The Student Room Group

Feeling really low about the friendzone

I literally don't think I am capable of being friends with a girl without developing feelings for her. I asked one of my closest friends out before Christmas. Her response was she didn't want a relationship because things had ended badly with other guys she dated.....and basically she didn't want the same thing to happen with me.

I took that as 'she isn't interested so move on' but we've become really close friends. In hindsight I kind of knew at the time what her response was going to be. Today we met up for the first time since and I felt horribly awkward, quite bitter about the situation and really didn't want to be around her. From experience, I know how hard it is to stay friends after being rejected.

I think she is a genuinely sweet girl but being honest, there's no way I'm ever going to be satisfied as just friends. I don't want to hurt her because she is so nice but that in itself is the problem. Any advice? We are in lectures together the whole time and I don't want to carry on hating on her but really, is there anything that can make the situation better?
Reply 1
To be brutally honest, she isn't interested mate and you need to accept it. It isn't fair to put her in such an awkward situation, because it isn't her fault she doesn't like you. It's more your fault for making her feel bad about it. If you can accept it I'm sure you can carry on as friends. If not... best leave her alone.
Honestly becoming just friends with women without getting feelings for them would be so much easier if lots of women liked you to begin with.
Reply 3
Original post by yo radical one
Honestly becoming just friends with women without getting feelings for them would be so much easier if lots of women liked you to begin with.

Work on your game then. You might get somewhere.
Reply 4
Original post by sarahzodiac
To be brutally honest, she isn't interested mate and you need to accept it. It isn't fair to put her in such an awkward situation, because it isn't her fault she doesn't like you. It's more your fault for making her feel bad about it. If you can accept it I'm sure you can carry on as friends. If not... best leave her alone.

I know and I don't want to make her feel bad. I don't want to hurt her at the same time because I know I still mean something to her. Also I don't want to hurt myself cos at the end of the day I just don't want to get more attached and see her dating some other guy. I feel like I need to be more open about this with her.
Reply 5
Maybe you just need to take some time away from her to think about your priorities and how much you value your friendship with her.
Reply 6
You don't want her as a friend and she doesn't want you as a boyfriend, therefore you should cut all ties and move on
Original post by Machop
You don't want her as a friend and she doesn't want you as a boyfriend, therefore you should cut all ties and move on

+1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending