The Student Room Group

Do employers care more about the reputation of the uni, or the uni's course?

For example, if i were to take Physics at Glasgow, the course is rated better than Bath's Physics course. But do employers actually look at how good the course is, or just the university you went to?

Also, do people who go on to do Phds usually do them for better career prospects (does it mean a significantly better wage), or just because of the love of the subject?

OH, and also, does your degree matter more than work experience to employers?
Original post by minnigayuen
For example, if i were to take Physics at Glasgow, the course is rated better than Bath's Physics course. But do employers actually look at how good the course is, or just the university you went to?

Also, do people who go on to do Phds usually do them for better career prospects (does it mean a significantly better wage), or just because of the love of the subject?

OH, and also, does your degree matter more than work experience to employers?

The Uni's course in my opinion, since your employers should be mentally ranking universities based on your subject. Plus there's factors such as how well the course prepares students for employment, etc etc.

It might be different for subjects where hiring is conducted by someone who isn't trained in your profession, but for my profession at least it's all about the university course :smile:
Reply 2
The answer to all would be depends to be honest!

If you were looking to go into say, accountancy, eventually then they'd likely just look at the instution as a rough guide, as they'll have hundreds of applicants with a huge range of degree subjects, whereas if you wanted to do petroleum engineering they'd probably have a pretty good idea as to where was good for that specific subject.

For PhDs you'll always have to enjoy it to an extent, but for those doing them in Arts it's nearly always for sheer love of the subject, for scientists more likely a mix of career and enjoyment.

In some fields, but generally you'll need both good grades and decent work experience in the current graduate recruitment market.
As Le Nombre says above, it depends. I think it's more the Uni/grade as most applicants will have related courses.
Original post by Architecture-er
The Uni's course in my opinion, since your employers should be mentally ranking universities based on your subject. Plus there's factors such as how well the course prepares students for employment, etc etc.

It might be different for subjects where hiring is conducted by someone who isn't trained in your profession, but for my profession at least it's all about the university course :smile:

I wonder if someone could go into your area with separate degrees in engineering, art and maths :holmes:.
It's quite unusual for an employer to keep a mental note of where your university is ranked, especially for specific courses, unless you're going into particular fields. This is largely because ranking doesn't tell them much about the course itself, especially at undergraduate level, and frankly I doubt they have the time to thoroughly investigate the content of every course in the country. What they would be interested in is what you did, the skills you obtained and so on, as well as your grade; this is largely done by you on the application form and in the interview (again, unless you're entering the handful of fields which really do examine university courses in some detail, or those which have industry partnerships with some universities). Some employers filter out applicants by UCAS points and in doing so limit applicants from a top band of universities, but it's incredibly unusual for ranking to be used as a deciding factor.

Relevant experience is generally valued above a degree. Once you've been doing the job for a few years, nobody will really care what degree you have unless you're using an old boy network of some kind. But the degree opens the door into the field, and it can be harder to obtain work experience in many fields without a degree. Degrees are also the door-opener into a company's grad scheme.

I think PhDs are done for a variety of reasons, chiefly career-oriented, but also for prestige (hello, I'm Dr...) and genuine interest in the subject.
Uni course not where the uni sits in the league tables. For instance my uni received the only educational excellence award in the UK for my subject ie: making it one of the best unis in Europe for my subject yet in the league tables its around number 60 or so
Reply 6
Original post by de_monies
Uni course not where the uni sits in the league tables. For instance my uni received the only educational excellence award in the UK for my subject ie: making it one of the best unis in Europe for my subject yet in the league tables its around number 60 or so

And you think anyone knows that?

(see next post before replying)
Reply 7
OP, you've had several different answers and thats because it depends on the job.

If the role you're applying for leads directly on from your subject area they will care about how good your uni is for that course.

If they are a smaller employer but the subject area doesn't matter much (say accountancy) they will care about generally where your uni is in league tables (ie top 2, top 20, top 50 or the rest)

If they are a large employer they won't care what you did or where you did it, just that you have a 2.i

People do PhDs generally if they don't yet hate their subject and either love the subject, need a PhD for the job they want or can't think what they want to do when they grow up (so do a PhD to put that decision off)

The degree gets your CV read, your work experience gets you an interview, being better than the rest at interview gets you the job.
(edited 10 years ago)
Depends entirely on the employer. A recent survey has shown that, when made to choose, most chose the degree the graduate studied as the most important factor when considering them for positions. The grade achieved was important to far fewer employers, and only a small fraction said the university attended was the most important factor.
Reply 9
Both. employers use a matrix in which to base all their decisions on.
Going down the y axis is a list of universities sorted descending by the Times League table rank. Along the X we have none-Mickey Mouse courses listed descending by perceived difficulty as defined by tsr users.

Each cell is populated using the sum of its x position and y position.
They just find your course and uni and look your score up, candidate with the highest score gets the job.

It's common knowledge all employers do this.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by INTit
Both. employers use a matrix in which to base all their decisions on.
Going down the y axis is a list of universities sorted descending by the Times League table rank. Along the X we have none-Mickey Mouse courses listed descending by perceived difficulty as defined by tsr users.

Each cell is populated using the sum of its x position and y position.
They just find your course and uni and look your score up, candidate with the highest score gets the job.

It's common knowledge all employers do this.

such joke, many laughter
Reply 11
Get a 1st from a good university, then there are no problems at all.

*cough* Show off!

OP, it's most probably a combination of both.
Original post by Quady
OP, you've had several different answers and thats because it depends on the job.

If the role you're applying for leads directly on from your subject area they will care about how good your uni is for that course.

If they are a smaller employer but the subject area doesn't matter much (say accountancy) they will care about generally where your uni is in league tables (ie top 2, top 20, top 50 or the rest)

If they are a large employer they won't care what you did or where you did it, just that you have a 2.i

People do PhDs generally if they don't yet hate their subject and either love the subject, need a PhD for the job they want or can't think what they want to do when they grow up (so do a PhD to put that decision off)

The degree gets your CV read, your work experience gets you an interview, being better than the rest at interview gets you the job.

I do believe you quoted me saying "Who actually knows that" etc... When I interviewed for companies, I applied to both small and large companies (a lot came directly to the university), and they know the graduates from our uni, and not necessarily true

For instance, where I work, I think most people are from ex poly's. IT is not an industry, that is really "suited" for "traditional" universities imo

Original post by Abdul-Karim
*cough* Show off!

OP, it's most probably a combination of both.

And experience of past students from that uni as well :smile:
Reply 14
I do believe you quoted me saying "Who actually knows that" etc... When I interviewed for companies, I applied to both small and large companies (a lot came directly to the university), and they know the graduates from our uni, and not necessarily true

For instance, where I work, I think most people are from ex poly's. IT is not an industry, that is really "suited" for "traditional" universities imo)

IBM, Accenture, CapGem, HP Fujitsu, Oracle (et al) graduate recruitment understands/takes into account which courses are better? I only ask as they were the types of company (in IT) I meant and didn't think they did. Happy to be corrected though
Original post by Quady
IBM, Accenture, CapGem, HP Fujitsu, Oracle (et al) graduate recruitment understands/takes into account which courses are better? I only ask as they were the types of company (in IT) I meant and didn't think they did. Happy to be corrected though

I have friends working at both IBM and CapGemini, and HP specifically came to our uni. CapGemini is "local" to the university, so they know our graduates

IBM Germany also pay for their employees to come study in our uni for a year or so, before sending them back to Germany
Reply 16
Well if you look at the banking sector, most firms employ the majority of their workers from 6 unis (Oxb, ICL, LSE, UCL, Warwick), regardless of your degree to an extent. So there are a lot of lies on this thread.

Work experience is as important as your degree.
Original post by Mike_123
Well if you look at the banking sector, most firms employ the majority of their workers from 6 unis (Oxb, ICL, LSE, UCL, Warwick), regardless of your degree to an extent. So there are a lot of lies on this thread.

A small section of the banking industry, which only accounts for a tiny fraction of each year's graduate recruitment.

I can assure you Im definitely working for a large company. There's another mod here, who also works at a large company (IT job), and got in by doing a BTEC, and then a uni course at an ex poly

Banking is not like IT. IT definitely supports banking, but the two disciplines are entirely different

Banking is very much the exception rather than rule. This also only applies to front office, MO and BO roles have grads from all sorts of unis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending