The Student Room Group

Do you agree with nationalisation? Railways, energy and utility companies.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Alfissti
What else would you like to steal next?

How about farms and factories that produces food?

Will brick, cement and steel plants be next on your list too?

I proudly support nationalisation of the manufacturing industry, yes. Part of the reason why we're in this deficit crisis is because we've got no income to supplement our welfare schemes, since Thatcher sold off (gifted) our industries to private firms. Anyway, that's a topic for another thread.
The theory of privatisation is good: better efficiency, lower prices due to increased competition (although not really the case due to the extremely high barriers to entry)

but as with most things the reality and theory are pretty different. The main way to improve privatised industries is to increase the power of the regulators.
Reply 42
Original post by sectumsempra
The theory of privatisation is good: better efficiency, lower prices due to increased competition (although not really the case due to the extremely high barriers to entry)

but as with most things the reality and theory are pretty different. The main way to improve privatised industries is to increase the power of the regulators.

The theory of capitalism is always good, but the matter of fact is that free markets never remain free for long - companies monopolise and do everything they can to get as much money as they can. Even if this means paying workers extortionately low wages, or letting pensioners freeze in their homes come winter.

Markets do work, in innocent areas like services, catering and what-not. But should we really leave a vital chunk of British society to the whim of a few foreign companies? I don't think so.
Reply 43
Original post by JamesGibson
I proudly support nationalisation of the manufacturing industry, yes. Part of the reason why we're in this deficit crisis is because we've got no income to supplement our welfare schemes, since Thatcher sold off (gifted) our industries to private firms. Anyway, that's a topic for another thread.

Yeah, another thread. But they weren't making a profit (BR and British Coal Board certainly, mebby the energy industry was), so they were sucking money not supplementing it.
Reply 44
When the welfare of British people are at stake, I think it's fair to take back our rails from the international hedgefunds and brokers that bought into it. Our government needs to stop pandering to business/financial interests and start doing what's right for ordinary people.

And you think their welfare will be improved when investment from the likes of Canadian, Australian, Singaporian, Hong Kong and US pension funds collapses due to fear that you will steal their other assets? I'm not saying there are no private equity firms invested but your statement is essentially condoning the raiding of global pension and infrastructure funds who invested in our assets.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:colone:uWpK3H1U7EJ:www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/market-studies/ownership-control-mapping/water-ownership-database.xls+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

The above is just water alone, let alone energy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/globalbusiness/9469070/The-Canadian-pensioners-who-own-Britain.html

A relevant article.

If you want to bring these services into state control then that's fine but to simply steal them without compensating them adequately is idiocy in an open economy. I also strongly suspect that is illegal to do so under the terms of the world trade organisation as well.
Reply 45
Original post by Rakas21
And you think their welfare will be improved when investment from the likes of Canadian, Australian, Singaporian, Hong Kong and US pension funds collapses due to fear that you will steal their other assets? I'm not saying there are no private equity firms invested but your statement is essentially condoning the raiding of global pension and infrastructure funds who invested in our assets.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:colone:uWpK3H1U7EJ:www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/market-studies/ownership-control-mapping/water-ownership-database.xls+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

The above is just water alone, let alone energy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/globalbusiness/9469070/The-Canadian-pensioners-who-own-Britain.html

A relevant article.

If you want to bring these services into state control then that's fine but to simply steal them without compensating them adequately is idiocy in an open economy. I also strongly suspect that is illegal to do so under the terms of the world trade organisation as well.

Fair enough. I completely agree with either compensating or nationalizing the genuinely personal hedge funds involved, but the institutional investors should really be forced to get out of Britain's vital infrastructure.
Reply 46
Fair enough. I completely agree with either compensating or nationalizing the genuinely personal hedge funds involved, but the institutional investors should really be forced to get out of Britain's vital infrastructure.

Ideologically i'd disagree with that but that's legally and morally fair enough should the electorate vote for that policy.
I dont feel the government should nationalize these industries, this is because they can simply set a price maximum/ceiling on the industry. This would then mean the companies can only charge so much,moreover the businesses cant complain about profit because the cost of raw material like you said isnt increasing. This would then leave competition in the industry, consumers happy and still good corporation tax revenue for the government.
When the welfare of British people are at stake, I think it's fair to take back our rails from the international hedgefunds and brokers that bought into it. Our government needs to stop pandering to business/financial interests and start doing what's right for ordinary people.

You are aware that the biggest investors in the UK are pension funds?

That basically means that your power to the people approach to economics means that members of the public in both public and private sector would loose their pensions.
Reply 49
Miliband has been wise to raise attention to an issue that's been effecting ordinary people for decades - the extortionate bills being charged by transport and energy companies. Bills have been rising consistently year and year, and there's keen evidence to suggest that this is not entirely because of increasing cost of raw fuel, but instead a consequence of cold-hearted profiteering on the behalf of a few business fatcats.

Just two weeks the 2.8% rise in rail fares came into effect. A fair increase or another attempt to make life harder for ordinary people to get to work and back. Could public ownership protect British people from profit-driven interests of these private companies?

Do you think that Britain should nationalise its railway and energy companies?

YES. I have a Bring Back British Rail sticker on my laptop and the FREE stickers I ordered from the Bring Back British Rail sticker have been really popular with all my friends. I also have the ticket wallet which was only £2 and always raises a smile/eyebrows from fellow passengers/staff (decide which one is which for yourself!!). You just have to look at East Coast - cheapest franchise in the UK and it's tremendously popular.

With regards to the rail fare increase, I now have to pay £100 a month for a season ticket - my daily commute is 20 minutes. Got to love living in the suburbs of Glasgow...

Have you considered the knock on effects on the welfare of the British people when the international hedge funds, brokers, pensions funds and national governments who you're stealing from decide to stop dealing with the UK? I think you'll find that international trade sanctions, mass unemployment and the collapse of the UK financial sector will make expensive trains look attractive.
Privatision is really something desired by those who have strong beliefs in free market, laissez faire economies - these people might be called neoliberals or neoConservatives. In their mind, private business is far more efficient than the public sector, therefore all utilities should be nationalised for greater efficiency and output. This was quite clearly the mindset of Margaret Thatcher, a keen promoter of business ethics inside the public sector.

Unfortunately, years down the line, the Thatcher government has left us with a private utilities sector that is failing the public in almost all regards. To nationalise an industry, you must upset quite a few business leaders and thinkers - often the same people who're donating to the Tory Party and even Liberal Democrats. Being seen as anti-business is not a desired image in the modern political world.

While I think we should adopt a more anti-business, pro-common ownership approach, the current culture in parliament is very much in favour of timid reforms and insignificant regulations. Nationalisation is really the thing ordinary British people have been calling for.

Yes, and this is a strong argument for Scottish independence. Vote Yes.
Original post by flugelr
I can't think of any industry that didn't suffer under nationalisation. British Shipbuilers, British Rail, British Areospace, British Coal etc; they all suffered from chronic mismanagement and lack of investment by a variety of governments. The majority of these industries are now much more reliable, much more productive and much more technologically 'cutting edge' than they ever were under nationalisation. I can't see how re-nationalisng them would improve anything.

Money didn't get spent on them. That is why Thatcher shut them down - she only saw profit. You need to spend money to make money. If you have a business, and don't spend money on it, would you expect it to get better or worse?
Original post by Abdul-Karim
The nationalisation of Natural monopolies is a decent idea, imo. Employ private sector heads and give them a decent wage to maintain efficiency. Private sector monopolies with no market contestibilty have no incentives to act in Public interest. It's all easy to say the government should nationalise something but there are other methods which may be more useful. Increased regulation on these sector and stronger pricing controls. RPI-X should be implemented definitely to encourage such firms to be more productive and to maintain a revenue from Corp tax. Although it can be argued that with increasing costs and inflation the companies themseleves can't be blamed. Regulatory capture might also be a problem in such markets.

How about if it were nationalised? Without profit incentive, what's the point in trying to invest/improve? Neo-liberals would argue that the Government are useless when it comes to innovation. I reckon without the free-market, prices would be at a an all time-high. Atleast the Private sector have some form of competition. As long as no colluding is allowed in markets for energy, I think the outcome currently achieved is pretty good. Contestibility itself is good, by nationalising such firms and implementing such barriers to entry who's to say the government won't screw up the whole operation?

You are wrong about that. Free market promotes public money for private profit. In other words, people hand their money for someone rich to get richer. The benefits of public services should be shared by the whole nation. Not a handful of a select few who get rich at the expense of others. Why do you think energy bills recently went up by 9%?
Original post by Rakas21
I'm afraid this is incorrect.

If you take railway operators then as they under franchise agreements you can simply wait them out for free so that's okay and Network Rail is already so you've got your railways sorted for nothing. Energy and water on the other hand are different beasts. They are not subject to time expiration franchise agreements and as such you would have to purchase them at market price. If you do not purchase them at market price then in the case of water for example you have just raided the pensions of Canadians and Singaporeans. The National Grid is multinational and would be pretty complicated to buy and also expensive (market cap is well over £20bn).

It's not as easy as just seizing control unless you want to piss off other countries who have invested in these companies and that's before you get to your ordinary people who may do it through work or have small investments themselves or through an ISA.

Hey Rakas. Do you ever get a sense of deja vu when these come up? Another good example on these is power, because the French government still owns 80% of EDF, and I think we might find trade with the EU a little difficult if we stole billions of quids worth of assets from them (E.On is based and traded in Germany with a good deal of local investment, so it looks like we'd be annoying the entire mainland)
Because it'll allow us to bring back our services under democratic control, rather than in the hands of whichever institution has the most money. Our services should be directed on the basis of the needs and wants of British citizens, not dictated by this invisible hand of the free market.

Strongly agree.
Reply 56
Original post by Choo.choo
Money didn't get spent on them. That is why Thatcher shut them down - she only saw profit. You need to spend money to make money. If you have a business, and don't spend money on it, would you expect it to get better or worse?

You have to spend money efficiently in the right places, simply throwing money at something does not always improve services or profitability and there is plenty of evidence historically to suggest that the state is not very good at efficient allocation on a micro business scale. In addition one of many supporting reasons for shutting them down rather than making them independent state entities (the only real way to improve while still owned by the state) was that the unions of the time were militant and in some cases industries really did have to be shut down (it was cheaper to import coal from Poland than extract it from the UK - in addition the EEC actually had to exempt the UK from sulfur regulations as our coal was so dirty in comparison to others).

Profit was certainly her prime motivation for the country but simply throwing money at all our industries was not the answer.

You know what you're talking about.
Remember that the companies involved in the energy industry make profit, nationalisation would mean the government would get that profit - not the companies. There are no costs involved for the government. Except in the case of a nationalised industry, the government can choose to pursue lower profit margins to benefit the population at large, or decide to improve infrastructure in certain areas.

Leaving these things to the 'hand of the free market' sounds quite loony to be honest.

The money should be given to citizens at a very local level to allow them to make decisions about how the money is spent.
Reply 59
Original post by M_Craig
With regards to the rail fare increase, I now have to pay £100 a month for a season ticket - my daily commute is 20 minutes. Got to love living in the suburbs of Glasgow...

Bad luck, my journey is from just outside central to the suburbs, no ticket barrier so my effective fare is about 50% off. So far this week I've had to buy one single and one return.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending