The Student Room Group

Who will come 4th in the Prem?

Scroll to see replies

Liverpool can't defend so they're out of the running, Spurs and Everton both have a chance, but only if Adebayor and Lukaku respectively stay fit. United even with Mata I can't see making the top 4 though, they are far too indiciplined against weaker teams and let in sloppy goals against them. Buying an attacking midfielder isn't going to change that.
Reply 21
Original post by Kutta
United will look a completely different team when, Rooney, Van Perise, Fellaini, Nani and Mata (if it happens) come back to the team.

Also how long can Liverpool rely on Suarez for? The better he plays, the more likely he will leave in the summer. But I don't think he can carry Liverpool on his back for the rest of the season, there is bound to be a drought at some point.

But they have Sturridge, they'd only dropped 3 points when Suarez wasn't playing in a match.
Reply 22
Original post by bammy jastard 27
But they have Sturridge, they'd only dropped 3 points when Suarez wasn't playing in a match.

But they were better defensively at the start of the season. 3 clean sheets in a row first 3 games of the season... 3 more all season since.
Reply 23
Original post by scriggy
But they were better defensively at the start of the season. 3 clean sheets in a row first 3 games of the season... 3 more all season since.

Can also say that's partially due to the way they played without Suarez. they played with a 3 man midfield, meaning it would be harder for other teams to break through. Also injuries.

They generally got a goal in the first half then defended in the second, they don't do that as much any more since they have 2 strikers.
Reply 24
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Arsenal are currently 8 points ahead of 4th place. I think they're safe for 3rd anyway. As are Chelsea and City at this moment. No doubt their defence has been poor, but they'll just outscore you. Their GD is ridiculous anyway.

Also, United have conceded 27 goals, Liverpool have conceded 28 and Spurs have conceded 26. City have also conceded 25 goals. Liverpool have conceded no more than their top 4 competitors, and even that of a title contender.

Everton will probably get injuries though and fall off. Same with Newcastle. Personally, Everton remind me like last season, they're getting so many draws, they just rarely ever lose. But they almost draw every other game. I think it's gonna be hard for them to sustain a run of form in that case, while with Liverpool, Spurs and United, you know they can go on runs of form.

8 points isn't a huge difference with so many teams competing for the places. Arsenal have managed to win almost every game against the smaller sides, but they could really struggle at the end of March. Spurs (away), Chelsea (away), Man City (home), Everton (away) is a horrible run of games and pressure will mount if they drop points to Spurs. While unlikely, there is a chance that Arsenal will emerge from those games with 0 points and dropping 8 points from these games is a real possibility.

This idea that Liverpool will simply outscore teams is fine, but it doesn't work every week, as Aston Villa showed. The big clubs that have conceded a similar number of goals to Liverpool all had fairly rocky starts and seem to have tightened up at the back for the most part. This is not the case for Liverpool.
Liverpool will crumble in the all important last ten games. Utd, Spurs, City and Chelsea. I hope they make top four just to see what happens with Suarez
Reply 26
I think it will be between Liverpool and Man United.

Tottenham seen reinvigorated by Sherwood but there is no suggestion their form will continue - Adebayor is proving really fruitful as of late but he has a history to drop off for large periods of time. United, meanwhile, have made an astute signing in Mata and I think the lack of any other silverware (they surely won't win the CL) may mean they triple their efforts in the league.

Liverpool, of course, have the benefit of not performing on two fronts. They can concentrate solely on the league but they desperately need a holding midfielder who can shield the back four during the months where Lucas in injured. M'Vila would be ideal. Their defence is shaky but scoring goals isn't a problem. I imagine Liverpool will probably get it and, as a Liverpool fan, I say that rather hopefully.

I personally don't see it being that black and white, though. There's no suggestion that Arsenal will finish top three. They have an incredibly tough run and, a few bad results and they could find themselves slipping away...
Original post by IanDangerously
United will get 4th. By the time we start playing the teams above us, Rooney and RVP should be back and playing together again and we've only ever lost one game (City at home in a semi dead rubber) when they've played together.

That 6 point gap between United and Liverpool will be swallowed up by April.

RVP never, ever makes an immediate comeback from injuries. He'll be stuttering and missing odd games from now till May, coming off at 70 minutes even when you need him to keep playing etc.

Seen it over and over again
I think Spurs will get it actually, Adebayor is on one and they are pretty solid all round. Also got some nice momentum
If Liverpool win 5 of the next 7 games, then they should get it. If that's 4 of the next 7, then all it means is they have to beat one of City and Chelsea at home, or United away, all three are definitely possible.
Reply 30
Original post by Mackay
I personally don't see it being that black and white, though. There's no suggestion that Arsenal will finish top three.
They have an incredibly tough run and, a few bad results and they could find themselves slipping away...

Of course there is a suggestion, which is the fact that they currently lead the table with 8 points seperating them from 4th place. There is no guarantee, that is correct. But to be honest, I find United not reaching 4th place more likely than Arsenal dropping down to it.
Reply 31
Original post by qua
Of course there is a suggestion, which is the fact that they currently lead the table with 8 points seperating them from 4th place. There is no guarantee, that is correct. But to be honest, I find United not reaching 4th place more likely than Arsenal dropping down to it.

Sorry I meant 'guarantee' - got caught up in the post and let my fingers move too fast for my brain.

I completely agree with you. I just meant that Arsenal's run-in IS exceptionally tough and, whilst they have shone thus far, have still got to play:

Southampton (A)
Liverpool (A)
Man United (H)
Stoke (A)
Tottenham (A)
Chelsea (A)
Man City (H)
Everton (A)
Hull (A)

Now, they could realistically drop points at each and every match on that list. Granted, Southampton Stoke and Hull are all (on paper) relatively comfortable wins, but stranger things have happened. If Arsenal are to drop a few points here and there, what's to say the psychology of the players will change? They could become tentative, nervous and the beginnings of a rut could surface.

But that's all guesswork. For now, they remain a title contender and I think it's unlikely that they will slip to 4th. I can see them finishing 3rd, though, with not much separating them and Chelsea. I expect City to pull away come March, in truth.
Still confident we will make it, if Mata joins we've got the two best players in the league from last season plus one of the best players in this campaign to come into the team. You put those 3 into any team in the world and it'll improve them, never mind someone playing as badly as Manchester United have been this season. The games against Liverpool and Everton are vital.
Reply 33
I think it'll come down to Liverpool and Manchester United (with us getting top four obviously :tongue:).

Spurs have done well under Sherwood's appointment but that's what happens with new managers and that short-term injection of confidence that it brings. His man-management seems to be bringing the best out of Adebayor but again, as said, he might falter eventually. Also with the EL back, Sherwood might struggle to juggle the squad with injuries, suspensions and despite him adjusting his formation to 4-5-1 for Swansea, think he'll revert back to 4-4-2 which teams will have success with.

Everton, as well as they are doing, can see tailing off but hovering near the fifth position.

Liverpool - Suarez never seems to get injured unfortunately and Strurridge is back but defensively they can be targetted but think their attacking threat might be enough for them to stay in contention this season. Could do with some January signings to add depth.

United - Signing Mata is a major boost for us, and hopefully will lift the players and install some belief in Moyes from the playing squad. Defensively, could do with stability but unsure what pairing will work.

Exciting stuff all the way from top to bottom of the PL. We're in for one heck of a ride.
Reply 34
Liverpool's definitely going to get 4th place and United would probably get 5th place
Reply 35
Original post by Mackay
Sorry I meant 'guarantee' - got caught up in the post and let my fingers move too fast for my brain.

I completely agree with you. I just meant that Arsenal's run-in IS exceptionally tough.

Now, they could realistically drop points at each and every match on that list. Granted, Southampton Stoke and Hull are all (on paper) relatively comfortable wins, but stranger things have happened. If Arsenal are to drop a few points here and there, what's to say the psychology of the players will change? They could become tentative, nervous and the beginnings of a rut could surface.

But that's all guesswork. For now, they remain a title contender and I think it's unlikely that they will slip to 4th. I can see them finishing 3rd, though, with not much separating them and Chelsea. I expect City to pull away come March, in truth.

Arsenal have been very good in several performances, they have just managed to win other games. The Cardiff match was a real struggle and, although Arsenal thoroughly deserved to win, they could just as easily have been left frustrated. It can be tempting to use a cliché and say something like "that's the mark of champions", but I do think these frustrating games will come.

The run of you games you mentioned will be exceptionally difficult, with the 4 games against Spurs, Chelsea and City and Everton carrying a realistic chance of costing Arsenal up to 12 points.

Another problem I think Arsenal have is their lack of a top striker. Their midfield is sublime, but I can't help but feel it's only a matter of time before teams learn how to shut out the goals from the midfielders. An injury to Giroud would leave Arsenal very few options up front, and I'm sure we have all seen Spain and Barcelona struggle to score when they play 4 at the back, with 2 banks of 3 midfielders ahead of them. Long term injuries to Koscielny or Mertesacker would be a major blow, too.

It seems that Wenger will not be making any moves in this transfer window and that worries me. I would love Arsenal to win the league but I, like most others, think City will win it at a canter, and while I do expect Arsenal to finish in the top 4, I do not think it is as set in stone as a lot of people seem to.
Reply 36
Original post by pane123
Arsenal have been very good in several performances, they have just managed to win other games. The Cardiff match was a real struggle and, although Arsenal thoroughly deserved to win, they could just as easily have been left frustrated. It can be tempting to use a cliché and say something like "that's the mark of champions", but I do think these frustrating games will come.

The run of you games you mentioned will be exceptionally difficult, with the 4 games against Spurs, Chelsea and City and Everton carrying a realistic chance of costing Arsenal up to 12 points.

Another problem I think Arsenal have is their lack of a top striker. Their midfield is sublime, but I can't help but feel it's only a matter of time before teams learn how to shut out the goals from the midfielders. An injury to Giroud would leave Arsenal very few options up front, and I'm sure we have all seen Spain and Barcelona struggle to score when they play 4 at the back, with 2 banks of 3 midfielders ahead of them. Long term injuries to Koscielny or Mertesacker would be a major blow, too.

It seems that Wenger will not be making any moves in this transfer window and that worries me. I would love Arsenal to win the league but I, like most others, think City will win it at a canter, and while I do expect Arsenal to finish in the top 4, I do not think it is as set in stone as a lot of people seem to.

Similarly RVP could come back and get injured again, Mata could get injured, yaya could do his cruciates...it's all conjecture at this point and Barca managed fine playing Cesc as a false no. 9, sanchez and him scored loads without messi.
Reply 37
Once Van Persie and Rooney come back. With the boost of Mata to the squad and Vidic coming back from suspension, United will gain momentum and finish top 4.

Spurs have a history of slowing down towards the end and I think once they start to lose 2-3 games they won't get back up.
Everton depth in squad could cost them but I think they will be up there fighting.
Liverpool are putting a lot of pressure on there S&S too score and I feel without them they will struggle to score so eventually the S&S will slow down scoring.
Newcastle I'm sorry but I just can't see top 4.

Between United, Everton and Liverpool.
I think we have the advantage. With most big games at home, we've been fairly solid at home bar a few slips. Points and GD advantage too.

Really though it comes down to whether or not we can fix up our defence and DM spot.
The defence will improve because Sakho is coming back fron injury so we should have a stable back 4. Flanno is coming back to, the fact I even say that is terrible..
That will leave the DM to be fixed, I'm hoping we bring one in. Fernando or M'villa and then hopefully a LB or RB.

All of that being said I think we have the advantage, Tottenham may give us some stiff competition but I think they will slip up a few times and lose/draw to the teams around them. They were pretty lucky to beat Manu tbh.
Don't think Mata will make enough of a difference at Manu, their CM/DM/Defence still needs work. If they can barely get the ball from Sunderland how are they supposed to control the ball enough for Mata to even be effective. Not to mention a lot of their play comes from the wings.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was decided on GD though.
Reply 39
Original post by So Instinct
I think we have the advantage. With most big games at home, we've been fairly solid at home bar a few slips. Points and GD advantage too.

Really though it comes down to whether or not we can fix up our defence and DM spot.
The defence will improve because Sakho is coming back fron injury so we should have a stable back 4. Flanno is coming back to, the fact I even say that is terrible..
That will leave the DM to be fixed, I'm hoping we bring one in. Fernando or M'villa and then hopefully a LB or RB.

All of that being said I think we have the advantage, Tottenham may give us some stiff competition but I think they will slip up a few times and lose/draw to the teams around them. They were pretty lucky to beat Manu tbh.
Don't think Mata will make enough of a difference at Manu, their CM/DM/Defence still needs work. If they can barely get the ball from Sunderland how are they supposed to control the ball enough for Mata to even be effective. Not to mention a lot of their play comes from the wings.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was decided on GD though.

Carrick out for a month anyway. So they're in an even worse position than you guys.

Quick Reply

Latest