The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Accounting and Finance or Law?

What would be better to do? I've got offers for both choices but I don't really know which one to go for :/

Scroll to see replies

I'm a law student and know someone doing an Accounting and Finance degree. I'm guessing what you mean by "which one to go for" is which one has better job prospects. I won't give you a typical TSR answer like "go with what you enjoy" because the reason you're posting is because you have narrowed it down to these two degrees that interest you.

Accounting and Finance is in my experience a relatively easier degree. Now take that with extreme caution. It is easier when compared to law. You might get 65% in your first piece of work in accounting but that's unlikely to be the case in law. Then again it does come down to what you are good at. One person maybe good at writing and essays which is why they would find law easier and another may find numbers and maths easier. It's all subjective.

I would (here goes the typical tar answer) go with what you will enjoy and likely do better in. An Accounting and Finance degree with a 1st class will be more likely to land you a job even in law, than a law degree with a 2.1. and vice versa. Doing well is the key part.

Employment wise from what I know the accounting sector may be slightly less saturated but I doubt it's a big difference. Both are likely to be equally as employable (well as employable as you can be in the current economic climate).

Other than that it depends on which Universities you have the offers from. A better University will obviously look better on your CV but it unlikely to make a massive difference though it can help. Also most graduate schemes at top firms in the accounting, finance and legal sectors require somewhere around ABB at A-level as a minimum.

Which Universities do you have offers from?

Hope this helped :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Reply 2
Thanks you helped a lot I've got offers from Leeds, Bradford and Huddersfield
Original post by xsabahx
Thanks you helped a lot I've got offers from Leeds, Bradford and Huddersfield

Leeds is most definitely the best of the three. Which is the offer for, Law or A&F?
Reply 4
law
Original post by xsabahx
law

If you have a genuine interest in law (which is necessary since it can be quite dull sometimes) then I would go for Law at Leeds. Leeds is a much better University than Bradford and Huddersfield.

If you have any questions about law then be sure to ask.

btw when replying back quote me or I won't know :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by adamsmithqm
If you have a genuine interest in law (which is necessary since it can be quite dull sometimes) then I would go for Law at Leeds. Leeds is a much better University than Bradford and Huddersfield.

If you have any questions about law then be sure to ask.

btw when replying back quote me or I won't know :smile:

well I'm kind of stuck between Bradford Uni or Leeds Uni I don't really know which to go to. :/ Is law boring?
Original post by xsabahx
well I'm kind of stuck between Bradford Uni or Leeds Uni I don't really know which to go to. :/ Is law boring?

I don't really know much about either University but I do know that Leeds has a much better reputation. That may or may not matter to you. Personally I would always go for the better ranked University but the majority of TSR will tell you some hippie BS like "go with what you enjoy". My enjoyment isn't going to get me a job. It depends how much important reputation is to you. Besides it not like going to Leeds over Bradford is going to make a MASSIVE difference.

Is law boring?
hmmm. It can be at times but no more than Accounting and Finance. If you were choosing between law and Politics for example I could say that Politics is more interesting but between Law and A&F it's much harder to say.

Would I change my course if I could?
Nope, law is actually pretty interesting. You are going to have some modules you enjoy far more than others. Criminal is far more interesting than Contract for example. Good thing is you only take a module for a year. In second and third year you can choose the modules that you enjoy. At some Universities you can even take a Politics module for example.

To sum up, Yes law can be dull at times due to the endless amounts of reading but it can also be very interesting and thankfully most of the time it is. If you have a genuine interest in law go with that and if you enjoy Accounting and Finance go with that.

So far I'm really enjoying my law degree and wouldn't change it.

Also I see that you are from Bradford which could play a big part in deciding which University to choose. If living at home is something that you want to do then obviously Bradford may be the better choice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
I don't really know much about either University but I do know that Leeds has a much better reputation. That may or may not matter to you. Personally I would always go for the better ranked University but the majority of TSR will tell you some hippie BS like "go with what you enjoy". My enjoyment isn't going to get me a job. It depends how much important reputation is to you. Besides it not like going to Leeds over Bradford is going to make a MASSIVE difference.

Is law boring?
hmmm. It can be at times but no more than Accounting and Finance. If you were choosing between law and Politics for example I could say that Politics is more interesting but between Law and A&F it's much harder to say.

Would I change my course if I could?
Nope, law is actually pretty interesting. You are going to have some modules you enjoy far more than others. Criminal is far more interesting than Contract for example. Good thing is you only take a module for a year. In second and third year you can choose the modules that you enjoy. At some Universities you can even take a Politics module for example.

To sum up, Yes law can be dull at times due to the endless amounts of reading but it can also be very interesting and thankfully most of the time it is. If you have a genuine interest in law go with that and if you enjoy Accounting and Finance go with that.

So far I'm really enjoying my law degree and wouldn't change it.

Also I see that you are from Bradford which could play a big part in deciding which University to choose. If living at home is something that you want to do then obviously Bradford may be the better choice.

What uni do you go to?
This is so confusing I find both law and Accounting interesting and if I go for Law then I don't want to feel as if I've made the wrong decision by not going for Accounting and Finance. :confused:
Thanks anyway :smile:
Original post by xsabahx
What uni do you go to?
This is so confusing I find both law and Accounting interesting and if I go for Law then I don't want to feel as if I've made the wrong decision by not going for Accounting and Finance. :confused:
Thanks anyway :smile:

If it's of any help, I was in a very similar position to yourself and could not choose between law and economics. Economics was always a subject that interested me and I was good at and law was something I had never done before. I won't go into the reasons of why I ended up choosing law but for me it mainly revolved around the career path I wanted to go down. I still have moments when the work is piling up when I think I should have done economics as I find it far more interesting. I'm still not 100% sure I made the correct decision but for the most part I'm happy with going with law and I wouldn't change it.

I know it can be extremely hard to decide but I guess you just have the weigh it up. Why do you want to do law or A&F? What career path do you want to go down? (btw you can still go into law with an accounting degree, it takes a year extra though).

Do you enjoy one more than the other?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
I go to Queen Mary.

If it's of any help, I was in a very similar position to yourself and could not choose between law and economics. Economics was always a subject that interested me and I was good at and law was something I had never done before. I won't go into the reasons of why I ended up choosing law but for me it mainly revolved around the career path I wanted to go down. I still have moments when the work is piling up when I think I should have done economics as I find it far more interesting. I'm still not 100% sure I made the correct decision but for the most part I'm happy with going with law and I wouldn't change it.

I know it can be extremely hard to decide but I guess you just have the weigh it up. Why do you want to do law or A&F? What career path do you want to go down? (btw you can still go into law with an accounting degree, it takes a year extra though).

After thinking about it for so long I've decided to just go for my first choice which was A&F. Thanks so much though you have seriously helped a lot :smile: I'm just hoping that I don't change my mind again :|
Original post by xsabahx
After thinking about it for so long I've decided to just go for my first choice which was A&F. Thanks so much though you have seriously helped a lot :smile: I'm just hoping that I don't change my mind again :|

Glad I could help :smile:
Original post by xsabahx
What would be better to do? I've got offers for both choices but I don't really know which one to go for :/

Accounting and finance there are loads of jobs out there.Once you graduate you can do the cima or acca qualifaction which are recongised all around the world. Job roles from a management acountant to chartered accountant. Downside is you need 3 years expeirence.

Law is good as well but nobody will take you on of you havent got at least at 2:1. Also you have to do a 2 year contract, but if you carry on to masters or do the bar exam you will have better career routes.
Reply 13
Glad I could help :smile:

:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by abbasahmed786
Accounting and finance there are loads of jobs out there.Once you graduate you can do the cima or acca qualifaction which are recongised all around the world. Job roles from a management acountant to chartered accountant. Downside is you need 3 years expeirence.

Law is good as well but nobody will take you on of you havent got at least at 2:1. Also you have to do a 2 year contract, but if you carry on to masters or do the bar exam you will have better career routes.

Thanks

Going for Accounting and Finance :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by xsabahx
Thanks

Going for Accounting and Finance :smile:

Only just stumbled across this thread but just out of interest, what subjects did you take at A level to do accounting and finance?
Original post by xsabahx

Hi, please PM me with your name and email address. With this information I'll email you over some in-depth information about both courses; how they are taught, assessed, structure of course alongside the core and optional modules as well as career prospects. Hopefully once you have this information you can make a more informed decision on which course you would be more suited to. Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by xsabahx

Hello! I've only found this post now, and I would like to ask how you did your personal statement during UCAS applications to cover both courses AND get offers from both courses?
I'm at the exact same spot now, law or Account and finance, and because I cannot write 2 personal statements, everyone is telling me to only apply for one..... But I REALLY want to apply for both and see the offers I'm given,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE reply if you see this.... Its pretty urgent, thanks!
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible

Do law firms accept accounting and finance graduates?
Is there anyway you can send me this information

Quick Reply

Latest