The Student Room Group

The black culture

Scroll to see replies

In all honesty in my area: dropouts, thugs, dopeheads and antisocial guys.
There are a few who 'break the mould' though and are great guys.

Oh also, calling the guy in Morley's "boss". Bad attempts at free styling. Most black guys I know are really good at dancing though, most are athletic and fast runners. Fresh haircuts or nappy hair, one of the two..
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by So Instinct
In all honesty in my area: dropouts, thugs, dopeheads and antisocial guys.
There are a few who 'break the mould' though and are great guys.

Oh also, calling the guy in Morley's "boss". Bad attempts at free styling. Most black guys I know are really good at dancing though, most are athletic and fast runners. Fresh haircuts or nappy hair, one of the two..

We gotta make sure our hairlines on point :P.
Original post by Kruz
We gotta make sure our hairlines on point :P.

Yeah most the time :lol:

Bossman in the barbers usually does a decent job. Gotta rate the guys with an Afro or a high top though, they got that swagger. :rofl:

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
No I do not and I do not intend to, there's no such thing anyway.
Yeah most the time :lol:

Bossman in the barbers usually does a decent job. Gotta rate the guys with an Afro or a high top though, they got that swagger. :rofl:

I've got a high top fade kind of like Danny Welbeck but a bit shorter. But we take this haircut thing seriously can't be dealing with rubbish barbers :wink:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kruz
I've got a high top fade kind of like Danny Welbeck but a bit shorter. But we take this haircut thing seriously can't be dealing with rubbish barbers :wink:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's decent.

Yeah but, do you cream your elbows?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
Jerk chicken, KA Fruit Punch and dry skin.
(edited 10 years ago)
Black British is a stupid term we are either British or not. As it is a non-racial identity.

Anyway the so-called "black British" culture depends on where your grandparents or parents hauled from in the diaspora. However, one thing we share is music (that best and percussion) genres like grime and garage and so on.

Along, with our informal speech we use aka slang. Now it has been adopted mainstream in the dominant society among your people, especially in urban areas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by Winading001
What would you describe as being associated with Black British culture?
Please share your honest opinion. All answers will be respected.(But still debated :biggrin:)
Before you post, please consider these questions:

Do you generally associate the Black British culture, in this country, with rap, hip hop and sport?
Do you think your opinion is influenced by the media(e.g BBC News)
Depending on where you live, are the Black British people you know perfect examples of the stereotypes the media represent?

1) I don't really think there is a 'Black British' culture. It's just a mixture of African culture and Caribbean culture. But no, I generally associate 'black culture' with all sorts of different things, notably specific types of food (rice and peas, jollof rice, ackee and saltfish etc.)

2) Not really. I'm black my opinion comes from first hand experience. Although I wouldn't be surprised if people from other races were influenced by the media.

3) Some are some aren't. The ones I know personally aren't. Some of the black british people I see but don't know are.
Reply 49
Firstly, Im black

And admittedly when I think of black british teens I firstly think of the stereotypical things. Slang, weed, overconfidence and loudness. But this is all stuff that just gets played up on social media

But honestly if you scratch the surface theres a lot more to us

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by Mutual_Euphoria
Outspoken, money fast, academics purely for pursuing high earning careers, strong focus on designer labels, superficial, mall culture, emphasis on physical fitness, beats rather than guitars, tribalism above common decency, heavy use of empty rhetoric....

So why do Europeans go down the academic route?
Pursuing high earning careers is a bad thing?
Since when!
Tribalism?
The West exists as an 'Individualistic' society,African/Asian/Caribbean society tends to be more 'Collective',of course not set in stone so much any more,but spiritually?
"Yes" this was how it was originally,things change,corporate capitalistic vibes from aforementioned Individualistic society kicks in
Possibly the 'tribalism' that you sense-see is in fact those while living within European context,genetically and magnetically not forgetting their blue print!
Nothing wrong at all with that,if anything,perfectly perfect:-)

Designer obsessed?
Many bods are.
Mall culture?
Nope..
Guitar is cool as are beats.
Keeping fit is perfect,you state this as if a bad thing:-)
I could say your words are patronizing and lacking any sense of true social or personal awareness but "hey",you already know that right:-)
(edited 10 years ago)
I like black people :biggrin: Not every black person i know fit the stereotype. Actually tbh more mixed race half black half white fit it more :/ black guys are pretty funny. American black guys are hotter than British black guys. T.i trey songz bow wow Chris brown over giggs wiley chipmunk anyday. I like grime which black British culture is associated with.
That's decent.

Yeah but, do you cream your elbows?

Loool I use Cocoa Butter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by datpiff
Lol white people talking about this thing they call 'black culture' when they probably don't even talk to many black people.

If you call it 'black culture' you're already failing.

Also I don't want to hear anyone call Dancehall 'reggae'. Dancehall is not reggae.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a Nigerian who was born in the UK. I firmly believe as well there's no such thing as black culture but I know some people who do believe in the existence of Black British culture. That's why I started this thread
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Algorithm69
I live in Manchester...

I've never been, are there no black people there?

I'm a Nigerian who was born in the UK. I firmly believe as well there's no such thing as black culture but I know some people who do believe in the existence of Black British culture. That's why I started this thread

Culture means different things to different people though, so what exactly do you mean when you say that it doesn't exist (as in, what do you think culture is)?
Original post by Aku-gila

Culture means different things to different people though, so what exactly do you mean when you say that it doesn't exist (as in, what do you think culture is)?

There is french culture, chinese culture, brazilian culture etc. which unifies the nation and which traditions are upheld and recognised by everyone of their respective identity. Those who identify as "black british" do not have a distinctive unified identity. The only thing they all share in common is their skin colour.
Reply 56
Original post by frogs r everywhere
There is french culture, chinese culture, brazilian culture etc. which unifies the nation and which traditions are upheld and recognised by everyone of their respective identity. Those who identify as "black british" do not have a distinctive unified identity. The only thing they all share in common is their skin colour.

That makes sense +1

Although for some it's just a blanket term used to cover the various different subtypes of Afro-Caribbean cultures present in Britain.
Reply 57
Original post by Aku-gila
That makes sense +1

Although for some it's just a blanket term used to cover the various different subtypes of Afro-Caribbean cultures present in Britain.

Random question - The Boondocks, was there ever an episode based on Benjamin button?
Reply 58
What would you describe as being associated with Black British culture?
Please share your honest opinion. All answers will be respected.(But still debated :biggrin:)
Before you post, please consider these questions:

Do you generally associate the Black British culture, in this country, with rap, hip hop and sport?
Do you think your opinion is influenced by the media(e.g BBC News)
Depending on where you live, are the Black British people you know perfect examples of the stereotypes the media represent?

1) Nope.
2) No because the media is full of inflated stereotypes that don't acknowledge variety, at least when it comes to race.
3) No. I don't understand why you feel the need to have arbitrary rules for races. When you look at white people you don't feel the need to pin them into a stereotype so why should you do so with black people? The only thing Black British people have in common is the colour of their skin and nationality.
(edited 10 years ago)
I know it isn't a black culture, but I see black youth with saggy trousers, so that is definitely one thing that comes to mind, talking loudly on the phone whiles on the bus, or even rapping into the phone recording new lyrics that are sometimes good, other times ****.

Being very reactionary especially to racism, I think Asians are less reactionary or scared when confronted with racism.

It is different, the older generation are more opinionated and nice, the young ones struggle with articulation and can some times be anti-social.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending