The Student Room Group

How do YOU de-ice your car?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Fizzel
You got a Ford? I've always wondered why, as far as I know, only Ford offer the heated windscreen.

It's an option on Land Rovers and is standard on top spec models.
I get in, fire up the car whack the heaters on and get out the scraper. I dislike using de-icer spray as the stuff stinks so badly and steams up the windows whereas I don't have that issue when using a scraper.

I wouldn't use hot water on the screen as I don't wanna pay to buy a new screen :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
See many people who put the reflectors that they use in the summer to keep the heat out, clamp it under the wipers on the outside to prevent the windscreen freezing, saves spending money on another cover if you already have one :smile:
Turn car on. Put heating on. Scrape ice off windows.

By the time I've done that it normally just needs a quick wipe down on the inside.
Reply 44
If you read the labels of most spray-on deicers they say "do not allow prolonged contact with skin or car bodywork". I don't want that on my car at all really, and most certainly not being rubbed into my windscreen wipers. Boiling water can quite easily crack your screen, and I've seen it happen. Tepid water, if it's cold enough outside, will simply freeze again quite quickly leaving you in a worse position than before. The best way is car heater and a scraper. It takes longer but your windscreen, windscreen seal, and wipers will all thank you in the long run.
Reply 45
I always scrape it off with something soft/rubber ended to stop it getting scratched. Would NEVER use boiling water just cause of the risk of cracking the windshield.
Reply 46
Original post by PaulJames
I always scrape it off with something soft/rubber ended to stop it getting scratched. Would NEVER use boiling water just cause of the risk of cracking the windshield.

A plastic scraper won't scratch glass.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending