The Student Room Group

What are the 4 easiest, respectable A levels?

when I mean respectable, I mean A levels like Maths, Economics, Biology, etc. Not like BTEC something or Art lol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
General Studies or Critical Thinking can't get enough of that and apparently "it looks good when applying to Uni"...
I'd say English Literature is one. It's not massively challenging as long as you know your texts. Your question is so subjective though :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths, physics, computing, English lit. Didn't take English but it's one of my best subjects, so I imagine it would be easy :tongue:
Reply 4
I personally don't think any A level is easy as every A level requires effort.

Maths is respectable as it shows some range of skills and employers loves a Maths A level.
Reply 5
Original post by StarvingAutist
Maths, physics, computing, English lit. Didn't take English but it's one of my best subjects, so I imagine it would be easy :tongue:

Seriously? How the heck is Maths easy? And Physics? And even Computing? you clearly can't read lol
Reply 6
I agree with Lucy96 in that the question in 100% subjective; I would find science subjects really hard, but found English enjoyable and do-able ('easy' might be going to far though)

Having said this I remember looking for something similar to this thread and I found the Trinity College,Cambridge list of 'hard' (A lists), middling (B) and 'soft' (C) subjects, which might give you some idea:
Here it is

LIST A1
Generally Suitable Science A-levels
Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics

LIST A2
Generally Suitable Arts A-levels
Art History
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Economics
English Literature
French
Geography
German
Greek
History
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Latin
Music
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Russian
Spanish
Welsh

LIST B
Limited Suitability
Archaeology (Arch & Anth)
Art & Design (Architecture/History of Art)
Business Studies (Economics)
Design & Technology (Architecture)
Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
Electronics (Engineering)
English Language (Arts)
Film Studies (Arts)
Government & Politics (Arts)
Law (Law)
Media Studies (Arts)
Psychology (Arts)
Sociology (Arts)

LIST C
Unsuitable A-levels
Accounting
Citizenship
Communication Studies
Critical Thinking
Dance
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Photography
Physical Education
Sports Studies
Travel & Tourism

But again it really is subjective!!

(Also it might depend on the exam board and what is included in the curriculum of that board - e.g. I did much better in the 2 a-levels I did that were WJEC than my 1 in OCR)

Hope this helps!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Enjoyment certainly makes any subject easier. No point doing something you hate just because it's supposed to be an easier A-Level, you will probably do worse than doing something more challenging yet you love it.
Original post by Marhaba
Seriously? How the heck is Maths easy? And Physics? And even Computing? you clearly can't read lol

I assure you I can read :tongue: but honestly, they are all easy! Especially computing and physics! :redface:
Original post by Marhaba

It's very subjective, I find Maths A-Level really easy, it's my 'lazy' subject. But if you asked me to do AS English Lit I'd probably still get a U even if I put 10 times more hours in than the average student.
Reply 10
Original post by StarvingAutist
I assure you I can read :tongue: but honestly, they are all easy! Especially computing and physics! :redface:

I do Maths and personally I find it easy but 70% doing the course in my class are finding it very hard.
Maths, Biology and Psychology.
Reply 12
Original post by Foo.mp3
Media, Critical thinking, Politics, Economics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Economics is easy?

Media and Critical thinking are respectable? :confused:
Original post by Marhaba
I do Maths and personally I find it easy but 70% doing the course in my class are finding it very hard.

Yeah, it's strange. So many people in the other maths classes find it hard, but I'm in the accelerated class and it would just be painfully easy otherwise! At the moment it's just the right balance of interesting and easy. I suppose with maths you either understand it or you don't, whereas people find physics and computing hard because they can't remember certain things. Fortunately I have a good memory :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Foo.mp3
Aye, piece of piss

How is it? the data response questions are HARD
Reply 15
Original post by Foo.mp3
Aye, piece of piss

See above edit (someone called me as I was about to add the bit in parentheses)

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it really isn't since it requires you to understand, analyse and evaluate which requires hard work

Still isn't that respected though

Original post by Marhaba
How is it? the data response questions are HARD

this
Reply 16
Original post by Foo.mp3
Ok I'm a little bit biased as my analytical skills are by far and away my greatest strength, but honestly, once you learn the ropes, it becomes a cake walk :borat:

Please share your techniques :tongue:
Original post by Lucy96
I'd say English Literature is one. It's not massively challenging as long as you know your texts. Your question is so subjective though :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is pure rubbish, English Lit is not one of the 'easiest'.

Questions are not subjective, they have a clear 'aspect of narrative' and a 'genre' you MUST know about to do well.

The texts you read can be quite challenging and to fully understand them you need to know a lot of context, quotes and critical material off by heart.

Eng Lit at A level is not a joke, you can be a master of the subject and come out with a D in the subject like so many people do because they think it's 'subjective' when actually there is a clear checklist to get the marks. A01/2/3/4.
(edited 10 years ago)
Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths.

:colone:
I don't think anyone can answer this question for you. What may be easy for one, may be difficult for another.
Personally I found Chemistry easy (and more enjoyable) at A Level and taught myself. Yet in sixth form English Lit was one of the subjects I struggled with in class and in exams yet a lot of people would probably say English is easier than Chem.

Quick Reply

Latest