The Student Room Group

Dentistry Graduate Entry 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
I got rejected pre-interview for the 5 year course at Kings last night....don't feel there's much hope for the 4 year GPEP now :frown:
Original post by crose22
I got rejected pre-interview for the 5 year course at Kings last night....don't feel there's much hope for the 4 year GPEP now :frown:

Don't give up hope. Give them a call on Monday to see where you stand. If you don't get a place this year, reapply in October, ask for feedback and improve your application based upon it. In the greater scheme of things, one year is nothing at all, chin up!

Who knows, you may have been rejected from the 5 year as you have a 1st in biomedical sciences, and the first year of the 5 year course is virtually just biomedical sciences, thus they may think you're better off on the 4 year. Think positive!
Reply 422
Original post by pauljoseph
Don't give up hope. Give them a call on Monday to see where you stand. If you don't get a place this year, reapply in October, ask for feedback and improve your application based upon it. In the greater scheme of things, one year is nothing at all, chin up!

Who knows, you may have been rejected from the 5 year as you have a 1st in biomedical sciences, and the first year of the 5 year course is virtually just biomedical sciences, thus they may think you're better off on the 4 year. Think positive!

Thanks for the advice, the encouragement really helps :smile: I hope this is true about the 4 year, just have to think positive I guess!

I would apply again in October but I'm getting old having already had 2 years out after graduating (I'm now 23) and I applied in 2009 as well - hence my diminishing levels of hope! Lol.

How are your applications going?
Original post by crose22
Thanks for the advice, the encouragement really helps :smile: I hope this is true about the 4 year, just have to think positive I guess!

I would apply again in October but I'm getting old having already had 2 years out after graduating (I'm now 23) and I applied in 2009 as well - hence my diminishing levels of hope! Lol.

How are your applications going?

Applications are going well, thank you. 23 is not old, listen dentistry is a job for life even if for example you don't qualify until you're 35, you're going to be a dentist for another 30 years until retirement, and if you give up you will forever regret it! You don't want that on your mind! My dentist became qualified at 40! and he said it was the best decision he'd made in his entire life.

IMO the only things which may need improving on your application are your UKCAT, relevant work experience and perhaps your personal statement. Improve those three things and you will succeed, no doubt about it. Heck, you'll probably succeed this year, so don't worry yet!
Reply 424
Original post by pauljoseph
Applications are going well, thank you. 23 is not old, listen dentistry is a job for life even if for example you don't qualify until you're 35, you're going to be a dentist for another 30 years until retirement, and if you give up you will forever regret it! You don't want that on your mind! My dentist became qualified at 40! and he said it was the best decision he'd made in his entire life.

IMO the only things which may need improving on your application are your UKCAT, relevant work experience and perhaps your personal statement. Improve those three things and you will succeed, no doubt about it. Heck, you'll probably succeed this year, so don't worry yet!

All of your points are very true :smile: it is all about stepping back and looking at the bigger picture, in the grand scheme of things, no, 23 isn't too old I suppose.

UKCAT score is the main thing to improve in my application, it's just a shame a lot seems to be placed on this. But hey, dentistry is competitive so I can see why they have to consider all avenues!

Good luck with all of your applications :smile:
Original post by crose22
All of your points are very true :smile: it is all about stepping back and looking at the bigger picture, in the grand scheme of things, no, 23 isn't too old I suppose.

UKCAT score is the main thing to improve in my application, it's just a shame a lot seems to be placed on this. But hey, dentistry is competitive so I can see why they have to consider all avenues!

Good luck with all of your applications :smile:

Yes, I'm not a fan of the UKCAT myself, but they want it so we have to play along, just practice practice practice, from now until june, and aim for a score above 700.

Thank you, all the best for your application too!
Reply 426
Ok so i called Kings this morning and they told me that my application is still being considered. They said that that my application was strong but there were stronger candidates that have been invited to the 5th feb interview date. Depending on how they do I may be called for a interview at the beginning of march. They said i should have a response between mid to late Feb.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nyruz
Ok so i called Kings this morning and they told me that my application is still being considered. They said that that my application was strong but there were stronger candidates that have been invited to the 5th feb interview date. Depending on how they do I may be called for a interview at the beginning of march. They said i should have a response between mid to late Feb.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone know roughly how many people are being interviewed on the 5th Feb?
Original post by Nyruz

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good news! What was your UKCAT and GCSE's, if you don't mind me asking.

I'm applying undergrad but no ones mentioned much about kings on the undergrad thread
Reply 429
Original post by S2010
Wigets,
What is your ukcat score and what was your mates one as well?
Barts rank it by ukcat so that would be an indication for us. Thanks. Also good luck with your interview, when is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you! It was the same day as Kings (5th) so I'm now waiting for my rescheduled date :/
I have an average of 800 and I think my friend was 780ish
Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 430
Original post by #FutureDentist
That's good news! What was your UKCAT and GCSE's, if you don't mind me asking.

I'm applying undergrad but no ones mentioned much about kings on the undergrad thread

I don't really think thats good news, sounds like a long shot to me hahaha. my GCSE
s and A-levels were bad, lets just leave it at that. My ukcat score was 680, last year i got 665 and got an interview so I think the cut-off must have increased this year.
Hey everyone, I've also applied for the 4 year course, and so far have been offered deferred entry for UCLAN, not sure why deferred, but they said the applicant were particularly strong this year so better than nothing! Has anyone heard anything back from Liverpool? I think that might be my best bet for 2014 entry since ive not heard anything from Kings or Aberdeen
Reply 432
Original post by merrmerr
Interview at kings postgrad!!

congrats! Do you know what type of interview it is? Like mmi/panel? I can't seem to find any real info
Reply 433
Got my UCLan letter this morning finally!!! :smile:
Reply 434
Original post by widgets
congrats! Do you know what type of interview it is? Like mmi/panel? I can't seem to find any real info

It's MMI! :smile:
Do you have a kings interview? How you feeling about it?
Reply 435
Original post by bjft
Got my UCLan letter this morning finally!!! :smile:

I was really hoping it would tell me what DEC they want to send me too....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 436
Does anybody know when we should hear from Liverpool?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 437
Original post by merrmerr
It's MMI! :smile:
Do you have a kings interview? How you feeling about it?

Hey yh I have one, 3/4 of my interviews are MMI so I'm just nerding up on the ethical scenarios and being able to answer why kings..how about you?
I wish we knew what kind of stations we're getting!
(oh and feeling nauseous...all the time haha)
Reply 438
When I called them they told me they are interviewing (for both the 4 and 5 year course) throughout the whole of February and you should receive and invitation to interview 2 weeks before your interview.

However I've noticed that only undergraduates have heard from Liverpool and that no one from the 4 year programme has heard Back yet.....

Sooo I'm guessing we should hear back within the next two weeks or so...
I'm still waiting on Kings 4 year course, Aberdeen and Newcastle! I can't help but think it's bad news :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest