The Student Room Group

Girlfriend not showing enough affection.

Hi people,

I'll try to keep this short.

So basically, I'm with this girl who I met last year, we've been dating for several months now. I only see her once a week due to her being at college in another town. When we text, it just seems that she either doesn't give it much thought or isn't an affectionate person. Like I'm always saying stuff like (Hey babe, hey baby etc.) and she doesn't seem to reciprocate, which, for some reason really bothers me. Another thing that is frustrating is that when I see her liking pictures of other boys on instagram and all that ****. I know, I shouldn't be so bothered by it but I am. If it helps, she's 17 and I'm 18 (almost 19).
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also, when I send her like a paragraph of text, saying hey, 'how are you, can't wait to see you etc', like today for example she responds saying 'just finished [activity], won 3-1' etc. and doesn't actually ****** read my ****** text or some ****. It's starting to really **** me off.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Also, when I send her like a paragraph of text, saying hey, 'how are you, can't wait to see you etc', like today for example she responds saying 'just finished [activity], won 3-1' etc. and doesn't actually f***** read my f***** text or some s***. It's starting to really f*** me off. I mean, is she seriously that retarded?

She sounds like she's playing a sport. Perhaps she's busier than you and doesn't have the time.

Though it does sound like she doesn't care...
Best thing to do is talk to her about these issues.
Reply 4
Well, it doesn't sound like she's all over you, or "in love". That doesn't mean she doesn't like you, I just think that she's not infatuated with you. The rest depends on what kind of relationship you want I guess.
Reply 5
Original post by nohomo
She sounds like she's playing a sport. Perhaps she's busier than you and doesn't have the time.

Though it does sound like she doesn't care...

Yes she does play a sport - she is very busy which I have learnt to accept... But again, it's not hard to show affection to your other half really, is it? I know that she really does love me, I don't know whether perhaps she is slightly different to me in terms of education/surroundings.
Reply 6
Yes she does play a sport - she is very busy which I have learnt to accept... But again, it's not hard to show affection to your other half really, is it? I know that she really does love me, I don't know whether perhaps she is slightly different to me in terms of education/surroundings.

How do you know she loves you?

Do you just want to believe this because you love her?

I'm not trying to be mean, but you have to think about this, I reckon.
Reply 7
Original post by Rock Fan
Best thing to do is talk to her about these issues.

I would love to, I sort of did last week actually. She basically agreed with most of the stuff I said, like that we don't text/communicate much and that it feels like I'm giving it everything whereas she on the other hand is doing the opposite of that. She didn't really make any points or constructive arguments in regards to the issue which is the most frustrating part of it all. I'm starting to question whether she just doesn't have the brain capacity (srs, don't want to be harsh but this is the impression I'm starting to perceive) to understand the issue and do something about it.
Reply 8
Original post by nohomo
How do you know she loves you?

Do you just want to believe this because you love her?

I'm not trying to be mean, but you have to think about this, I reckon.

Well, she's said many times that she loves me, never felt like this with anyone else etc. and that she wants a relationship with me. I did at one point ask her if she actually wanted a relationship or what sort of thing because she wasn't really showing it.
Reply 9
Also, when I send her like a paragraph of text, saying hey, 'how are you, can't wait to see you etc', like today for example she responds saying 'just finished [activity], won 3-1' etc. and doesn't actually ****** read my ****** text or some ****. It's starting to really **** me off.

I actually had this problem with one of my exes until she properly 'fell' for me. It might be that you just feel more intensely than she does. What you've said mirrors my experience with one girl. However, that doesn't mean to say things won't change, and she won't become more affectionate. All I can say is keep being supportive, and let things develop organically. Don't quiz her on it. If, after say several more months, nothing improves, then maybe consider ending it if she's not reciprocating. The ex I'm talking about didn't feel as strongly as I did till about a year into our relationship - then her feelings really kicked into gear. Give it time and see. As I said: just don't try and prematurely elicit those emotions. It won't end well
Hi people,

I'll try to keep this short.

So basically, I'm with this girl who I met last year, we've been dating for several months now. I only see her once a week due to her being at college in another town. When we text, it just seems that she either doesn't give it much thought or isn't an affectionate person. Like I'm always saying stuff like (Hey babe, hey baby etc.) and she doesn't seem to reciprocate, which, for some reason really bothers me. Another thing that is frustrating is that when I see her liking pictures of other boys on instagram and all that s***. I know, I shouldn't be so bothered by it but I am. If it helps, she's 17 and I'm 18 (almost 19).

you are in what i like to call............

a pointless relationship
Reply 11
Original post by llys
Well, it doesn't sound like she's all over you, or "in love". That doesn't mean she doesn't like you, I just think that she's not infatuated with you. The rest depends on what kind of relationship you want I guess.

True, I mean, it could be the environment she lives in. I mean, she isn't the 'girlie' type if you sort of know what I mean. If this perhaps indicates anything, she was a bit of a tommy-boy when she was growing up.
Reply 12
Well, she's said many times that she loves me, never felt like this with anyone else etc. and that she wants a relationship with me. I did at one point ask her if she actually wanted a relationship or what sort of thing because she wasn't really showing it.

Fair enough.

Could you come up with some days out/in you could do together to bring you closer?

Good luck!
Reply 13
Original post by Lone tiger
you are in what i like to call............

a pointless relationship

Well, I'm trying my absolute hardest to hold on to her as I have strong feelings for her, of course. We both knew that it would be difficult...
Reply 14
Original post by nohomo
Fair enough.

Could you come up with some days out/in you could do together to bring you closer?

Good luck!

Well, literally, she explained to me last week that she can only do one day (would rather not disclose). So, it ultimately leaves me with limited options. Hell, I would drive up to see her during the week if it was actually possible. Like, I would sometimes be waiting 8-12 hours for a single text. She says that she sometimes forgets to take her phone into college which is fair enough, and also argues that she is very busy and doesn't check her phone etc.
Reply 15
True, I mean, it could be the environment she lives in. I mean, she isn't the 'girlie' type if you sort of know what I mean. If this perhaps indicates anything, she was a bit of a tommy-boy when she was growing up.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean and that could be a reason. On the plus side, if that's the case she's also going to be less needy, clingy, jealous, manipulative and controlling than a girlfriend who may be more infatuated with you / more overt in communicating her affections. I think you two could still have a great relationship based on physical attraction, friendship and respect. That's worth something. Personally I would prefer that to one based on infatuation (but I'm much older than you and probably more like your girlfriend to begin with). On the other hand, it is possible to have both, so if you'd rather look for someone who can give you both, that's fair enough. I don't think you'll be able to change her. I think that people are either demonstrative in their affections or they aren't. Again, it doesn't mean that deep down she doesn't like you very much, just that she's not the kind of person who feels the urge to put it in words or on show.

All that said, it's difficult to keep a relationship going at a distance when one party doesn't communicate that well for whatever reason. I think for you it may be easier to cut your losses now rather than try to make it work. On the other hand, I do think it could work, but it would be difficult, and more difficult for you because actually her personality protects her. You are the one who's going to do all the worrying.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
It seems like she really isn't as into you as you are her. She may just have a bad way of showing her feelings but it doesn't sound like a good relationship tbh, if she just agreed with what you said then it obviously didn't bother her. Sorry but doesn't seem like it will last!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by McMurdo
I actually had this problem with one of my exes until she properly 'fell' for me. It might be that you just feel more intensely than she does. What you've said mirrors my experience with one girl. However, that doesn't mean to say things won't change, and she won't become more affectionate. All I can say is keep being supportive, and let things develop organically. Don't quiz her on it. If, after say several more months, nothing improves, then maybe consider ending it if she's not reciprocating. The ex I'm talking about didn't feel as strongly as I did till about a year into our relationship - then her feelings really kicked into gear. Give it time and see. As I said: just don't try and prematurely elicit those emotions. It won't end well

Thank you for your input. I can sort of see 'us' having a similar experience to yours. I'm trying to progressive things in terms of physical and emotional intimacy, which could perhaps help or improve things. Another thing is that, well, I don't want to have to spell it out, but... she is pristine. I have also been thinking a lot about what I would like to do with her next time we meet (pleasure her, etc...), but again, I don't want to rush her or not do it if she isn't ready. How do I go about progressing that? I just find it hard getting close to her as it feels like that when we meet up, I'm always the one having to do everything, making the move, grabbing her attention when she's on her f***** phone using snapchat and that. It can be difficult... I mean, I did suggest to her when we were having a discussion about our relationship that perhaps she is juvenile (she didn't actually know what that meant, so of course I had to explain that to her). She said that she is mature etc.. and that she just didn't want to get hurt. Me obviously being me, I said that I would never want to hurt her and I would never judge her etc.

Oh, another thing that may help is that over the holidays, we didn't meet not even once. I asked her about it and she said that she felt apprehensive about me or something which was a bit strange. I then responded saying that I'd never judge her, I want her to be herself and nothing more, nothing less etc.. and then she seemed to be fine after that.
Reply 18
Original post by llys
Yes, I know exactly what you mean and that could be a reason. On the plus side, if that's the case she's also going to be less needy, clingy, jealous, manipulative and controlling than a girlfriend who may be more infatuated with you / more overt in communicating her affections. I think you two could still have a great relationship based on physical attraction, friendship and respect. That's worth something. Personally I would prefer that to one based on infatuation (but I'm much older than you and probably more like your girlfriend to begin with). On the other hand, it is possible to have both, so if you'd rather look for someone who can give you both, that's fair enough. I don't think you'll be able to change her. I think that people are either demonstrative in their affections or they aren't. Again, it doesn't mean that deep down she doesn't like you very much, just that she's not the kind of person who feels the urge to put it in words or on show.

All that said, it's difficult to keep a relationship going at a distance when one party doesn't communicate that well for whatever reason. I think for you it may be easier to cut your losses now rather than try to make it work. On the other hand, I do think it could work, but it would be difficult, and more difficult for you because actually her personality protects her. You are the one who's going to do all the worrying.

Yeah... I mean, that does seem about right. She did mention that in the past, she was a bit 'attached' to someone so that could may well be a reason as to why she is now how she is. However, I have reassured her many times that I am not the kind of guy to just drop everything. In fact, since we last met up up, I hadn't seen her before that in over 7 weeks - I sort of then used that to say to her that I am an extremely loyal person, which she concurred to and seemed alright after that.

That is true, it has (and still sort of is) difficult. Being able to actually see her once a week is literally a miracle (I know, that's how ***** up it sort of is). It can be emotionally draining, however, I'm always going to stay on my game (going off to university next year as I'm currently on a gap year). Although, I feel that I have made a lot of sacrifices or that I would make loads of sacrifices for me. I don't know, perhaps I want attention from her that I just can't get.

And also, I would say that this is the first 'serious' relationship that I have had. I've dated several girls in the past, but nothing as serious, or nothing that have made me feel like this.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Address the issues with her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending