The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Apologetic Cube
I remember reading that Paul Jeffreys, the Senior Wrangler at Cambridge in 2007, was offered a starting salary of £95,000 as one of the executive directors of UBS.

Just proves my point that they exist!

95k is mental haha
Original post by TheOneTrueEvian
Firstly, I'm sorry for posting this. Probably done to death. I also have a pretty good idea what the answer is.

However, I fall into one of these camps and therefore felt like stirring the debate.

To clarify, I mean - say QMUL 1st vs Cambridge 2:1 for law...
Exeter 1st vs Oxford 2:1 for English

Not high end Russell Group like LSE or UCL...but good in the relevant subject.

Cheers!

Russell group is far too general and it shouldn't be seen as a 'gold standard' because there are universities in there which quite frankly are very easy to get into and the standards between different institutions in it vary so much.

Two people with the same intelligence/ motivation etc would stand fairly similar chances of doing equally well regardless of whether they went to Oxbridge or a lower ranked Russell Group university.

Perhaps a few strategy consultancies/ investment banks/ law firms might look down on people from the less good university, but for all but the most elitest organisations (a tiny minority) it really doesn't matter where you go, but that you can pass their online tests/ interviews/ assessment centres etc.

The basic criteria is a 2.1 for most jobs and nobody cares if you got a first and for the vast majority of jobs, even graduate jobs at prestigious firms your interviewer couldn't care less whether you got a first or a 2.1.
Original post by nohomo
Did he take it?

Yes.

He had 10 A's at A-Level and a First Class Honours degree in Economics from the Open University before he'd even started at Cambridge, so there's little surprise he was offered a job like that, to be honest.
Reply 43
Original post by Apologetic Cube
Yes.

He had 10 A's at A-Level and a First Class Honours degree in Economics from the Open University before he'd even started at Cambridge, so there's little surprise he was offered a job like that, to be honest.

If I were in his position, I might have had a go at academia...but perhaps he judged that he couldn't make the sort of contributions he'd like to to academia, or just loves money :tongue:
Original post by Freier._.lance
Which is in fact as rare as people make out, last year only 6 people from Harvard made it into hedge funds/private equity straight out of graduation

In all honesty, most people attending Harvard will either be going into academia or starting their own companies. Most people that I am aware who have walked into such jobs have come from UCL and Imperial, not sure why that is though.

lol, justify this. What makes Harvard so different from every elite UK uni, ie Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial that most graduates start their own company or go into academia..
Original post by marcus2001
In all honesty, most people attending Harvard will either be going into academia or starting their own companies. Most people that I am aware who have walked into such jobs have come from UCL and Imperial, not sure why that is though.

lol, justify this. What makes Harvard so different from every elite UK uni, ie Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial that most graduates start their own company or go into academia..

Quite a few reasons actually. One is observation. Another is the fact that UK culture is completely different to American culture when it comes to an entrepreneurial attitude. True in some part American culture promotes it while UK culture stifles it. Some blame should lie on UK students too though, we spend so much time at University wasting our time. That's one of the differences between students at top universities in the US and top students in the UK, that any person who has been on both places will tell you.

Tell me honestly, how many people do you know in your year who have developed something new, designed a new concept, with which they now make their own living?
Original post by nohomo
If I were in his position, I might have had a go at academia...but perhaps he judged that he couldn't make the sort of contributions he'd like to to academia, or just loves money :tongue:

It would be hard to justify roughing it out in academia for, what would most likely be around the region of ten years, until you actually get yourself a permanent position as a member of faculty. Even then, you would be earning but a fraction of what you could expect in finance.

I suppose it really just depends on what's important to you. I know I'd feel better laying in my death-bed having contributed towards human knowledge for a more modest sum of money rather than having earned a fortune making rich people richer.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
The reality with these threads is the people discussing the answer are largely students that have never had a proper graduate job let alone employed anybody so how can they give you an accurate answer? All they can do is speculate.

Its like saying whats the best way to have sex with a supermodel. Ask that on TSR and you will get a range of answers some of whom assert their complete confidence in being right, but don't expect that it will be an accurate and informed answer it will just be speculation.

The answers are horrendous. I was not this ill-informed when I was 21 odd years old! I think I've posted at a bad time in the wrong place and there are mostly sixth form students commenting. I'd encourage informed speculation, and whilst I'd expect the odd silly comment, the fact that the thread has quickly turned into a ridiculous commentary about non-existent job salaries is very disappointing.

It's a very banal question anyway.
Reply 48
I think the same thing and I made the thread.

I guess in part I wanted to see if people are still as snobby and deluded as they were years ago on here.

This thread is even more tragic than I thought it would be.

A 2:2 from Oxbridge is essentially useless and embarrassing - as is a 2:2 from anywhere. Imperial is about as good as Oxbridge for many of the sciences, arguably better, arguably not.

However there is a gulf between Oxford and say, Exeter or Manchester. The reality is employers usually prefer the first in most circumstances...that having been said, I made this thread to a degree because I acknowledge that the gulf between the two in terms of prestige and employment prospects is not overwhelmingly different.

Pot, kettle, black.
Reply 49
The answers are horrendous. I was not this ill-informed when I was 21 odd years old! I think I've posted at a bad time in the wrong place and there are mostly sixth form students commenting. I'd encourage informed speculation, and whilst I'd expect the odd silly comment, the fact that the thread has quickly turned into a ridiculous commentary about non-existent job salaries is very disappointing.

This poll from the same thread a while back suggested that on average, TSRians respect a 1st from the RG more:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=36827

A silly question will usually attract silly answers. I love the way you just throw childish insults at people who don't agree with you - the mark of a good argument.
Reply 51
1st > 2.1 Any day of the week!
Reply 52
Original post by Bored_at_1AM
For who?

I'm a Management Consultant at a top firm and nobody cares at all where anyone went to university.

It might vaguely matter in academia, but most of the more prestigious strategy houses wouldn't pick someone from Oxbridge over someone from LSE/ Imperial just because they went to Oxbridge and if all things were equal it would come down to their gut instinct.

You don't care AT ALL where anyone went to university? I doubt you work for a TOP firm then...

A 2:2 from Oxbridge is essentially useless and embarrassing - as is a 2:2 from anywhere.

Whilst you have expressed this in a harsh way and it will probably provoke some people you have it right. When people on here say stuff like "a 2:2 from Oxbridge is better than a 1st anywhere else" they are clutching at straws.

The main advantage from Oxbridge or another elite university like LSE, Imperial etc is the signalling value to top end employers.

If the employer knows that working for them involves working very long hours, making big sacrifices in your life, being under pressure and expected to perform well, in an environment where your peers are all driven, high achievers, then being from Oxbridge or LSE/Imperial etc is a good signal because it shows two things:

1. At age 18 (or whenever they applied) you were regarded as amongst the most talented of your peer group, as you got in through a competitive admissions process

2. You were able to handle a pressured and challenging environment like you will find working at that employer

Of these, the second is more important than the first. The Oxbridge value is that it replicates a challenging environment similar to working in investment banking, top end of law, strategic consulting etc, so it shows how individuals can handle that sort of environment.

If you have a 2:2 or 3rd then the second signal disappears and Oxbridge on your CV says that you were regarded amongst the most talented of your peer group when you applied, but when put in that environment you slipped behind your peers and were one of the weaker performers.

If someone has a 1st from a Russell Group university then its a different signal. People know the Russell Group isn't as demanding or cutthroat an environment as Oxbridge but they also know its an environment where students are left to their own devices more and have to be individually self-motivated to do well. So a 1st from there says you weren't regarded as highly at age 18 as the Oxbridgers but you've done pretty well in a different environment and you might be a high flier that slipped through the net earlier on. You haven't been tested in a pressured competitive environment in the same way as the Oxbridgers (so they might want to see other things on your CV that can signal that) but you've done as well as you could and there's always the chance that you're an undiscovered diamond. The ones who have 2:2s or 3rds from Oxbridge have been tested in that environment and the employer knows the answer: they struggle at that level. If they accompany it with stories about special circumstances....well they know at least they are good at making excuses.

To use a footballer analogy think of guys like Henrik Larsson at Celtic and Luis Suarez at Ajax. When Barca/Liverpool were looking to sign them they knew they had banged in a lot of goals and been very successful but in leagues that weren't Europe's elite. So there was a bit of a question mark but their potential buyers saw enough to think its worth the gamble that they are undiscovered diamonds that will thrive in a more competitive league. If on the other hand those clubs had been looking at a guy that had already played in La Liga or the Premier League and struggled (the equivalent of an Oxbridge 2:2) they would be less excited about signing him.

There will be some Larsson/Suarez type people out in the graduate job market and the top employers will want to pick them up. The logic from some on TSR would have said stuff like well El Hadj Diouf would be preferable to sign than Suarez at that point because being mediocre in the Premier League is better than being a top performer in the Dutch league.
Reply 54
Original post by nohomo
Is your mum an employer? If so, where?

No she isn't thank god :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bored_at_1AM
For who?

I'm a Management Consultant at a top firm and nobody cares at all where anyone went to university.

It might vaguely matter in academia, but most of the more prestigious strategy houses wouldn't pick someone from Oxbridge over someone from LSE/ Imperial just because they went to Oxbridge and if all things were equal it would come down to their gut instinct.
Are we talking MBB? And if so what is the honest proportion of UK non-Oxbridge grads to Oxbridge ones?

1. At age 18 (or whenever they applied) you were regarded as amongst the most talented of your peer group, as you got in through a competitive admissions process

2. You were able to handle a pressured and challenging environment like you will find working at that employer
I'd go further than that - I'd say that in some industries that have an acknowledged system of hierarchical employers (such as consulting and law) there's a 3:

3. Employing largely or exclusively from top flight universities sets your brand apart as premium, and allows you to charge a premium rate for your service.

Hence top strat firms, the magic circle and top chambers do tend to be very Oxbridge centric, whereas other industries where there is less of a small elite of top firms are not.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
Whilst you have expressed this in a harsh way and it will probably provoke some people you have it right. When people on here say stuff like "a 2:2 from Oxbridge is better than a 1st anywhere else" they are clutching at straws.

The main advantage from Oxbridge or another elite university like LSE, Imperial etc is the signalling value to top end employers.

If the employer knows that working for them involves working very long hours, making big sacrifices in your life, being under pressure and expected to perform well, in an environment where your peers are all driven, high achievers, then being from Oxbridge or LSE/Imperial etc is a good signal because it shows two things:

Of these, the second is more important than the first. The Oxbridge value is that it replicates a challenging environment similar to working in investment banking, top end of law, strategic consulting etc, so it shows how individuals can handle that sort of environment.

If you have a 2:2 or 3rd then the second signal disappears and Oxbridge on your CV says that you were regarded amongst the most talented of your peer group when you applied, but when put in that environment you slipped behind your peers and were one of the weaker performers.

If someone has a 1st from a Russell Group university then its a different signal. People know the Russell Group isn't as demanding or cutthroat an environment as Oxbridge but they also know its an environment where students are left to their own devices more and have to be individually self-motivated to do well. So a 1st from there says you weren't regarded as highly at age 18 as the Oxbridgers but you've done pretty well in a different environment and you might be a high flier that slipped through the net earlier on. You haven't been tested in a pressured competitive environment in the same way as the Oxbridgers (so they might want to see other things on your CV that can signal that) but you've done as well as you could and there's always the chance that you're an undiscovered diamond. The ones who have 2:2s or 3rds from Oxbridge have been tested in that environment and the employer knows the answer: they struggle at that level. If they accompany it with stories about special circumstances....well they know at least they are good at making excuses.

To use a footballer analogy think of guys like Henrik Larsson at Celtic and Luis Suarez at Ajax. When Barca/Liverpool were looking to sign them they knew they had banged in a lot of goals and been very successful but in leagues that weren't Europe's elite. So there was a bit of a question mark but their potential buyers saw enough to think its worth the gamble that they are undiscovered diamonds that will thrive in a more competitive league. If on the other hand those clubs had been looking at a guy that had already played in La Liga or the Premier League and struggled (the equivalent of an Oxbridge 2:2) they would be less excited about signing him.

There will be some Larsson/Suarez type people out in the graduate job market and the top employers will want to pick them up. The logic from some on TSR would have said stuff like well El Hadj Diouf would be preferable to sign than Suarez at that point because being mediocre in the Premier League is better than being a top performer in the Dutch league.

Brilliant reply and great analogy too.
Original post by MancStudent098
Are we talking MBB? And if so what is the honest proportion of UK non-Oxbridge grads to Oxbridge ones?

I'd go further than that - I'd say that in some industries that have an acknowledged system of hierarchical employers (such as consulting and law) there's a 3:

3. Employing largely or exclusively from top flight universities sets your brand apart as premium, and allows you to charge a premium rate for your service.

Hence top strat firms, the magic circle and top chambers do tend to be very Oxbridge centric, whereas other industries where there is less of a small elite of top firms are not.

Interesting point and I think this is right as well.

I think this is especially prevalent at smaller elite firms, such as consultancies, where they sell their services primarily through their people.

Consultancy firms bid for projects in competitive tender and their bids are based around showing the prospective client what they are getting, in terms of staff time, eg

Project manager: Sir Peregrine Bloggs McMuffin MBA (Harvard), DPhil, MA (Oxon), 40 years experience of getting paid high rates to hear the sound of his own voice, member of advisory panels for HM Government and European Commission, formerly Chief Executive of Morgan Tiger Stanley Paribas Bank, visiting Professor at UCL.
Days allocated: 2.5, day rate: £3000

(this will basically be the guy that oversees the project, proof reads it, shakes hands with the client and makes a bit of a speech if they do a presentation)

Deputy project manager: Jurgen Mustermann, MBA (LSE) MSc (Cantab), BSc (Leipzig), 15 years experience in overseeing major consultancy projects in private and public sector, author of "Why You Need To Pay Big To Hire Someone To Tell You The Obvious", formerly had his own small engineering consultancy.
Days allocated: 5, day rate: £1200

(this will be the scary guy that you meet at a 'draft report' session who shoots down any of your comments and suggestions on how they could improve it by saying 'that was out of scope of the original project spec')

Lead researcher: Tabatha-Elizabeth Masscara, MA (Oxon), recently graduated with a triple first and a Hockey Blue from ChristChurch College
Days allocated: 15, day rate: £400

(this will be the 22 year old graduate that does all the work for the project and smiles politely when the old creepy clients make suggestive comments to her)

Staff costs: £19500
Travel to meetings, production of materials, £2500
Total cost for 3 week project: £22000

Total consultancy cost
I, personally, try not to think about where my degree comes from. I go to Birkbeck (a 1994 group Uni, so not even an RG). I believe that if I put my all in and come out wih a 2.1, that I'll still get SOMEWHERE in Law. Even if I'm only a paralegal, at least I'll be within the field I want. It may be harder for me to get in to the profession but, tbh, I like a challenge! I wouldn't want to be given a job simply because I went to a certain university. With that said, I wouldn't turn It down though :-P

Even something like Law there will be firms who care about where your degree comes from, and firms that don't. Probably like every other profession. Especially if people from London Met can secure a TC!
Original post by ermm
Haha fair response. So people who aim to work in a high end investment bank or a hedgefund are more likely to be those from Oxbridge rather than any other Uni's. For instance, one of the filters they use at Goldman Sachs is the 'Oxbridge' filter just because the have such a surplus of applicants.

The ex chairman of GS Asset Management and chief economist did his undergrad at Sheffield and a PhD at Surrey.

Latest

Trending

Trending