The Student Room Group

A level history help for this summer 2014 urgent!!

Need to revise for May exams, doing 6H01 China 1900-1949 and Russia in Revolution,

For Unit 2- WW1 Homefront and Crimea/Boer

Any help?? Im at a C right now :frown:(
Original post by yasminzaracc
Need to revise for May exams, doing 6H01 China 1900-1949 and Russia in Revolution,

For Unit 2- WW1 Homefront and Crimea/Boer

Any help?? Im at a C right now :frown:(

What help do you need with the Russia in Revolution topic? And for unit 2? :smile: I got As in both papers last year so hopefully I can help you a bit :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Ohmygod that's amazing!!!! God, I could never get an A :frown: Russia in Revolution: I have made notes for the whole textbook, and we are starting it next week. I want to be in exam mode, doing past papers, just studying events :smile: I find Russia is a lot harder than China for some reason, maybe its because I have a different teacher :/ In Unit 2, I need to balance the argument more and I just don't get the source based answers, because Unit 1 is the complete opposite. How did you prepare for your History exams? :biggrin: x
Ohmygod that's amazing!!!! God, I could never get an A :frown: Russia in Revolution: I have made notes for the whole textbook, and we are starting it next week. I want to be in exam mode, doing past papers, just studying events :smile: I find Russia is a lot harder than China for some reason, maybe its because I have a different teacher :/ In Unit 2, I need to balance the argument more and I just don't get the source based answers, because Unit 1 is the complete opposite. How did you prepare for your History exams? :biggrin: x

Thank you! Of course you could :h: it sounds like you're preparing yourself well, so that's great. Past papers are great to look at because they do tend to repeat topics (specifically the three revolutions, changes in agriculture and industry, government etc). That could be why!

For unit 2, obviously you don't get credited for using your own knowledge, so manipulate the sources as much as you can, look for inferences, motives of the person, when it was written etc. You're credited for contextual knowledge, so the date can be extremely important in putting the source into perspective! Also, try to cross-compare sources as best as you can, pull out quotes to show that the sources corroborate, but also look for areas in which they disagree and perhaps question why! June 2013 was support for WWI for section A :smile:

As for section b, own knowledge is so important! 24 marks are awarded for your knowledge whilst it's only 16 for using the sources. The best layout for this is to once again, cross compare. Write an essay similar to those in unit 1, but implement the sources to back up your opinions and statements! Keep referring back to the question to show the examiner you understand the argument. Also remember you have to show other sides of the argument. I answered on William Russell and Roger Fenton for this section, so I spoke about their role in the representation of the Crimea, but had to state how other people contributed towards this representation to balance the argument. Challenging both the question and your own opinions are important :smile: (the other option was the Battle of the Somme, so the Boer War didn't come up at all :tongue:)

If you need me to send you any Russia in Revolution essays, feel free to ask! I THINK I still have them on my sixth form network :smile:

I find the best way to revise history is literally to just write out events over and over until you can remember them. Memorise plenty of facts and figures in order to enhance your answers, and as you're already doing, look at past papers to get a general idea of the questions as there definitely seem to be patterns :smile:x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Lucy96
Thank you! Of course you could :h: it sounds like you're preparing yourself well, so that's great. Past papers are great to look at because they do tend to repeat topics (specifically the three revolutions, changes in agriculture and industry, government etc). That could be why!

For unit 2, obviously you don't get credited for using your own knowledge, so manipulate the sources as much as you can, look for inferences, motives of the person, when it was written etc. You're credited for contextual knowledge, so the date can be extremely important in putting the source into perspective! Also, try to cross-compare sources as best as you can, pull out quotes to show that the sources corroborate, but also look for areas in which they disagree and perhaps question why! June 2013 was support for WWI for section A :smile:

As for section b, own knowledge is so important! 24 marks are awarded for your knowledge whilst it's only 16 for using the sources. The best layout for this is to once again, cross compare. Write an essay similar to those in unit 1, but implement the sources to back up your opinions and statements! Keep referring back to the question to show the examiner you understand the argument. Also remember you have to show other sides of the argument. I answered on William Russell and Roger Fenton for this section, so I spoke about their role in the representation of the Crimea, but had to state how other people contributed towards this representation to balance the argument. Challenging both the question and your own opinions are important :smile: (the other option was the Battle of the Somme, so the Boer War didn't come up at all :tongue:)

If you need me to send you any Russia in Revolution essays, feel free to ask! I THINK I still have them on my sixth form network :smile:

I find the best way to revise history is literally to just write out events over and over until you can remember them. Memorise plenty of facts and figures in order to enhance your answers, and as you're already doing, look at past papers to get a general idea of the questions as there definitely seem to be patterns :smile:x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you soo much :smile: Did you always get As for your essays, or was it a steady progression from GCSE? I honestly didn't think the jump would be so big :frown: x
Thank you soo much :smile: Did you always get As for your essays, or was it a steady progression from GCSE? I honestly didn't think the jump would be so big :frown: x

You're welcome :smile: I tended to get As in unit 1 but not unit 2 (think the teacher who taught me unit 2 only gave me one A in the entire year, the rest mostly Bs) I much prefer pure essays to source based ones :tongue: it is quite big, but honestly, the more you practice, the easier it'll become, it does take time :smile: A2 is better as the paper is one pure essay and one source essay :smile:x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Ohhh, what's A2 like? I want to take it but I don't know what to expect, 2nd years at my college undertake coursework on Russia I think or WW1 :frown: x
Ohhh, what's A2 like? I want to take it but I don't know what to expect, 2nd years at my college undertake coursework on Russia I think or WW1 :frown: x

I love it, I'm doing From Kaiser to Führer: Germany 1900-45. It's not much different from AS really! Section A is worth 30 marks and section B is worth 40 :smile: oh cool :biggrin: my coursework is the civil rights movement from 1865-1980 :smile: do you know what the exam topic you'd be doing is?x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
The A2 syllabus at my college is From Kaiser to Fuhrer and the VLE says this will be our coursework "Unit 4 coursework is about political representation in Britain and how it came to be secured in the period 1815 -1929. The key concept is change over time, and to this end you study the role and significance of different groups: the Peterloo protesters, Chartists, Suffragists and Suffragettes, and the labour movement; as well as the wider context in which they operated." hahaha im so screwed :///// x
Original post by Lucy96
I love it, I'm doing From Kaiser to Führer: Germany 1900-45. It's not much different from AS really! Section A is worth 30 marks and section B is worth 40 :smile: oh cool :biggrin: my coursework is the civil rights movement from 1865-1980 :smile: do you know what the exam topic you'd be doing is?x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest