The Student Room Group

Businessman on trial for assaulting two thieves on his property...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by betaglucowhat
Then you're a psychopath.

Liberal logic, not even once.

Want to defend yourself = Psychopath.
Burgle = Need help and defenceless.

People like you will never learn until it happens to yourself.
Original post by MJ1012
I value my property substantially more than a criminals life.
There maybe just as much violent crime as burglaries, but if burglaries were less violent, the there would be more burglaries than violent crime IMHO.

If you kill someone without a defence you will inevitably lose that when you have to declare bankrupt after getting sent down. If you let them nick it the insurers will replace it in a few weeks.

Use some logic, defending your family, fair play irreplaceable, property, insured and not worth getting 25 years, lifelong unemployability and sued for insolvency for.
Reply 102
Original post by Le Nombre
If you kill someone without a defence you will inevitably lose that when you have to declare bankrupt after getting sent down. If you let them nick it the insurers will replace it in a few weeks.

Use some logic, defending your family, fair play irreplaceable, property, insured and not worth getting 25 years, lifelong unemployability and sued for insolvency for.

My opinion was based on an emotional standpoint, not necessarily reality.

I still value my property more than a criminal who entered my property with intend to cause me physical/financial harm.
Whether or not the reality of the repercussions mean I will act in the way that I feel is a different matter.
(edited 10 years ago)
OK, let's take this to extremes. I'm these guys, this is my business and private property. I decide I don't like people on that property over the tannoy, now everyone in there's trespassing and also in there with the intention of taking stuff, suddenly without my consent, I decide to shoot the place up. Fair game as they were on my premises without my consent with the intention of stealing my stuff?

One of the 2 men that where stealing from his business had a weapon with them, which the business owner took from him and used it to defend himself. he had a legitimate reason, if didn't do what he'd done then it could have been him that had 2 broken legs and an arm.

Your example has nothing to do with the the owners having to defend themselves.
Reply 104
while I think he did the right thing, I think it is perfectly fair that this got taken to court. I mean he did break both of a guys legs and his arm, it would be negligent of them to just dismiss the case.
Original post by goldenfish
One of the 2 men that where stealing from his business had a weapon with them, which the business owner took from him and used it to defend himself. he had a legitimate reason, if didn't do what he'd done then it could have been him that had 2 broken legs and an arm.

Your example has nothing to do with the the owners having to defend themselves.

The thread isn't about self defence, which you have a right to on or off your own property, it's about defending the property itself, to which my example is pertinent.
Original post by MJ1012
My opinion was based on an emotional standpoint, not necessarily reality.

I still value my property more than a criminal who entered my property with intend to cause me physical/financial harm.
Whether or not the reality of the repercussions mean I will act in the way that I feel is a different matter.

But surely there is some scale to this? Your reaction could be seen to be justified for cars or jewellery, but would you really take someone's life for robbing your hosepipe?
Reply 107
But surely there is some scale to this? Your reaction could be seen to be justified for cars or jewellery, but would you really take someone's life for robbing your hosepipe?

I never said I would take someones life, I said I don't care about their life and seeing as my only interaction with them is them being bad to me, I don't see why I would.
Original post by MJ1012
I never said I would take someones life, I said I don't care about their life and seeing as my only interaction with them is them being bad to me, I don't see why I would.

Doesn't mean you have to be ambivalent to their death! Tje other side are often only bad to me and our client, doesn't mean I would be unconcerned if they died! Being a dick doesn't mean you deserve death, that'd put most people in danger at one point or another.
Reply 109
Doesn't mean you have to be ambivalent to their death! Tje other side are often only bad to me and our client, doesn't mean I would be unconcerned if they died! Being a dick doesn't mean you deserve death, that'd put most people in danger at one point or another.

But the fact is I don't care about them, that's just how I feel. Their life only made my life worse , therefore I don't care if they are no longer on the planet.
Original post by Joeman560
Where do they find the prosecutors for things like this?

These sorts of prosecutions were and are getting out of hand in the U.S.. I'm glad to say A return to common sense seems to have emerged in the last few years though.
Reply 111
Indo think the law in these areas is slightly strange. But then again, you could draw an enemy into your house somehow and kill them, then claim it was just self deference and reasonable force. So, I do think it is necessary to keep an open mind in these cases.
Original post by uktotalgamer
Liberal logic, not even once.

Want to defend yourself = Psychopath.
Burgle = Need help and defenceless.

People like you will never learn until it happens to yourself.

I've had my property stolen before, it didn't change my opinion on the morality of murdering thieves. He said he would readily kill someone to protect his iPod, not himself. There's a very important difference between yourself and your property.
I've had my property stolen before, it didn't change my opinion on the morality of murdering thieves. He said he would readily kill someone to protect his iPod, not himself. There's a very important difference between yourself and your property.

It's my property... I've bought it with my hard earned money. I'll do whatever it takes to stop some scumbag taking it..
It's my property... I've bought it with my hard earned money. I'll do whatever it takes to stop some scumbag taking it..

Thankfully it's not within the power of nutters like you to write laws, so you would rightly go to prison if you actually did it.
Thankfully it's not within the power of nutters like you to write laws, so you would rightly go to prison if you actually did it.

You'll never learn.

Quite fitting that beta is in your username
Congrats common sense about time you started coming back, they deserved what they got to be honest, I heard about it on BBC WM last Friday and also today, I just looked at the pic of the dude with broken legs and ****ed myself with laughter, the doctors must have been taking the **** with the colours they used, oh god I can't stop lol at that pic,

I take my hat off to the business owner for doing what he did and would give him a hand shake. He did the right thing and the robbers got what they deserved. I think that all the callers to BBC WM today in regards to the phone call from the business man all congratulated him and said that it was a shame that he didn't break the necks instead. This should be the start of things to come robbers who get caught by people getting hosptialised if not put 6 feet under, justice at last

I think that the farmer who shot and the robber who were in his house should have been let off to back when it happened a few years ago.

Can't believe that the one in hospital is saying that he has been let down by the justice system and that he is the victim lol pathetic
Reply 118
I support both the CPS in bringing the prosecution, and the jury in finding him not guilty.

There was clear grounds to prosecute here: extensive and exceptional injuries and an admission by the accused that passion had got the better of him, resulting in a disproportionate outcome. However, equally, the jury clearly sympathised with a man in that position, and were willing to see this disproportionate force as reasonable in the circumstances.

All done and dusted, and the great cogs of British justice continue to turn.
Original post by goldenfish
When someone breaks into your business you should not have to be afraid of either retaliating and risk getting arrested, or not retaliating and risk having the life beat out of you.

Just shows what the 'justice' system really is in this country.

Oh here we go.

Look you have the right the defend yourself and your family and yes you can kill - providing your are responding with reasonable force that is in a degree of measure tot he severity of the incident.

Original post by Jonny360
What the hell is wrong with this country...

a lot. But in this instance he was accquited

On the other hand £75 quid for burglary is a farce.

Original post by L i b
I support both the CPS in bringing the prosecution, and the jury in finding him not guilty.

There was clear grounds to prosecute here: extensive and exceptional injuries and an admission by the accused that passion had got the better of him, resulting in a disproportionate outcome. However, equally, the jury clearly sympathised with a man in that position, and were willing to see this disproportionate force as reasonable in the circumstances.

All done and dusted, and the great cogs of British justice continue to turn.

I agree. I utterly understand why this guy did what he did BUT i also understand that those kind of injuries cannot just be ignored, the police have to act.

You cant just let something like this go or it opens a flood gate for worse treatment.

Then you're a psychopath.

Not at all - i agree to a degree that i value my property over some lowlifes wellbeing and life - which to you means im a psychopath. I also have three kids and a gf who i love very much so i cant be a psychopath.

And i would defend my property - i have items that mean a great deal to me and i will not not just let some burglar walk away with them - if that means he gets a bit banged up in the process - oh well.

If said burglar threatens my kids - im going in for the kill. None of this reasonable force crap im grabbing a knife and sticking him with it as i am not willing to risk my children ending up the same way. Granted that is an extreme circumstance as burglars are not interested in confrontation - most break ins if disturbed will leave as quickly as possible.

Agreed - to stop someone taking it. But - when you have disabled your attacker and recovered your ipod the situation is then resolved (mostly) You do not then have the right to say beat the guy to a bloody pulp chop him up and feed him to a pack of stray dogs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending