The Student Room Group

Which uni for environmental sciences?

Hi, just looking for advice on which unis to apply for this autumn, I'm a bit stuck! Also if anyone else is interested in the same sort of thing it'd be nice to talk to someone :smile:
I'm looking to do environmental sciences which I'd like to lead to something in environmental conservation or maybe research. I don't really mind the location though I would prefer a city if given the choice.
My results for AS were A in Bio, Phys, French and Philosophy and I'm dropping Philosophy this year.
I'd be so grateful if anyone has any advice!
Reply 1
Hi, I currently do Environmental science at Leeds university and would highly recommend it. The course itself offers a wide range of topics in the first year including sustainability, ecology, environmental politics and policy amongst other things. As you move into 2nd and 3rd year you get to choose pathways which means you could choose modules that would be benifical to a career in conservation. The department of earth and environment is also very big and offers lots of extra events outside lectures. Also, fieldtrips are free which is good. The university itself is just amazing, the students union is really good and has lots of events going on. Leeds is such a big city that there is so much to do, its very much appeals to students. I suggest that you look on the website just type in Leeds uni in google then type in the course and you can see all the modules and offer relevant information. Or you could visit the university on one of the open days, the next one is 14th September.

But you should also check out other universitys that do environmental science such as Sheffield and York. Hope you have found this helpful, I can answer any questions you have :smile:
Reply 2
Hi, I currently do Environmental science at Leeds university and would highly recommend it. The course itself offers a wide range of topics in the first year including sustainability, ecology, environmental politics and policy amongst other things. As you move into 2nd and 3rd year you get to choose pathways which means you could choose modules that would be benifical to a career in conservation. The department of earth and environment is also very big and offers lots of extra events outside lectures. Also, fieldtrips are free which is good. The university itself is just amazing, the students union is really good and has lots of events going on. Leeds is such a big city that there is so much to do, its very much appeals to students. I suggest that you look on the website just type in Leeds uni in google then type in the course and you can see all the modules and offer relevant information. Or you could visit the university on one of the open days, the next one is 14th September.

But you should also check out other universitys that do environmental science such as Sheffield and York. Hope you have found this helpful, I can answer any questions you have :smile:
Thing to check is whether a specific course allows sufficient focus in your interest area. Some are quite restricted on the conservation themes, some are restricted on resource issues etc. My wife is entering the 2nd year of Environmental Science at Newcastle. Has plenty of breadth although she is going down a conservation route.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by QueenBeans
Hi, I realise this post is from last year but I'd be grateful if you could help me :smile: I'm really interested in doing environmental science and I've applied to Sheffield and Leeds. I've read through the module details for each and I feel I'd enjoy the Leeds course more however it isn't accredited unlike the Sheffield course which is, do you know why this is and if it would put me at a disadvantage career wise? I've already studied for a year on another course at Sheffield and love the city. It is beautiful, green and there's a real sense of community, plus I felt safe there. How does Leeds compare? Thanks! :smile:

They haven't logged in for 4 months so I doubt you'll get a reply.

Maybe send them a PM so they get a notification email?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending