The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Choo.choo
Your comments show you did not look at the link.
You cannot be forced to join a currency. There are five convergence criteria to meet.

To join the EU you need to adopt the euro. Case closed.
Your comments show you did not look at the link.
You cannot be forced to join a currency. There are five convergence criteria to meet.

You can be forced to join a currency if its part of the membership criteria for honing the EU. Latvia adopted the euro this month with a whopping 20% support for adopting the euro.

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/4521/latvians_overwhelmingly_oppose_joining_euro_but_will_do_so_anyway_on_jan_1

So basically, you've just made a claim. And I have provided clear cut evidence that disproves that claim.
Original post by MatureStudent36
You can be forced to join a currency if its part of the membership criteria for honing the EU. Latvia adopted the euro this month with a whopping 20% support for adopting the euro.

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/4521/latvians_overwhelmingly_oppose_joining_euro_but_will_do_so_anyway_on_jan_1

So basically, you've just made a claim. And I have provided clear cut evidence that disproves that claim.

Are you saying that European Union are wrong about their own rules?
Original post by FredOrJohn
Still waiting for a reply from SNP supporters

This is the most ridiculous post I have ever seen (the one you quoted). Unionists say that everything Nationalists do is sentimental and feeling driven and then you go and post this? ****ing L O L.
Also, how many people opposing Scottish independence here are actually Scottish?
Are you saying that European Union are wrong about their own rules?

Their rules are that new mebers join the Euro. You're the one that seems to be seem sto be having difficulty understanding it.

http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/euro/adoption/index_en.htm

all EU Member States have to join the euro area once the necessary conditions are fulfilled, except Denmark and the United Kingdom which have negotiated an 'opt-out' clause that allows them to remain outside the euro area.

So yes, we will be joining the Euro. It's aprt of the criteria for joining the EU, accepatnce of teh Euro.

Are you one of these wierd little people who seem to think we can join teh EU and then choose not to folllow the rules?
Original post by Libertatem
Also, how many people opposing Scottish independence here are actually Scottish?

Doesn't matter, every poll shows that the vast majority of Scots oppose independence.
Reply 5387
No one likes a unionist.

Unfortunately for your lot, the majority of the Scottish people are - and in living memory always have been - unionist.

Westminster working in the interests of Scotland?
13-06-30.jpg

Yes. Indeed, welfare reform is not only essential, it is good - and quite bloody popular into the bargain. More people in Scotland agree with key welfare reform policies like the Benefits Cap than do so in England, and most Scottish people believed welfare was too generous.

As for "austerity", there isn't any. £7 billion more is still spend on Scotland by the UK Government (£1,600 more per person per year than is spent in England, I should point out) than is raised in Scotland in revenue. If you're calling that austerity, you simply don't know the meaning of the word.

What we can be sure of, however, is that out of all these things, there is one thing even less popular among MPs from Scottish constituencies: Scottish nationalism. Only six support that, while 12 are part of the governing parties.

[Incidentally, those stats are crap - for example, the 'bedroom tax' one is based on a vote after a debate which wasn't particularly well attended, not a vote on the legislation]

Unionists say

Really? All the millions of unionists say that? Or a majority of them say that? In fact, does anyone say that?

Or could it be that you're just making things up?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Smack
Doesn't matter, every poll shows that the vast majority of Scots oppose independence.

Every poll? I'd recheck before making such a sweeping statement.
Reply 5389
Original post by cowsforsale
Hidden files, just like hiding the Mcrone report and keeping threats of cuts silent.

What absolute nonsense. There was nothing remotely hidden about these documents - they were confidential on the basis of being cabinet issues, and kept under the 30 year rule. In case you haven't noticed, the SNP Scottish Government does just that. Hell, they spend thousands of pounds every year keeping things secret in court appeals against the Scottish Information Commissioner after she has ruled there's a public interest in seeing certain things .

Yes, the government probably didn't want oil drilled in an area which was used by the MOD. So what? That's an entirely normal and reasonable thing to do.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5390
The Tories just want to attack the poor - definitely not a social conscience there.

You can tell someone's lost an argument when they have to resort to straightforward abuse about fictitious beliefs attributed to their enemies, that not a single vaguely neutral observer would ever believe.

Indeed, to suggest the most popular political party in our country are somehow wanting to attack poor people is not only a horrendous smear, it shows you up as an absolute **** of a human being.
Reply 5391
You have to join the Exchange Rate Mechanism for a period of two years to join the euro currency.

In case you haven't noticed, Scotland doesn't and wouldn't have a currency to join ERM II. That particular element of the convergence criteria is completely irrelevant.

No-one would force Scotland to join anything - however it can be imposed as a condition of membership of the EU. That's not being forced into something, that's a government making a commitment.

But hey, don't just listen to me, how about Professor Andrew Hughes-Hallet, one of the First Minister's own economic advisers. He has said "all new members of the EU are required to join the Euro eventually".
Every poll? I'd recheck before making such a sweeping statement.

scotland_independence_35_year_trend-lrg.gif
Original post by L i b
You can tell someone's lost an argument when they have to resort to straightforward abuse about fictitious beliefs attributed to their enemies, that not a single vaguely neutral observer would ever believe.

Indeed, to suggest the most popular political party in our country are somehow wanting to attack poor people is not only a horrendous smear, it shows you up as an absolute **** of a human being.

Taking benefits (or money) away from people that need help is not attacking the poor? Seriously?
What about the tax cut offered to millionaires by the Tories, which Ed Balls today announced he would reverse if Labour win next year?
Original post by Smack

They are absolutely mad to reject independence. Why would you want to stop your own country that you care so much from self-determination?
Original post by L i b
In case you haven't noticed, Scotland doesn't and wouldn't have a currency to join ERM II. That particular element of the convergence criteria is completely irrelevant.

No-one would force Scotland to join anything - however it can be imposed as a condition of membership of the EU. That's not being forced into something, that's a government making a commitment.

But hey, don't just listen to me, how about Professor Andrew Hughes-Hallet, one of the First Minister's own economic advisers. He has said "all new members of the EU are required to join the Euro eventually".

Really? Denmark and the UK don't have the euro currency. Why were they not forced to join?
They are absolutely mad to reject independence. Why would you want to stop your own country that you care so much from self-determination?

More to the point, why would you want to live in a country when you think most of its inhabitants are mad? Presumably you will emigrate after Scots have demonstrated to you they are mainly mad?
Original post by Good bloke
More to the point, why would you want to live in a country when you think most of its inhabitants are mad? Presumably you will emigrate after Scots have demonstrated to you they are mainly mad?

I mean that they are making a poor decision. Not they are "mad mentally" as in they are nuts.
Original post by MatureStudent36
scotland_independence_35_year_trend-lrg.gif

There have been a few (and I mean, very few) polls that have won in support for independence. Not every poll has been won in support for the union, but I do concede that majority have.
Reply 5399
Taking benefits (or money) away from people that need help is not attacking the poor? Seriously?

Welfare reform is there to get people into work, noting that the most effective way out of poverty - in fact, the most effective way of doing almost everything from improving health to increasing educational attainment of children - is to bring about employment. We've had a great deal of problems with worklessness in this country, and it's something that we've needed to address for a long time.

From speaking to voters, the perversity of the welfare system was most keenly noticed amongst the working class: people who did work, but realised there were incentives not to, or saw their neighbours living on out-of-work disability benefits when they were perfectly physically capable of holding down a job.

There is nothing worse for people who can work than to be out of work. It is psychologically damaging, excludes them from society and leads to a whole manner of problems from crime to substance abuse. I want rather more for people in this country than that.

What about the tax cut offered to millionaires by the Tories, which Ed Balls today announced he would reverse if Labour win next year?

Foolish move by Ed Balls. Not only do we have lower taxes under the 45p rate, we also have an increased tax-take from it. Win-win. Also you don't have to be a millionaire to get taxed at the 45p rate.

Latest

Trending

Trending