The Student Room Group

Damaged lobes (ear), how can I sort it?

For the past couple of months I have been taping my ears to expand my lobes and my right ear is really elastic, and is already at 4/6mm (That's the maximum I plan on going to!). However, my left ear is significantly less elastic and will not expand. The back of my lobe has quite a large hole and the tissue inside appears to be damaged.

Will it repair itself or do I need to take action for it to heal? :frown:
Reply 1
Do you need some more tape for the other ear? :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Original post by aranexus
Do you need some more tape for the other ear? :rolleyes:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tapers
Reply 3

I know what it is, but can't think of one good reason why any person would want to do it... except to decrease their chances of employment because they hate work, or because they hate conformity and want to be stand out.
Reply 4
You're probably stretching too quickly and now have blow outs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I know what it is, but can't think of one good reason why any person would want to do it... except to decrease their chances of employment because they hate work, or because they hate conformity and want to be stand out.

Neither because if you google 4-6mm it's barely anything. I have a job, previously had two so I don't think I hate work? :redface:

Original post by Juno
You're probably stretching too quickly and now have blow outs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haven't gone further than 2.5mm on my left. That's nothing and I waited around a week before doing it fully. Maybe I'll just have to have one ear. It's just all weird inside like damaged tissue
Original post by und3niable_

Haven't gone further than 2.5mm on my left. That's nothing and I waited around a week before doing it fully. Maybe I'll just have to have one ear. It's just all weird inside like damaged tissue

You should really be waiting at least a month between each stretch, that will give the skin time to heal, hence lessening your chance of blowouts/scarring significantly. If you do already have some scarring, the best course of action is to downsize and use oil massages to help heal the skin, I found Bio-Oil to be great for this myself but other products are available. Otherwise standard advice holds, listen to your body, use high quality jewellery, etc, etc.

Okay. Serious question. Why are you here? Any time anyone mentions piercing or tattooing on this forum there's always some idiot who comes along to tell everyone that if you have a piercing/tattoo you'll never get a job, or that they are disqusting or whatever. It's simple, if you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything.
Reply 7
For the past couple of months I have been taping my ears to expand my lobes and my right ear is really elastic, and is already at 4/6mm (That's the maximum I plan on going to!). However, my left ear is significantly less elastic and will not expand. The back of my lobe has quite a large hole and the tissue inside appears to be damaged.

Will it repair itself or do I need to take action for it to heal? :frown:

"Re: Damaged lobes (ear), how can I sort it?"

STOP STRETCHING YOUR EARS!?? :s-smilie:
Ie suggest you go to a proffesional piercer and ask their advice.
Reply 9
Neither because if you google 4-6mm it's barely anything. I have a job, previously had two so I don't think I hate work? :redface:

That's still far too quickly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by mojojojo101
You should really be waiting at least a month between each stretch, that will give the skin time to heal, hence lessening your chance of blowouts/scarring significantly. If you do already have some scarring, the best course of action is to downsize and use oil massages to help heal the skin, I found Bio-Oil to be great for this myself but other products are available. Otherwise standard advice holds, listen to your body, use high quality jewellery, etc, etc.

Thanks for your help, I left a month for my right ear to go to 4mm and it's absolutely fine. I have nothing in the left at the moment because it just simply hurts too much, even to touch. I was considering even a normal stud but that still would even hurt. I'll just sterilise it and leave it to heal.

Original post by Juno
That's still far too quickly!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I gathered, although my right ear has gone up two sizes in a month and a half. I was very cautious too, because I've wanted to do it for ages but never had the guts or confidence

Original post by Luke070
"Re: Damaged lobes (ear), how can I sort it?"

STOP STRETCHING YOUR EARS!?? :s-smilie:

Um, no? I've wanted to do it slightly for years but never had the confidence to so I wouldn't really ask for non-constructive advice. As said to previous poster, if you look at the maximum I'm going it's just the size of a large stud. If I choose not to have it later, my ear will quickly go back to 'Normal'.
Reply 11
Thanks for your help, I left a month for my right ear to go to 4mm and it's absolutely fine. I have nothing in the left at the moment because it just simply hurts too much, even to touch. I was considering even a normal stud but that still would even hurt. I'll just sterilise it and leave it to heal.

I gathered, although my right ear has gone up two sizes in a month and a half. I was very cautious too, because I've wanted to do it for ages but never had the guts or confidence

Just because your right ear has allowed you to stretch that quickly doesn't mean it's fine. That's probably screwed up too, just mildly less so.

Take all jewellery out and allow both to go naked. Then in several months - around 6, but probably longer - start again. If your holes heal up that's fine as you can get initially pierced at 6g or so. But when you do start to stretch again you need at least 4 weeks between stretches, ideally longer, and longer the larger you go.
Reply 12
Original post by Juno
Just because your right ear has allowed you to stretch that quickly doesn't mean it's fine. That's probably screwed up too, just mildly less so.

Take all jewellery out and allow both to go naked. Then in several months - around 6, but probably longer - start again. If your holes heal up that's fine as you can get initially pierced at 6g or so. But when you do start to stretch again you need at least 4 weeks between stretches, ideally longer, and longer the larger you go.

Yeah the left is completely naked. But I was wondering that my right ear is just possibly not as messed up because 2mm wouldn't fit (It was too small, would just slide through). Have never stretched before so thought it was rather odd. I guess I'll just wait until summer anyway. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 13
Yeah the left is completely naked. But I was wondering that my right ear is just possibly not as messed up because 2mm wouldn't fit (It was too small, would just slide through). Have never stretched before so thought it was rather odd. I guess I'll just wait until summer anyway. Thanks! :smile:

People often find they have one ear that's less stretchy, but having such a big problem so soon suggests you REALLY screwed up - and therefore id say even if the right seems happy it probably isn't. Often, problems at large sizes are caused by bad stretching earlier on. You don't want to get to near the end and have to start again because of what you did now, so because you clearly need to redo one id suggest doing them both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest