The Student Room Group

Throat cancer worries! ongoing lump in throat for 2 months.

Hello.

Since the beginning of December I have had this big lump in throat feeling that has been obstructing food in my throat, sometimes I'll have to regurgitate alot of my food and try to reswallow it several times to get it all down, and recently I have experienced other very distressing symptoms such as ear pain, tickly cough that has brought up blood on a few occasions, difficulty swallowing, and this husky voice that won't go away.

I have been to see a few doctors about this and they examined my throat said they saw inflammation and catarrh on the back of my throat and said it was the aftermath of a viral infection and should clear up relatively soon, that was 3 weeks ago, and since then, symptoms have gotten much worse. whenever I swallow, it literally feels like a marble in my throat, and it doesn't go away.

I told him my fears of cancer and they explained that since I don't smoke or chew tobacco, and the fact that I'm 22 years old, means that I almost certainly don't have throat cancer, however it actually feels like there's a lump in my throat, as whenever I push on the left side of my windpipe, where the lump is, it gets all irritated and I cough, as to where I do on the right side, I don't feel anything.

So I went back to the doctors and they referred me over to ENT but said that it is very unlikely to be cancer. however, the referral is apparently going to take weeks, by which time, this problem could be so much worse.

They tell yo almost everywhere that to get a better chance of recovery, you need to get it seen early, and I'm being made to wait weeks? I feel powerless right now.

I have all the symptoms of suspected throat cancer, everywhere you look, you'll see these being the symptoms (these also are the symptoms I have)

Ear pain

Burning sensation at the back of my throat

Feeling of having something solid in the throat constantly

Dry, tickly cough

A husky, hoarse voice that's lasted over 3 weeks

Swallowing difficulties

Coughing up blood on occasions

Pains on both sides of my neck

Painful throat when swallowing

Thankfully, I haven't lost any weight, so that reassures me a little bit. however, I want to address this problem as soon as possible but I am being made to wait.

What are the chances of me having throat cancer at my age? should I stop worrying about it being cancer and just power through the symptoms until my appointment? I am at wits end and I don't know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Honestly I also have my doubts that it's cancer. I would just take whatever medication you've been given (if any) and wait for the examination.
Reply 2
It's incredibly unlikely it's throat cancer. The vast majority of people who end up with it have smoked and drank over several years if not decades. Wait and see what ENT say to you.
One of my relatives had this before - it was inflammation. Talk as little as possible for now.
Reply 4
Original post by HotfireLegend
One of my relatives had this before - it was inflammation. Talk as little as possible for now.

How long did the inflammation last?
Try to relax, it's unlikely, and you've been referred to the right people :smile:.

My brother in law has just been diagnosed by cancer that causes similar symptoms and he has trouble swallowing, so I can't say it's impossible, but the doctors know what they're talking about, they've seen the problem, and have said it's unlikely :smile:.
*with, sorry.
Original post by Demonicham
How long did the inflammation last?

About two months, but it varies on a case-by-case basis. Once she got medication, it started getting better.
Reply 8
Original post by HotfireLegend
About two months, but it varies on a case-by-case basis. Once she got medication, it started getting better.

Hmm, well I've had penicillin for it and a nasal spray for suspected post nasal drip causing the symptoms. The penicillin was a 10 day course which I completed, and there was no improvement in symptoms whatsoever. the Nasal spray takes about 2 weeks to show any improvement and I started taking it last Monday and I've not seen improvement so far.

I would also like to add that I seem to get throbbing pains in the areas of my neck which have lymph glands, which is quite scary as well.
Just remembered this thread from a while back... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2062289

It seems like you might be letting your health worries get the better of you again
Reply 10
Hello.

Since the beginning of December I have had this big lump in throat feeling that has been obstructing food in my throat, sometimes I'll have to regurgitate alot of my food and try to reswallow it several times to get it all down, and recently I have experienced other very distressing symptoms such as ear pain, tickly cough that has brought up blood on a few occasions, difficulty swallowing, and this husky voice that won't go away.

I have been to see a few doctors about this and they examined my throat said they saw inflammation and catarrh on the back of my throat and said it was the aftermath of a viral infection and should clear up relatively soon, that was 3 weeks ago, and since then, symptoms have gotten much worse. whenever I swallow, it literally feels like a marble in my throat, and it doesn't go away.

I told him my fears of cancer and they explained that since I don't smoke or chew tobacco, and the fact that I'm 22 years old, means that I almost certainly don't have throat cancer, however it actually feels like there's a lump in my throat, as whenever I push on the left side of my windpipe, where the lump is, it gets all irritated and I cough, as to where I do on the right side, I don't feel anything.

So I went back to the doctors and they referred me over to ENT but said that it is very unlikely to be cancer. however, the referral is apparently going to take weeks, by which time, this problem could be so much worse.

They tell yo almost everywhere that to get a better chance of recovery, you need to get it seen early, and I'm being made to wait weeks? I feel powerless right now.

I have all the symptoms of suspected throat cancer, everywhere you look, you'll see these being the symptoms (these also are the symptoms I have)

Ear pain

Burning sensation at the back of my throat

Feeling of having something solid in the throat constantly

Dry, tickly cough

A husky, hoarse voice that's lasted over 3 weeks

Swallowing difficulties

Coughing up blood on occasions

Pains on both sides of my neck

Painful throat when swallowing

Thankfully, I haven't lost any weight, so that reassures me a little bit. however, I want to address this problem as soon as possible but I am being made to wait.

What are the chances of me having throat cancer at my age? should I stop worrying about it being cancer and just power through the symptoms until my appointment? I am at wits end and I don't know what to do.

What was the outcome of your muscle wasting symptoms?
Hmm, well I've had penicillin for it and a nasal spray for suspected post nasal drip causing the symptoms. The penicillin was a 10 day course which I completed, and there was no improvement in symptoms whatsoever. the Nasal spray takes about 2 weeks to show any improvement and I started taking it last Monday and I've not seen improvement so far.

I would also like to add that I seem to get throbbing pains in the areas of my neck which have lymph glands, which is quite scary as well.

See bolded and italicised :P It's no wonder you've seen no improvement yet!
Reply 12
Original post by Egypt
What was the outcome of your muscle wasting symptoms?

It was down to stress. My mother had died and it was put down to bereavement. however this time around, it's stopping me eating and I'm coughing up blood. I do apologise if this is something I shouldn't be worried about.
Reply 13
It was down to stress. My mother had died and it was put down to bereavement. however this time around, it's stopping me eating and I'm coughing up blood. I do apologise if this is something I shouldn't be worried about.

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you're feeling better.

Easy as it sounds, I would just wait for the ENT opinion and see what happens.
Reply 14
I know you're probably tired of hearing me go on about my health, but I am getting quite concerned. there literally feels like there's something stuck in my throat now and my voice is starting to sound like I smoke about 50 cigarettes a day. I want to get this seen to as soon as possible but I don't think I can wait for it to get worse. It's stopping me from eating and drinking properly, talking properly, swallowing properly, and the doctors don't seem that worried which is causing me alot of concern.

What are the chances of me having throat cancer? How low is it? because right now, unless there's other conditions which cause the exact same symptoms as throat cancer, or there's a condition other than cancer which can cause some kind of obstruction lump in my throat that never goes away and lasts over 2 months, and causes me to cough up blood, then I don't know what else it could be.

The fact that I haven't lost weight is my only reassurance right now, but I feel as if that could happen at any time.
I know you're probably tired of hearing me go on about my health, but I am getting quite concerned. there literally feels like there's something stuck in my throat now and my voice is starting to sound like I smoke about 50 cigarettes a day. I want to get this seen to as soon as possible but I don't think I can wait for it to get worse. It's stopping me from eating and drinking properly, talking properly, swallowing properly, and the doctors don't seem that worried which is causing me alot of concern.

What are the chances of me having throat cancer? How low is it? because right now, unless there's other conditions which cause the exact same symptoms as throat cancer, or there's a condition other than cancer which can cause some kind of obstruction lump in my throat that never goes away and lasts over 2 months, and causes me to cough up blood, then I don't know what else it could be.

The fact that I haven't lost weight is my only reassurance right now, but I feel as if that could happen at any time.

If you're really worried, just go to A&E.
Reply 16
Original post by Watch Key Phone
If you're really worried, just go to A&E.

I have been a few times. they say they can't do anything, they just tell me to see my doctor and get an ENT appointment
I have been a few times. they say they can't do anything, they just tell me to see my doctor and get an ENT appointment

If you are unable to eat, drink, or speak properly - then it would be irresponsible for them to send you home.
Reply 18
Original post by Watch Key Phone
If you are unable to eat, drink, or speak properly - then it would be irresponsible for them to send you home.

I explained to them that I need this looked at but they said they didn't have the power to send me for those kinds of tests. they said they only deal with acute problems that are life threatening at that specific time. guess I'll have to wait. isn't there any way I can speed up the referral?
I explained to them that I need this looked at but they said they didn't have the power to send me for those kinds of tests. they said they only deal with acute problems that are life threatening at that specific time. guess I'll have to wait. isn't there any way I can speed up the referral?

Out of interest, how many times have you been to your GP and A&E in the last year?

Latest