The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

air transport management

air transport management
BSc (Hons) at loughborough university. i am currently applying for this course, can anyone please provide me with information about the course and employability with the degree. is the course any difficult?
thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi Kiwhay,

I'm currently a first year student studying the course, I started in September. I'm currently in my first semester and these are the modules we are studying:

.Introduction to Management
.Introduction to Economics
.Introduction to Air Transport
.Transport Demand & Human Need
.Management Finance (Accounting)
.Communication

At the moment I'm finding economics and management finance challenging. The course itself is not hard as long as you turn up to lectures and read up on everything that is required. The first 2 years tends to be business related modules, most of the aviation stuff is in the final year.

The degree is offered at 5 other universities in the UK but its named differently for example 'aviation management' at Coventry and 'Air Transport and Logistics management' at Huddersfield but Loughborough is by far the best university in the country offering the programme.

If you want to know more then just message me or find me on Facebook.

Nikhil Patel
[email protected]
(edited 10 years ago)
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
hi, i have applied this course as well, just got one question hows campus life? i mean iv looked up few videos and read few things about it but it would be really useful if you tell me as its your first year.
Original post by huseyink1994
hi, i have applied this course as well, just got one question hows campus life? i mean iv looked up few videos and read few things about it but it would be really useful if you tell me as its your first year.

Campus life at the student experience in Loughborough is second to none and you will have an absolutely amazing time! We are consistently in the top 10 for universities with the best student experience.

Plus if you're studying Air Transport Management, then you'll want to join LSU Velocity next year - The university's double award winning society for people interested in travel and transport! We go on trips to companies such as Airbus, Rolls-Royce, BAE Systems, British Airways and more! Next week we are going on our annual trip abroad and this year we are going to Hamburg for 4 days during which we will be going to the Airbus A380 Final Assembly Line! For more information see https://www.facebook.com/LSUVelocity or www.lsu.co.uk/velocity!

See you next year hopefully! :smile: x
Original post by Leah Michelle
Campus life at the student experience in Loughborough is second to none and you will have an absolutely amazing time! We are consistently in the top 10 for universities with the best student experience.

Plus if you're studying Air Transport Management, then you'll want to join LSU Velocity next year - The university's double award winning society for people interested in travel and transport! We go on trips to companies such as Airbus, Rolls-Royce, BAE Systems, British Airways and more! Next week we are going on our annual trip abroad and this year we are going to Hamburg for 4 days during which we will be going to the Airbus A380 Final Assembly Line! For more information see https://www.facebook.com/LSUVelocity or www.lsu.co.uk/velocity!

See you next year hopefully! :smile: x

Thanks for the information.

Since it says "GCSE MATHS" only do you do any exams/test on maths? and many of the universities i have checked require GCSE english or equivalent, why Loughborough university doesn't ask for English or equivalent?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5

Ha Leah I see you've started marketing Velocity already, Velocity is like the best and I'm really looking forward to Hamburg!

The university is brilliant and the people you meet here are just so amazing. Even though I've only been here for a couple of months I can tell you my time here at Loughborough has been the best period of my life, its nice to hang out with normal people as I come but quite a bad place full of crime and chavs which I before I came here

The only thing I would like to see is more girls, I think Loughborough has like a 60-40% male to female ratio because its mainly a sports and engineering uni but uni is still fun and there's literally always something to do
Reply 6

Since it says "GCSE MATHS" only do you do any exams/test on maths? and many of the universities i have checked require GCSE english or equivalent, why Loughborough university doesn't ask for English or equivalent?

I didn't realise you no longer required GCSE English, I'm sure it was a requirement last year so its slightly strange to drop the requirement has Loughborough is one of the top in the country and the top for undergraduate transport management.

There are some elements of the course that will require Maths, so far in my first semester I've studied economics and finance (accounting). I have to say this is not my strongest area and I really hated economics but its doable. Also like most courses in the UK the first year doesn't count towards the final grade so you only need to get the 40% pass mark on first year on modules which is handy when everyone goes wild during the first year as its normally the first time people gain true independence

Original post by nickpatel19
I didn't realise you no longer required GCSE English, I'm sure it was a requirement last year so its slightly strange to drop the requirement has Loughborough is one of the top in the country and the top for undergraduate transport management.

There are some elements of the course that will require Maths, so far in my first semester I've studied economics and finance (accounting). I have to say this is not my strongest area and I really hated economics but its doable. Also like most courses in the UK the first year doesn't count towards the final grade so you only need to get the 40% pass mark on first year on modules which is handy when everyone goes wild during the first year as its normally the first time people gain true independence

GCSE language at grade C is a requirement across the university (though particular courses or departments might set a higher requirement, I assume).

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/essential-information/entry-guidance/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Potally_Tissed
GCSE language at grade C is a requirement across the university (though particular courses or departments might set a higher requirement, I assume).

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/essential-information/entry-guidance/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes i know you need GCSE English but my question was why in Loughborough's website and in ucas it doesn't say as requirement, most of the universities would put GCSE English or equivalent..

I don't why it doesn't show in ucas or in the uni's website, i have also email from Dr Marcus Enoch saying:

Thanks for your enquiry. We need you to get DDM from BTEC to be accepted. This could be from two courses as long as they are both at level 3.

We also require grade C in GCSE mathematics.

I hope this clarifies things.

Marcus Enoch

Dr Marcus Enoch
Admissions Tutor for BSc in Transport and Business Management and BSc in Air Transport Management
School of Civil and Building Engineering
Loughborough University
Leicestershire LE11 3TU UK

He didnt even say anything about English..
I don't why it doesn't show in ucas or in the uni's website, i have also email from Dr Marcus Enoch saying:

Thanks for your enquiry. We need you to get DDM from BTEC to be accepted. This could be from two courses as long as they are both at level 3.

We also require grade C in GCSE mathematics.

I hope this clarifies things.

Marcus Enoch

Dr Marcus Enoch
Admissions Tutor for BSc in Transport and Business Management and BSc in Air Transport Management
School of Civil and Building Engineering
Loughborough University
Leicestershire LE11 3TU UK

He didnt even say anything about English..

DDM? Well when I applied for the course the requirements were DMM 280 UCAS points, I did BTEC Level 3 Business.

If the GCSE requirement is no longer showing on UCAS or the Loughborough University website and Sr Enoch hasn't mentioned it I guess the department has dropped this requirement for entry onto the course. I'm meeting my personal tutor today lunchtime (Dr Tim Ryley) who is the programme director for the course, I'll double check with him and I'll let you know this evening.
DDM? Well when I applied for the course the requirements were DMM 280 UCAS points, I did BTEC Level 3 Business.

If the GCSE requirement is no longer showing on UCAS or the Loughborough University website and Sr Enoch hasn't mentioned it I guess the department has dropped this requirement for entry onto the course. I'm meeting my personal tutor today lunchtime (Dr Tim Ryley) who is the programme director for the course, I'll double check with him and I'll let you know this evening.

Thanks, could you tell me the nearest self-catered accommodation to the John Pickford building? Telford looks good and its cheap
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks, could you tell me the nearest self-catered accommodation to the John Pickford building? Telford looks good and its cheap

Sorry for the late reply, I've been on a trip to Airbus in Hamburg. Dr Marcus Enoch deals with all the entry stuff so I guess GCSE English at C is no longer a requirement.

The closet to John Pickford is Bakewell but that's pricey as f*ck. I'm currently in Bill Mo (William Morris) and by location wise I think this is the best. It's no to far from town, its right next to the union which is incredibly convenient on a night out and it takes 10 minutes to get to West Park (engineering area where we are based, 5 min walk to bus stop and 5 min bus journey). A free shuttle bus service operates on the campus. I'm living here in Bill Mo again next year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Would anyone on this course be able to answer a few questions? I am very interested in the course but not sure if it's right for me or not.
Original post by Andy13
Would anyone on this course be able to answer a few questions? I am very interested in the course but not sure if it's right for me or not.

Sorry for the late reply, fire away, how can I help you?
Reply 15
No worries Nick. PM sent.
Reply 16
Did you get my pm?
Reply 17
Hi All, i'm currently in my 2nd year of Air Transport Management and will be starting my placement with DHL in July. Feel free to ask any questions about the course or uni you might have. Also, if you're at all interested in aviation (which I assume you must be to have chosen this course!) you should definitely check out Loughborough Students' Flying Club www.lsu.co.uk/society/flying :smile:

1 minute ago

hi guys, i just read this old topic. I going to apply for the same Msc, have you got any suggestion? Does it worth it? is interesting and did you have meetings with airlines company or airports manager?
Just received an offer to study Air Transport Management at Loughborough, I need AAC or ABB.

Is anyone else considering applying to do this course next year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending