The Student Room Group

Where could I go with my A Level combination?

Hi everyone,
I'm in Year 11 and the AS levels that I'm going to study are:
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Maths
-Spanish
I know I could go into medicine or dentistry with these, but I'm undecided right now as to what I want to do. Are these subjects open to a wide range of degrees/ careers? If so, which ones?

All advice would be appreciated! :smile:
You could do most sciencey subjects (biochem, natural sciences, earth sciences, marine bio, neuroscience, etc) or Spanish (or Spanish with another language like Russian, Arabic, Portuguese, etc).

You'd also be able to do a wide range of courses which don't require specific A-Levels, like Economics, Anthropology, Politics, or Psychology.
Well there are quite a few, you could go into many natural sciences, chemical engineering, biochemistry, maths, Spanish. There are loads but you should bare in mind that different universities require different combinations for A levels for different courses. Also with ones like maths a lot of universities ask for further maths too, chemical engineering may ask for physics. Just look around at what other courses are on offer on university websites.
Reply 3
with biology chemistry and maths you could do any science and math degree i can think of, you might be a bit restricted with a physics degree, and maybe slightly with a mechanical engienering degree but thats a great combination which i went with personally (but with physics)
Reply 4
Original post by eggs_and_bacon
You could do most sciencey subjects (biochem, natural sciences, earth sciences, marine bio, neuroscience, etc) or Spanish (or Spanish with another language like Russian, Arabic, Portuguese, etc).

You'd also be able to do a wide range of courses which don't require specific A-Levels, like Economics, Anthropology, Politics, or Psychology.

Thank you, that's very helpful!
Reply 5
Original post by k4l397
Well there are quite a few, you could go into many natural sciences, chemical engineering, biochemistry, maths, Spanish. There are loads but you should bare in mind that different universities require different combinations for A levels for different courses. Also with ones like maths a lot of universities ask for further maths too, chemical engineering may ask for physics. Just look around at what other courses are on offer on university websites.

Yeah, think I might do that... Thanks a lot for the advice!:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by nmjasdk
with biology chemistry and maths you could do any science and math degree i can think of, you might be a bit restricted with a physics degree, and maybe slightly with a mechanical engienering degree but thats a great combination which i went with personally (but with physics)

ohh do you mean you did five A levels??
yeah I considered physics but I'm not as good it at so there's no point for me, haha, but thank you very much anyway!
Reply 7
Spanish doesn't really relate to your other subjects, but if you're good at it I guess it would help to get another decent grade. Further mates might be a better idea if you could handle the work load:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by shiva300
Spanish doesn't really relate to your other subjects, but if you're good at it I guess it would help to get another decent grade. Further mates might be a better idea if you could handle the work load:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I considered further maths too, but it would mean I would have to do five AS levels because I've heard that just supposing I do decide medicine, then the combination of bio, chem, further maths and maths isn't sufficient:frown: but yeah I really enjoy spanish which is why I'm taking it:redface: thank you!
Reply 10

Thanks for the link! It's helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest