The Student Room Group

I can't sleep!

Scroll to see replies

I've got this too, been getting an average of 6 hours sleep each night for the past week - which might not actually sound that bad to some. I get woken up by the most quiet noises, my heart then starts racing, my chest gets sort of pained, then I lie there for a while thinking about having to get up in a couple of hours anyway. It's a stress thing that started with my AS's - I had one day last summer with 5.5 hours of exams in it and I thought I was going to have a heart attack the night before when I managed about 2 hours of sleep after contending with a racing heart/breathing problems throughout the rest of the night.

I've been trying to cut back on my revision - for stress reasons - and keep a more regular sleeping schedule. All to no avail at the moment.

I think it's this thought that if I muck up this summer it will effectively be the end of the hopes I had for myself going to a great university. If I could accept the fact that this really is not the case, I'd do a lot better.
Are you tired when you go to bed?

i have the same problem, mainly due to my mind racing with every thought cause of my anxiety... But I get to sleep much faster if I really tire myself out during the day?
Reply 22
Original post by majmuh24
Try checking out my thread about listening to music before you go to sleep, I've found listening to relaxing stuff much more beneficial than silence and always find myself falling asleep before the end of my bedtime mix (when otherwise, it took me a couple of hours to get to sleep which was really frustrating). Try checking out some of the songs on there and you'll br feeling a lot more relaxed and chilled out, ready to sleep :biggrin:

I've tried with all kinds of music genres they never work.
Reply 23
Original post by majmuh24
Really? That's a surprise, as it was pretty much the only thing that worked for me :s-smilie: What about some ambient stuff like this (I'm normally fast asleep way before it's finished :tongue:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8eQR5DMous

My dad gave me a CD with stuff like that on that doesn't work either.
What time are you getting up in the mornings?
Reply 25
Original post by Watch Key Phone
What time are you getting up in the mornings?

at 7
Reply 26
I'm an insomniac and have (at last) got medication for when I can't sleep which I can take yet doctors are so reluctant to give this out and it took me 16 years to get any help for my sleep problems so I really feel for you!

Youtube 'progressive muscle relaxation' (believe me - try it a few times) when you want to sleep. I usually lay in bed, eyes shut for 10 minutes, listen to it when I've started to drift off a little and I'm off to sleep usually 10 mins afterwards. Some nights I will need to listen to it twice if it's a 'bad' night but it now doesn't take me hours and hours to get to sleep, usually 1 hour tops! I now hardly ever take my medication anymore cos I just don't need it. :smile: Hope everything gets better soon!

Quick Reply

Latest