The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

1st Year Computer Science Student at UoB - Feel free to ask questions!

Hey,

I'm currently in the first year of my MEng Computer Science & Software Engineering at the University of Birmingham, feel free to ask me any questions about life here, or Computer Science, or anything like that.

I'm not living on the Vale but I can probably answer questions about it. I have a better knowledge of Selly Oak (where you're likely to end up 2nd year onwards).

Regarding the specific course I study, I didn't do maths A-Level and so I take the compulsory Maths module.

Feel free to ask away
Reply 1
Original post by Merlz
Hey,

I'm currently in the first year of my MEng Computer Science & Software Engineering at the University of Birmingham, feel free to ask me any questions about life here, or Computer Science, or anything like that.

I'm not living on the Vale but I can probably answer questions about it. I have a better knowledge of Selly Oak (where you're likely to end up 2nd year onwards).

Regarding the specific course I study, I didn't do maths A-Level and so I take the compulsory Maths module.

Feel free to ask away

What is the weighting for the degree for the BSc Comp Sci course? When I ask that, what I really want to know is whether the first year has any weighting or not?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by LocoLuke
What is the weighting for the degree for the BSc Comp Sci course? When I ask that, what I really want to know is whether the first year has any weighting or not?

As far as I know it has no influence on what you get at the end. You do need to pass, especially things like Software Workshop, and Intro To Maths for CS, in order to get through to the second year. Decent grades will also help you find internships (whether with companies or within the college), placements later on, and the content is pretty important anyway! Ultimately as long as you pass you're fine as it doesn't count towards your degree, but if you can do better you might as well go for it!
Reply 3
Original post by Merlz
Hey,

Feel free to ask away

hey Merlz, what did you get?
Reply 4
What were the a level grade requirements and what was the lowest grades that any one in your year had. Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Uglypeter
What were the a level grade requirements and what was the lowest grades that any one in your year had. Thanks

The Computer Science and Software Engineering Course (MEng) had A-level requirements of AAA, I was offered AAB, I got in with ABB. I'm afraid I don't know what the lowest grades anyone got, I do know that a lot of people missed their offer and were still accepted.

The BSc course has lower grade requirements, it's probably worth checking out the website for the specifics as they may have changed.

I feel I should add, the website states that there are only 76 places available in Computer Science, this year there were around 150 of us at the start... Apparently they're going to reduce the number again this year, but according to some people they say that every year.
Reply 6
Hi,

I got accepted for computer science with foundation, I'm not from the UK so I'm not able to check out the university...

How's computer science in brum? because I'm torn between brum and durham

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest