

A Level Choices

I'm currently in year 11 and need to make my A level choices pretty soon! Any suggestions on which ones are good to do and any that are not so?
At the moment, I'm thinking of Maths, History and Psychology but considering perhaps German, French or Geography?? Thanks :smile::smile::smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing history and its really good I did AS psychology but didn't really find it that interesting so I ended up dropping it at A2. Maths is also really good.
Reply 2
Original post by emjo1997
I'm currently in year 11 and need to make my A level choices pretty soon! Any suggestions on which ones are good to do and any that are not so?
At the moment, I'm thinking of Maths, History and Psychology but considering perhaps German, French or Geography?? Thanks :smile::smile::smile:

What are you thinking of doing at uni?
Reply 3
Well maybe History or if I like Psychology perhaps something like that. I love french but I'm just not very good at speaking which I fear is really quite important in a language.
Reply 4
Original post by xsabahx
I'm doing history and its really good I did AS psychology but didn't really find it that interesting so I ended up dropping it at A2. Maths is also really good.

Really? What made you not enjoy psychology so much?
Reply 5
Original post by palmerme1
What are you thinking of doing at uni?

Well maybe History or if I like Psychology perhaps something like that. I love french but I'm just not very good at speaking which I fear is really quite important in a language.

I did geography and i loved it. It was really interesting. And just generally really enjoyable.
What are you wanting to do at uni?
Reply 7
Original post by Emma:-)
I did geography and i loved it. It was really interesting. And just generally really enjoyable.
What are you wanting to do at uni?

Not really sure yet. Maybe History or Psychology? In Geography A level, do you have to remember a lot of case studies, because in GCSE I have to learn loads with place specific facts etc.?
Not really sure yet. Maybe History or Psychology? In Geography A level, do you have to remember a lot of case studies, because in GCSE I have to learn loads with place specific facts etc.?

Yeah, you do have to remember quite a few case studies. Luckily they where case studies that where easy to remember, mainly as they where quite memorable ones. Plus some case studies where similar/the same as gcse so you kind of remembered them.
But we where told that it didnt matter if you couldnt remember exact figures for things in case studies (such as how many people died etc)- you could put a different figure if you couldnt remember the exact one, and it wouldnt matter, as long as you showed you knew about the case study, it didnt matter if you got the exact figures wrong.
Reply 9
Yeah, you do have to remember quite a few case studies. Luckily they where case studies that where easy to remember, mainly as they where quite memorable ones. Plus some case studies where similar/the same as gcse so you kind of remembered them.
But we where told that it didnt matter if you couldnt remember exact figures for things in case studies (such as how many people died etc)- you could put a different figure if you couldnt remember the exact one, and it wouldnt matter, as long as you showed you knew about the case study, it didnt matter if you got the exact figures wrong.

Ah thank you! Also, do you have to write many essays in Geography?
Ah thank you! Also, do you have to write many essays in Geography?

Yeah, you do have to write a few essays. In the second year more than the first year really- you had to write quite a few in the second year but not many in the first year. They wherent to bad though- they where quite nice essays really, not mega bad or anything.
Reply 11
Yeah, you do have to write a few essays. In the second year more than the first year really- you had to write quite a few in the second year but not many in the first year. They wherent to bad though- they where quite nice essays really, not mega bad or anything.

I'm not amazing at English essays really, does it matter if the english side to the essay isn't really up to scratch?
I'm not amazing at English essays really, does it matter if the english side to the essay isn't really up to scratch?

They arent as bad as english essays.
As long as your english is reasonable, then you should be fine. And once you have done a few and have got the hang of it, then you will be sorted.
Reply 13
They arent as bad as english essays.
As long as your english is reasonable, then you should be fine. And once you have done a few and have got the hang of it, then you will be sorted.

Thanks a lot for all your help! Perhaps geography is for me! Much appreciated :smile::smile::smile:

German isn't offered at my school, but I'm pretty sure that the layout of the course itself must be pretty similar to other languages like French. A Level languages are tough, but if you're prepared to take on the challenge, it's genuinely one of the most useful skills to have. The way in which languages are learnt at A Level is very to different to GCSE, you get the opportunity to explore language in much greater depth, with an opportunity to read the literature of the language in question too. A friend of mine is doing it at AS and gets some of the strangest essay questions - one was something along the lines of 'to what extent is being single the best way to be?'

I'd argue French would perhaps turn out to be more useful later on in life, as its more widely spoken, but if you prefer German (or would want to live in a German-speaking country), the decision is up to you.

Geography's a brilliant subject at A Level. If you've studied it at GCSE, much of what you learn at AS is merely a continuation of that and the difficulty level doesn't rise significantly in the transition (in comparison to other subjects, at least). The one aspect where it does get tougher is that it is an essay-based subject, and the transition from answering a maximum of 6 mark questions to having to write entire essays on topics can be tricky to master. However, practice makes perfect, and you'll soon discover that essays for Geography are not particularly long ones, usually ranging between 1-1 1/2 sides of A4. It goes superbly with History if you're studying Modern History and have an interest in Politics, but also very well with Maths as the fieldwork sometimes requires statistical skills. Fieldwork is a really key point as to why Geography is a valuable subject - it provides you with skills in research, data collection etc. which very few other subjects offer.

All three are very useful A Levels to have, good luck with making your decision!

Being able to write descriptively and analytically is useful, but if you're not brilliant at English essays, you'll be able to pick up these skills over the course of the year as you practice more and more essays.

I found coming up with a solid essay structure really helped last year, and I stuck to it religiously. It means that when you get into exams, you don't have to panic about how you're going to lay out your argument as you pretty much have a template in your mind already.
Reply 16

You can't just make up figures! That's ridiculous...
Reply 17
I'd go Geography, Psychology and History they mix nicely. Only really linguists who want to study languages further study them at A-Level, as they are in need of a lot of time and effort (and passion) it's not really something I would say can be done on a whim - I do 3 languages at uni...
Original post by TheBigJosh
You can't just make up figures! That's ridiculous...

We where told by teachers- both at gcse and a-level, that if you couldnt remember the exact figures, then to put approximate/similar figures instead (so not putting completely random figures). Basically because what the examiners are looking for is that you can show how the things you are talking about in the case studies (like earthquakes) affected the people and things like that and it doenst matter if you dont get the figured exactly right.
Original post by TheBigJosh
I'd go Geography, Psychology and History they mix nicely. Only really linguists who want to study languages further study them at A-Level, as they are in need of a lot of time and effort (and passion) it's not really something I would say can be done on a whim - I do 3 languages at uni...

Hi,
can I just ask you? How can you study 3 languages at once? Where? Did you study all of them at A-levels? Thank you. I am asking, because I am interested in studying languages at uni as well.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest