The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cowsforsale
Why do they remain the "most popular party"?

Christopher McLean, Senior Researcher at Ipsos MORI Scotland, said: “Over two years on from their landslide victory in the 2011 Scottish Parliament elections, the SNP remain the most popular party among voters in Scotland. Indeed, the SNP’s popularity is aided by the high levels of satisfaction with the party’s leading figures as both the First Minister and Deputy First Minister continue to achieve high approval ratings.

Alex Salmond lies to the public and wastes its money on lavish trips to the US and is popular?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Choo.choo
That was 300 years ago. The union is presently bankrupt, and times have moved on dramatically since 1707.

The union is not bankrupt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Turnout for elections in the UK is one of the lowest in the developed world. The SNP were the only party to gain seats in 2011; all other parties lost seats, regardless of the percentage of people who voted for them

The Scottish Tories gained seats, I am fairly sure-they have 16 MSPs to the Lib Dems pathetic 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Libertatem
What? I'm speaking for Scots. Every Scot falls under the category I listed - governed by those of a different country (the english). If they don't mind being governed by englishmen then I'll gladly exclude them from my future statements about Scots.

That's it, another Yes voter whining about England. We were governed by Scotsmen for 13 years, you utter cretin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Libertatem
A country should be governed completely by it's own countrymen and that really is as simple as it goes. You can argue about the economy and shoot down independence with some projected bull**** figures but there's no denying the fact that we are governed by a government who is catering for a different country than ours.

Do you think everyone in England drives Aston Martins on streets paved with gold?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FinalMH
lol. The leading parties have all made clear signals that if Scotland votes no, then further devolution for Scotland is on the table.

And you believe them? Gordon Brown did not let Scotland have any more devolved powers when he was PM. I just don't believe what Westminster parties say any more. It is all lies to get us to stay in the union. It is time for Scotland to stand on its own two feet.
Original post by Midlander
The Scottish Tories gained seats, I am fairly sure-they have 16 MSPs to the Lib Dems pathetic 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, they lost seats.
The union is not bankrupt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Over £1trillion of debt is not bankruptcy? What would you call it then? The UK government has always been in debt. It was in debt before North Sea oil, and was still in debt after oil revenues were added.
Over £1trillion of debt is not bankruptcy? What would you call it then? The UK government has always been in debt. It was in debt before North Sea oil, and was still in debt after oil revenues were added.

Pretty well all countries are in debt.
Original post by Good bloke
Pretty well all countries are in debt.

Countries that are big, not countries that are small and independent, excluding perhaps Ireland and Iceland, but being independent has gave them absolute 100% autonomy to fix those problems. Scotland is powerless because of the union it is tied to.
Countries that are big, not countries that are small and independent, excluding perhaps Ireland and Iceland, but being independent has gave them absolute 100% autonomy to fix those problems. Scotland is powerless because of the union it is tied to.

Every single EU country, even the smallest, has national debt.
Original post by Good bloke
Every single EU country, even the smallest, has national debt.

Really? Are Norway and Sweden in debt, or Denmark? Never heard that one.
Alex Salmond lies to the public and wastes its money on lavish trips to the US and is popular?

Do you find reading difficult?

Which lies? Cite your sources.

Let's talk about others lying shall we, while we're at it..

Recently, David Cameron was caught out last week when he falsely claimed in a Conservative Party political broadcast that the coalition was "paying down Britain's debts"
Reply 5233
Really? Are Norway and Sweden in debt, or Denmark? Never heard that one.

You've never looked
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_public_debt

Norway 30% debt:GDP
Sweden 39% debt:GDP
Denmark 45% debt:GDP
Original post by Quady
You've never looked
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_public_debt

Norway 30% debt:GDP
Sweden 39% debt:GDP
Denmark 45% debt:GDP

Those countries don't spend money they don't have. They avoided the financial crisis.
Original post by cowsforsale
Do you find reading difficult?

Which lies? Cite your sources.

Let's talk about others lying shall we, while we're at it..

Recently, David Cameron was caught out last week when he falsely claimed in a Conservative Party political broadcast that the coalition was "paying down Britain's debts"

It really annoys me that Scots falsely link independence to Salmond and the SNP. What about voting out the SNP in an independent Scotland? Scottish representation is about 8 or 9%, as there are 650 MP's in Westminster, but only 59 Scottish. So Scottish MP's are in a tiny minority.

The UK government has not been declared bankrupt and has not been in danger of defaulting like the USA has-ergo it is not bankrupt.

There is also far more to our economy than oil. Far more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The UK government has not been declared bankrupt and has not been in danger of defaulting like the USA has-ergo it is not bankrupt.

There is also far more to our economy than oil. Far more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is true. The UK Government has not defaulted on its debts.
It really annoys me that Scots falsely link independence to Salmond and the SNP. What about voting out the SNP in an independent Scotland? Scottish representation is about 8 or 9%, as there are 650 MP's in Westminster, but only 59 Scottish. So Scottish MP's are in a tiny minority.

The SNP have openly accused the unionist parties of not having Scottish interests at heart. You can therefore conclude that they think they are the only party that would be elected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I should add that the UK Government don't care that the oil money is being spent; just as long as the Scots don't get their hands on it, and they will lose this when Scots get independence. No more oil tax receipts for London.

Latest

Trending

Trending