The Student Room Group

Pretty face, ugly kid

I saw this post on fb the other day, and it was a 'picture-story' basically about this unattractive girl, who has surgery to make herself attractive. Since doing this, she then falls in love, gets married and has a kid. The kids ends up looking like she did before the surgery.

Now obviously, it was illuding to the fact that you can change what you look like, but, you can't change your genetics. But I have also seen it the other way around too. A really good-looking person makes an ok-looking child.

This got me thinking. Why do people have children? not the obvious 'to keep the human race alive' because there is 7 billion of us. We are the most common species on earth. Considering there is no certainty that when/if you have kids they will come out how you expect.

You can't guarantee the person you choose to have kids with will lead to have having successful children in the future. So why chance it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why chance having children in case they might be deemed ugly in the eyes of society over something you can love and care for? If you really are that shallow and if that's really how you think then you don't deserve to have children.
Reply 2
People like kids and there is a strong biological urge to have them in some people :dontknow:
The desire to have kids shouldn't be dampened by the possibility that they end up ugly. That's just life, some kids are good-looking, others aren't. Looks aren't the be all and end all anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by NHM713
I saw this post on fb the other day, and it was a 'picture-story' basically about this unattractive girl, who has surgery to make herself attractive. Since doing this, she then falls in love, gets married and has a kid. The kids ends up looking like she did before the surgery.

Now obviously, it was illuding to the fact that you can change what you look like, but, you can't change your genetics. But I have also seen it the other way around too. A really good-looking person makes an ok-looking child.

This got me thinking. Why do people have children? not the obvious 'to keep the human race alive' because there is 7 billion of us. We are the most common species on earth. Considering there is no certainty that when/if you have kids they will come out how you expect.

You can't guarantee the person you choose to have kids with will lead to have having successful children in the future. So why chance it?

The moral of that story was the fact that she lied and told to her husband that she never had surgery.
It's geneteics and normal people never get divorced argue over beauty of their children. Some families are having disabled children, and they still care for them. baby is a fruit of love, baby is proof of love (for me at least). You want to exand love by giving life to someone who was born out of love and care for him/her.

TBH I'm will not think about "human race alive" (rural chinese and Indian people are doing that job) when I will have a baby.
Reply 5
Original post by Kiss
Why chance having children in case they might be deemed ugly in the eyes of society over something you can love and care for? If you really are that shallow and if that's really how you think then you don't deserve to have children.

I'm talking about the idea that being a certain way, will achieve a certain result. When in reality that is not always the case.

The word I used was 'successful' I mean that in every sense I.e career, personal life etc.

I want my kids to have and be the best, like any parent would.

And by the way, I would love my kids UNCONDITIONALLY no matter what, but I still want them to have it all.
Reply 6
Original post by SkinnyKat
People like kids and there is a strong biological urge to have them in some people :dontknow:

We are not ruled by our biological urges, otherwise it would be utter mayhem.

Still not really a reason to.
Reply 7
Beauty doesn't define your future success in life. Perfect example is Stephen Hawkins.
Reply 8
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
The desire to have kids shouldn't be dampened by the possibility that they end up ugly. That's just life, some kids are good-looking, others aren't. Looks aren't the be all and end all anyway.

That's true, but, that sound like your having kids 'just cos' not that greatest basis to have children.
Reply 9
Original post by lNurl
The moral of that story was the fact that she lied and told to her husband that she never had surgery.
It's geneteics and normal people never get divorced argue over beauty of their children. Some families are having disabled children, and they still care for them. baby is a fruit of love, baby is proof of love (for me at least). You want to exand love by giving life to someone who was born out of love and care for him/her.

TBH I'm will not think about "human race alive" (rural chinese and Indian people are doing that job) when I will have a baby.

Kind of self really. You will have kids, because their a sign of your love. Where their say?
Reply 10
Original post by SoftPunch
Beauty doesn't define your future success in life. Perfect example is Stephen Hawkins.

It may not solely define, but it does have a major impact on their success in life, as we are social creatures.
Reply 11
Original post by NHM713
It may not solely define, but it does have a major impact on their success in life, as we are social creatures.

We are?
Reply 12
Original post by SoftPunch
We are?

Yes. We live in a society. People need each other to literally survive.
Reply 13
Original post by NHM713
Yes. We live in a society. People need each other to literally survive.

Deep. Still, you can compensate with other things if you're not exactly beautiful.
There are many ways to contribute and get on top of society.
Reply 14
Well that sank
Reply 15
Original post by NHM713
Kind of self really. You will have kids, because their a sign of your love. Where their say?

What you mean their say?? Kids say? I have no intention to take away their freedom or say because I made them. What I am saying is, kids are fruit of love, they made with love, my kids will be proud that they are made with love and have loving parents who love each other and their baby.
Original post by NHM713
Well that sank

Well, it is a bit of a daft question. People have children for all sorts of reasons. I still think that furthering the race is relevant, because the 7 billion people you seem happy with in your OP will all die one day.

Anyway, some people have children so that they have extensions of themselves/can live vicariously through them, can give their children what they didn't have themselves, to pass on a family name/heritage, to claim [more] benefits (c'mon, we all know some people do this), to have something left after a partner dies (like if your partner's terminal and your offspring will in a way prolong them), to have someone to look after you when you're old, to have someone else to give your love and life to, because you're rich and want to pass the wealth on/keep it in the family, because you got pregant accidentally and don't believe in/want abortion, feel a child would give you a purpose in life, etc etc etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Musie Suzie
Well, it is a bit of a daft question. People have children for all sorts of reasons. I still think that furthering the race is relevant, because the 7 billion people you seem happy with in your OP will all die one day.

Anyway, some people have children so that they have extensions of themselves/can live vicariously through them, can give their children what they didn't have themselves, to pass on a family name/heritage, to claim [more] benefits (c'mon, we all know some people do this), to have something left after a partner dies (like if your partner's terminal and your offspring will in a way prolong them), to have someone to look after you when you're old, to have someone else to give your love and life to, because you're rich and want to pass the wealth on/keep it in the family, because you got pregant accidentally and don't believe in/want abortion, feel a child would give you a purpose in life, etc etc etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

7 billion and counting is alot of people. Surely one must question what will be left the following generations if you mindless procreate just because you feel like it.
I'm not saying stop having kids, just consider what their lives will be like.

I couldn't image putting my children in an environment where resources have all but dried up. It says something about a person who would do that to the people you'd assume they loved the most.
Reply 18
Original post by lNurl
What you mean their say?? Kids say? I have no intention to take away their freedom or say because I made them. What I am saying is, kids are fruit of love, they made with love, my kids will be proud that they are made with love and have loving parents who love each other and their baby.

Is that enough though? all fair and well you love your children, that not to guarantee them success/happiness in their lives. We is to me a good reason to have them because can be really good.
Original post by NHM713
there is 7 billion of us. We are the most common species on earth.
Pretty sure that's not true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending