The Student Room Group

Test tomorrow but I have trouble going into 5th gear! Please help.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HayleyL
Clearly you do not have a life....go get one!

Oh. Swear? Ask my dentist.
Reply 21
Original post by bigwhalegambler
Oh. Swear? Ask my dentist.

Wow!!
I would echo the advice "Take your time". The car will be going so quickly that the gear change does not need to be rushed. Stay relaxed and change at your leisure.

When my pupils struggle with going into the correct gear, I advise as follows:

The gear selection is quite narrow and it is very easy to push the gear stick too far, or not enough, when changing gear. If you push the gear stick out of 4th a little too far, you end up in the channel for 3rd and then, when you try to move across into the channel for 5th, the gear lever can't do it and so you end up in 3rd. What I recommend is to push it out of 4th and then release your grip on it for a split second i.e., let go of it completely. This will allow the gear stick to find its natural resting place which is right in the middle. Then, take hold of it move it to the right and then forward. This should mean that you do not end up in the channel for 3rd.

A couple of things though. Don't take your hand away from the gear stick; the release of it should be for a nanosecond only. Follow the diagram accurately and think of it as 3 separate movements: forward, right and forward again, rather than one single movement. If you add the little release specified above between the forward and the right, this should solve your problem.

Finally, relax when you do it. 5th is very forgiving and you can really take your time...

Best wishes
Seperate the movements and do them slowly so it is gently forward just so you feel it go into neutral, push it along to the right as far as you can go, and then push forward. Go with the flow and don't force the gearstick. Going along the bypass I almost went into 3rd on my test, realised what I was doing and kept the clutch down until I sorted it - I was going pretty fast so thought I would stall if I brought the clutch up which would be pretty deadly if someone coming up behind you was going at 70mph - I didn't stall or damage the gearbox and I passed, so I think as along as you don't panic it will be okay.
Don't try to go diagonally and rush it, make it a sure thing, put your palm on the opposite, left, side of the gear stick and go CLUNK up, CLUNK right, CLUNK up.
Reply 25
Original post by Emma-Ashley
I would echo the advice "Take your time". The car will be going so quickly that the gear change does not need to be rushed. Stay relaxed and change at your leisure.

When my pupils struggle with going into the correct gear, I advise as follows:

The gear selection is quite narrow and it is very easy to push the gear stick too far, or not enough, when changing gear. If you push the gear stick out of 4th a little too far, you end up in the channel for 3rd and then, when you try to move across into the channel for 5th, the gear lever can't do it and so you end up in 3rd. What I recommend is to push it out of 4th and then release your grip on it for a split second i.e., let go of it completely. This will allow the gear stick to find its natural resting place which is right in the middle. Then, take hold of it move it to the right and then forward. This should mean that you do not end up in the channel for 3rd.

A couple of things though. Don't take your hand away from the gear stick; the release of it should be for a nanosecond only. Follow the diagram accurately and think of it as 3 separate movements: forward, right and forward again, rather than one single movement. If you add the little release specified above between the forward and the right, this should solve your problem.

Finally, relax when you do it. 5th is very forgiving and you can really take your time...

Best wishes

Thank you that is very helpful! You sound like you've encountered similar situations before. I think exactly what you've described is my issue, when coming out of 4th I've pushed it a bit too far forwards and so I can't get across into fifth. I'll be sure to take your advice tomorrow. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer, what you've said really makes sense :smile:.
Reply 26
Original post by TheRabbit
Seperate the movements and do them slowly so it is gently forward just so you feel it go into neutral, push it along to the right as far as you can go, and then push forward. Go with the flow and don't force the gearstick. Going along the bypass I almost went into 3rd on my test, realised what I was doing and kept the clutch down until I sorted it - I was going pretty fast so thought I would stall if I brought the clutch up which would be pretty deadly if someone coming up behind you was going at 70mph - I didn't stall or damage the gearbox and I passed, so I think as along as you don't panic it will be okay.

Original post by scrotgrot
Don't try to go diagonally and rush it, make it a sure thing, put your palm on the opposite, left, side of the gear stick and go CLUNK up, CLUNK right, CLUNK up.

Thank you guys, I'll definitely put this into practice tomorrow! :smile:
I used to have this issue- though it was due to a fault with the car.

I found that putting it into neutral for a brief second before shifting it to fifth was a big help. It'll give you that split second to make sure you're moving it the right way.
Original post by bramley
Thank you guys, I'll definitely put this into practice tomorrow! :smile:

Now I think about it, for a time after I learned I would always separate the movements too. Let go and let the gear stick spring back into the middle itself, then you know where it is.
Don't do it all in one go, because you'll mess it up.

Do it like this:

1) Push up a bit so it pops out of 4th into neutral.

2) Pull towards you

3) Push up.
Reply 30
Original post by OneDayDoctor
I used to have this issue- though it was due to a fault with the car.

I found that putting it into neutral for a brief second before shifting it to fifth was a big help. It'll give you that split second to make sure you're moving it the right way.

Ah ok, I would be surprised if her car had an issue with it, as she does it fine, so it must be just me :redface: I think leaving it in neutral for a second is a good idea as then hopefully you can very deliberately go right. Thanks :smile:.

Original post by scrotgrot
Now I think about it, for a time after I learned I would always separate the movements too. Let go and let the gear stick spring back into the middle itself, then you know where it is.

Yeah letting it go into neutral first is probably best. Thanks!
I had problems with that too, just do the same technique use to go from 2nd to 3rd lift it up, gently relax your arm so that it's in the middle, push to the right and drag up.

It could help to cup your hand to the left while you move it so that there's extra pressure on that side.

Good luck mate, sure you'll ace the test!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Luke070
I would say try transitioning into 5th gear a bit slower. Calm down, slowly build up speed and make the switch smoothly. If you happen to go into 3rd, be assertive and just go back into 4th. Good luck :smile:

Key word. When you are learning you want to change gears too quickly and dont realise you have a bit more time.
Good luck for your test !!

I used to struggle getting the car from 3rd gear to fifth but I would always panic and try to rush the gear change ! Just relax and do not rush the gear change and it should go where you want it too ! :smile: x
Reply 34
Thanks for your advice everyone! It actually really helped and I got into fifth gear fine and I passed! Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 35
Congrats what did you get minors for if you did get any?
Original post by bramley
Thanks for your advice everyone! It actually really helped and I got into fifth gear fine and I passed! Thanks :biggrin:

YAY! Well done! :biggrin:
Reply 37
Original post by Joeey009
Congrats what did you get minors for if you did get any?

Thanks, I got 7 minors, some for things like coasting a bit and one for messing up one of the questions at the beginning, which was because of nerves really. I can't remember the rest sorry!

Original post by bubble999
YAY! Well done! :biggrin:

Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by bramley
Thanks, I got 7 minors, some for things like coasting a bit and one for messing up one of the questions at the beginning, which was because of nerves really. I can't remember the rest sorry!

Thank you :biggrin:

Well done:smile:
Reply 39
Did my driving test today, I too have problems with gear 5, had national speed limit section in my test and made it upto 65-68 in gear four, failed for a doggy change of direction on a roundabout, hope to get another test soon and practice with those roundabouts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending