The Student Room Group

Tutoring after A2s - is it possible?

Hi TSR,

I've been considering the possibility of tutoring GCSE/ AS/ A2 students in languages in my free time, for a bit of money. Is this possible? Do you think anyone would actually consider me? Or do they only consider university students? I have A2s in both languages.

I'd obviously charge a lower rate than people with higher qualifications...

Anyone have experience with tutoring? I really enjoy languages so would love to be able to help kids out with them.
For GCSE students you could probably totally go for it - people and parents would certainly see your A2s assuming you have good grades as proof that you would be good for the job. However for AS you may be less popular and for A2 as you literally have the same qualification as people are trying to achieve maybe not. The problem I think for you at AS and A2 is people want someone who has a lot more knowledge so that for virtually every query they will have the answer - without being rude it may be that you don't have the extensive knowledge to go beyond the syllabus which is what many will want.
Reply 2
Original post by I like school
For GCSE students you could probably totally go for it - people and parents would certainly see your A2s assuming you have good grades as proof that you would be good for the job. However for AS you may be less popular and for A2 as you literally have the same qualification as people are trying to achieve maybe not. The problem I think for you at AS and A2 is people want someone who has a lot more knowledge so that for virtually every query they will have the answer - without being rude it may be that you don't have the extensive knowledge to go beyond the syllabus which is what many will want.

Thanks for your reply :smile: With German I have a TestDaF certificate which is a C1 proficiency exam, and plan to get the equivalent certificate for Spanish later this year. Do you think those would make me a more attractive candidate to parents?

I get what you're saying though. GCSE or lower is probably the best bet.
Reply 3
I've finished my A2s and currently tutor up to 10 students of different levels. It is possible and you can tutor a fair amount of people when they pass the word on to friends if you're a good tutor

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending