The Student Room Group

Who will come 4th in the Prem?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Pete_91
Similarly RVP could come back and get injured again, Mata could get injured, yaya could do his cruciates...it's all conjecture at this point and Barca managed fine playing Cesc as a false no. 9, sanchez and him scored loads without messi.

It's quite hard to predict what will happen in 4 months' time without conjecture. Strange post.
Reply 41
Original post by pane123
It's quite hard to predict what will happen in 4 months' time without conjecture. Strange post.

Using current form is logical, predicting injuries is not.
Reply 42
Original post by Pete_91
Using current form is logical, predicting injuries is not.

I certainly didn't predict any injuries. My post added to the debate, yours did nothing.
Reply 43
Man City
Chelsea
Arsenal
Man Utd
Liverpool
Tottenham
Everton
Reply 44
Original post by pane123
I certainly didn't predict any injuries. My post added to the debate, yours did nothing.

you hypothesised about injuries throughout your post...

I did intend to add my predictions but forgot for some reason, whoops.

I think it's between United, Liverpool and Spurs with Liverpool edging it just. City to win and one of us and Chelsea in 2/3.
Reply 45
Original post by Pete_91
you hypothesised about injuries throughout your post...

I did intend to add my predictions but forgot for some reason, whoops.

I think it's between United, Liverpool and Spurs with Liverpool edging it just. City to win and one of us and Chelsea in 2/3.

I think the winner depends on whether City get 3 points against Chelsea.

I think they will probably get a draw or loss away, but I can see Chelsea getting a result vs City. That may be the difference. Gonna be hard to match their current run though, they're a steam train.

Really wanna see pool in the top 4. Originally wanted it to be at your expense, but looks like united will have to do.
Reply 46
Original post by bammy jastard 27
I think the winner depends on whether City get 3 points against Chelsea.

I think they will probably get a draw or loss away, but I can see Chelsea getting a result vs City. That may be the difference. Gonna be hard to match their current run though, they're a steam train.

Really wanna see pool in the top 4. Originally wanted it to be at your expense, but looks like united will have to do.

I think if City win against you they'll win the title, if you win you will win it. A draw and we can win it but still won't be favourites.
Reply 47
United are hopeless, if they don't get a CM or two they won't even be close.

If we don't get it, I think Everton are a decent shout personally.
Reply 48
Original post by Pete_91
I think if City win against you they'll win the title, if you win you will win it. A draw and we can win it but still won't be favourites.

Definitely. I agree with that.

Under no circumstances can we lose to City. Like with us we're a very nervy team when we win. City just seem like they can win without effort. Arsenal to a lesser extent now, but you expect them to win when they play another team. You've been beasts away from home as well compared to Chelsea and City.

Chelsea seem to just adapt to every situation and find a way to win, gotta say in terms of who plays the best football, it would be City, then Arsenal, then Spurs(under Sherwood) then Everton, then Chelsea. I don't think we play any better than Everton regardless of who we have. What we can do however is adapt to situations, you don't have to adapt if you're City(for obvious reasons) as they're better than almost everyone, probably nearly as good as Madrid. Arsenal play very good football and can grind out results now, so that's why they're in the race too.

Very interesting league this year for sure.
Reply 49
I'd want it to be Everton (really like Martinez), but unfortunately that's unlikely to happen. I'm guessing it will be Liverpool. I think United will come 5th, though if Mata gives every other first team player a real boost they may still make it into the top four, I guess.
Reply 50
Newcastle don't have a chance of fourth, especially if Cabaye does go, so let's ignore them.

I don't think Mata is anywhere near being enough for United. Rooney and RVP back would add a lot, but United were still really poor with them playing at the start of the season. With Carrick out now, I think the midfield will continue to be too much of an issue.

I don't know a lot about Everton, so it's hard to say. They seem to have a decent first XI but not much beyond that, so I suppose it just depends if they can keep them all fit. Plenty of FA cup matches to rest players in and maybe some international weeks though, so I wouldn't worry about them burning out.

Spurs are very likely to do it imo. Lots of people are attributing their form under Sherwood to what typically happens when a new manager comes in, but they have a really good side that hasn't been performing up until now. There are still plenty of players who have yet to show us what they're capable of (I'm thinking Lamela & Chadli here. Paulinho and Capoue haven't really done anything of note either, but I don't think the former will). They really need to start playing Vertonghen at CB with Chiriches, dropping the awful Dawson. Problem with that is that they need a LB, and Walker is pretty ****ty when it comes to defending too, so they're quite exposed on the wings. Eriksen has really got going lately, living up to what we've seen him do at Ajax but still has a lot more to offer.

Liverpool were my bet a few months ago, but now I'm not so sure. I really, really like what Rodgers has done with the side; the awful team he inherited from Dalglish has now become this. My concern for them is the injury situation. Lucas is now out, and I don't know how they're going to handle that. Plus the entire defence has been destroyed my injuries, which is a lot to cope with. I had expected them to be active in this transfer window, and it did look they were going to get Salah. I don't think that that was what they needed when you consider the injuries though, and a lot depends on how soon they get back.

How I see it finishing:

4. Spurs
5. Liverpool
6. United
7. Everton

As for who'll win, I said Chelsea at the start of the season but City have convinced me now. City, Chelsea, Arsenal for me, with the latter even potentially being dragged into 4th place. I don't think Arsenal will be able to handle injuries to key positions, and it's likely that'll happen at some point.
Reply 51
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Definitely. I agree with that.

Under no circumstances can we lose to City. Like with us we're a very nervy team when we win. City just seem like they can win without effort. Arsenal to a lesser extent now, but you expect them to win when they play another team. You've been beasts away from home as well compared to Chelsea and City.

Chelsea seem to just adapt to every situation and find a way to win, gotta say in terms of who plays the best football, it would be City, then Arsenal, then Spurs(under Sherwood) then Everton, then Chelsea. I don't think we play any better than Everton regardless of who we have. What we can do however is adapt to situations, you don't have to adapt if you're City(for obvious reasons) as they're better than almost everyone, probably nearly as good as Madrid. Arsenal play very good football and can grind out results now, so that's why they're in the race too.

Very interesting league this year for sure.

You play boring stuff at times (more often than not) but that is symptomatic of Mourinho, who is the best tactician in world football tbh. If you change your system on a weekly basis (even with minor adjustments) dependent on the team you face, it's never going to be able to look as good as a team that plays the same way regardless of opposition (as arsenal do 90% of the time), but damn is it effective.
Original post by xDave-
Newcastle don't have a chance of fourth, especially if Cabaye does go, so let's ignore them.

I don't think Mata is anywhere near being enough for United. Rooney and RVP back would add a lot, but United were still really poor with them playing at the start of the season.

Our record with them both playing this season is won 6 drawn 2 lost 0, and we've only ever lost one PL game with them playing together, City when we'd all but won the league.
Reply 53
Original post by manchesterunited15
Our record with them both playing this season is won 6 drawn 2 lost 0, and we've only ever lost one PL game with them playing together, City when we'd all but won the league.

Surely you'd agree that, even with that record, United have still been poor with them (this season)? The only convincing wins I can recall with both of them on the pitch were Fulham and Arsenal (though Arsenal was only 1-0, but United never really looked like losing).

There have been plenty of dodgy results with them, falling behind to Stoke twice, being bailed out by Januzaj against Sunderland, being unable to get a second against Soton and drawing in the last minute. Even against Palace, it took a red card for United to actually get going. And I still think that Chelsea would've beaten United at OT if Jose didn't park the bus.

That isn't what I'd describe as convincing.
Reply 54
There's been talk all season of how Arsenal will simply 'fall away', but it's just not going to happen. They are much improved, the Ozil signing was a massive boost. I think games like Cardiff at home, won 2-0, last year that would have ended 0-0. This is a more resilient Arsenal side with more ingenuity.

But I can't look past City to win the league. With that squad. They've just got everything, the complete team. The spine of the team with Aguero, Yaya Toure, Kompany, just scarily good.

I actually think Chelsea will come third, but will have an excellent season in the cups possibly winning the FA Cup, perhaps even the Champions League. Hard to bet against Mourinho. Chelsea will strengthen in Summer.

I just think United are too far behind. You look at the squad and it looks like it deserves to be in 7th. They've been poor. People talk about Robin and Wayne, but as I argued in the United thread, the game against Southampton both played, the defeat to WBA both played, the loss to Newcastle RVP played, and the losses to Everton and Spurs Wayne played. It just looks like a really bad squad. Unless they get another 2 in I think they'll come 7th. Mata is just one part, they need 3 or 4 more coming in in Summer. You'd say the starting 11 needs three or four more players let alone the squad. Liverpool to come 4th if Suarez stays fit. Although he could be gone in Summer which means mid table for them next season.

Newcastle...not for me, even worse than Manchester United. Can't believe how well Everton and Spurs have done, I expected both to flop under poor managers, but those poor managers have turned into great managers. United 7th, with a 200 million revolution required in Summer to repair the damage of Fergie and his flops.

1. City
2. Arsenal
3. Chelsea
4. Liverpool
5. Everton
6. Spurs
7. David Moist
8. The rest.
Reply 55
Liverpool or Man United. If absolutely hate it if united came in the top 4, though.
I'd be nice to see Everton get there, but they don't have enough quality backup in enough areas.
Original post by Eboracum
There's been talk all season of how Arsenal will simply 'fall away', but it's just not going to happen. They are much improved, the Ozil signing was a massive boost. I think games like Cardiff at home, won 2-0, last year that would have ended 0-0. This is a more resilient Arsenal side with more ingenuity.

Have you seen their run from next week until halfway through March?
Reply 57
Original post by Wilfred Little
Have you seen their run from next week until halfway through March?

Yeah we've collapsed before with 10 times easier second halves so I'm not ruling anything out. Though if we come anything below 3rd I will be severely disappointed.
Reply 58
Liverpool for me, Spurs 5th. Everton/us probably 6th. (Man Utd fan)
Reply 59
Having seen the January transfer window close:

Man City
Chelsea
Arsenal
Liverpool
Man Utd
Spurs
Everton

Man City still have the best squad in the league. If they get knocked out of the CL, they will walk the league.
Chelsea improved by buying Matic and improving one position but they still need a striker who is better.
Arsenal are starting to get injuries and have that monster fixture list in Feb and March.
So long as Suarez and Sturridge aren't injured/banned, I think Liverpool will keep scoring.
Man Utd got a lift from Mata but it hasn't addressed their midfield issues. I think they will batter some teams but be very inconsistent against others
Spurs didn't really add to their squad. It looks good on paper but I think they still need another season before it starts to gel.
Everton - with the Lukaku injury and their thin squad, I think they will have more inconsistent results than the others in the race for 4th

Quick Reply

Latest