The Student Room Group

Businessman on trial for assaulting two thieves on his property...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Liquid Swordsman
Well firstly because the phrase would not even make sense in that situation

At what point does it become ok to assault somebody? Where do you draw the line?

It makes complete sense in that situation, the teacher cba to see whose fault it was, so just says " two wrongs don't make a right." and hopes to leave it at that.
Original post by MJ1012
It makes complete sense in that situation, the teacher cba to see whose fault it was, so just says " two wrongs don't make a right." and hopes to leave it at that.
Where does the second wrong come from?
Reply 62
Where does the second wrong come from?

From the other kid retaliating to the bullying.
If someone forces themselves into your property, then you should (and have the realistic freedom to) be able to act as you wish on your own land.
Original post by MJ1012
From the other kid retaliating to the bullying.
You didn't mention any retaliation

Anyway, none of this matters
Original post by InnerTemple
Seems odd that the number of burglaries is on the decline then...

But three limbs? Really?

Even Mr Woodhouse's own statement goes against him somewhat. He says that he grabbed one intruder and was struck by the other. He disarmed this man - and then (as you and others say) reasonably broke three of his limbs. Mr Woodhouse then detained the second, unarmed, intruder.

I didn't intend to suggest as such. I am very aware that there is limited logic or thought - and that the law takes this into account.

I don't understand why you don't think it's reasonable, in a 2 against 1 fight the odds are against you, just because people are unarmed doesn't mean they can't injure or kill you, if you get brought down and the two guys start kicking you then you're dead. Breaking bones takes one guy out of the fight, the second guy didn't need his arms broken because without the secondary threat he could be controlled non violently.
Reply 66
You didn't mention any retaliation

Anyway, none of this matters

Exactly, but "two wrongs don't make a right." is not a fact.
If someone punched me I guarantee you I'd feel much better if I punched them back. :dontknow:
Original post by InnerTemple
I can tell you that they are not highly paid.

Defence barristers will be used to earning less than minimum wage at times. No sick pay, no pension, no holiday pay and massive over heads. With lots and lots of long hours.

They have recently had a strike about it.

CPS lawyers are basically civil servants.

With respect, you know nothing. It would take more than a forum post to bring you up to speed.

But because TP has mentioned it, I'll give some detail.

If the client confesses to the barrister, the barrister cannot advance a positive case on behalf of the client as this would mean telling lies. All the barrister could do is test the prosecution evidence. The result would almost certainly be a conviction.

The client should be informed of this - and maybe reminded of the advantages to entering a guilty plea.

The barrister would probably retire from the case on the grounds that he is professionally embarrassed.

Indeed.

It's obvious that you're not in a position to offer an impartial point of view so I'll leave it there.
Original post by MJ1012
If someone punched me I guarantee you I'd feel much better if I punched them back. :dontknow:
That doesn't mean you should
Reply 69
Original post by Extremotroph
If someone forces themselves into your property, then you should (and have the realistic freedom to) be able to act as you wish on your own land.

LOL, I'm just going to swing my arms and if you get in my way it's your own fault.

Original post by MJ1012
LOL, I'm just going to swing my arms and if you get in my way it's your own fault.

worldstar
Reply 71
That doesn't mean you should

Why not?
Original post by Arturo Bandini
It's obvious that you're not in a position to offer an impartial point of view so I'll leave it there.

Is your definition of 'someone who is able to offer an impartial view' someone who doesn't know anything about the profession?
Original post by MJ1012
Why not?
I don't think I really need to explain why 'it made me feel better' is not an excuse for violence.
Original post by Arturo Bandini

:confused:

Why should I offer an impartial point of view? What am I supposed to do - just say "yeah, all the evidence and my own personal experience shows that these lawyers are not paid well... but you've said the opposite, so I guess they must all be raking it in."

If you assert something which is not true, expect to be called out on it. Then you either rebut the point (maybe with some evidence) or concede the point.

But to start crying and moaning that the other person is not being impartial enough? Ha! That's just silly.
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't think I really need to explain why 'it made me feel better' is not an excuse for violence.

"It made me feel better" BECAUSE I neutralised the threat.

Have you ever been in a fight?
Reply 76

It's no different than life imprisonment, it's about revenge. It's not like our current justice system is solely based on rehabilitation.
Original post by Extremotroph
"It made me feel better" BECAUSE I neutralised the threat.
That's a different thing entirely, and not what we were talking about

Original post by MJ1012
It's no different than life imprisonment, it's about revenge. It's not like our current justice system is solely based on rehabilitation.
I am not necessarily in favour of life imprisonment as a punishment, but it has benefits other than just revenge.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 78

I am not necessarily in favour of life imprisonment as a punishment, but it has benefits other than just revenge.

Such as?

Ok so you have no experience with fighting people. I respect your pacifism to an extent, that extent is when your property (of which your body is your property) is under threat.

Extreme pacifism as you are advocating however, "don't hit back under any circumstances" has no place in any self-respecting human's life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending