The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by danixxx
Hi!
I've applied to Imperial, York, UCL, Warwick and Bath. I got 4 A's in Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Psychology at AS and also in EPQ. So far I have 3 interviews and I'm still waiting to hear from Warwick and Bath. Has anyone had an interview at any of the others, that could give me some advice on what to do, apart from read over my personal statement? :smile:

Hi! I also applied to Warwick, York and Bath (for Natural Sciences at Bath though). Warwick (as far as I'm aware) don't interview for Chemistry!

Read over your PS, familiarise yourself with both AS and A2 Chemistry stuff from the syllabus, and just be normal! There is absolutely nothing to freak out about :smile:
Reply 1461
Original post by freshypot♥
Hi! I also applied to Warwick, York and Bath (for Natural Sciences at Bath though). Warwick (as far as I'm aware) don't interview for Chemistry!

Read over your PS, familiarise yourself with both AS and A2 Chemistry stuff from the syllabus, and just be normal! There is absolutely nothing to freak out about :smile:

If Warwick don't interview I'd be so happy! So far I think it may be my first choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1462
has anyone heard from Warwick or Bath yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by danixxx
has anyone heard from Warwick or Bath yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep. I think it took about 10 days for Bath to give me an offer and about 6 weeks for Warwick. I applied early October.

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone heard anything from st andrews yet?
Reply 1465
Over 14 weeks since I applied to Warwick, still waiting... :confused:
Reply 1466
Original post by sugarmouse12345
anyone heard anything from st andrews yet?

I know a few people. A few from England who have conditionals, and I got an unconditional (Scottish applicant), but not many have heard yet x
Original post by gmseahorse
Look up Villiers Park. They do an amazing residential course.
Read why chemical reactions happen by Wothers and Keeler.
Do the chemistry olympiad and cambridge chemistry challenge this year. In order to broaden your chemistry general knowledge do the cambridge chemistry challenge on line too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with reading WCRH, but for the love of God, do NOT mention it in your PS.
Everyone seems to mention that blasted book.
Original post by danixxx
If Warwick don't interview I'd be so happy! So far I think it may be my first choice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Asked my sister who is studying there now, they definitely don't interview for Chemistry :smile:
Original post by .snowflake.
I agree with reading WCRH, but for the love of God, do NOT mention it in your PS.

I mentioned it, so mainstream :P
Reply 1470
Original post by .snowflake.

I mentioned it :colondollar:
Original post by gmseahorse
I mentioned it, so mainstream :P

Original post by Gotzz
I mentioned it :colondollar:

Likewise :grin:

It wasn't mentioned in any of my interviews so I was quite happy :h:

Although, that being said, my weeks of work experience wasn't mentioned. :unimpressed:
Reply 1472
Original post by CJG21
Likewise :grin:

It wasn't mentioned in any of my interviews so I was quite happy :h:

Although, that being said, my weeks of work experience wasn't mentioned. :unimpressed:

What work experience did you do?
I did a 6 week Nuffield Research Placement, but I thought I was applying for Maths at the time, so I did some stupid Physics/Computer Science placement. It was so bad. Could've done a Chemistry one!
But I got like £600 so it was ok :tongue:
Original post by Gotzz
What work experience did you do?
I did a 6 week Nuffield Research Placement, but I thought I was applying for Maths at the time, so I did some stupid Physics/Computer Science placement. It was so bad. Could've done a Chemistry one!
But I got like £600 so it was ok :tongue:

Lucky you :tongue:

I spent a week at a company that makes car valeting products. And a day at Reckitt-Benckiser.
Reply 1474
Original post by CJG21
Lucky you :tongue:

I spent a week at a company that makes car valeting products. And a day at Reckitt-Benckiser.

That sounds good. What did you get to do?
I just sat on a computer all day for six weeks, learning the basics of Matlab and creating some crappy app.
Original post by Gotzz
That sounds good. What did you get to do?
I just sat on a computer all day for six weeks, learning the basics of Matlab and creating some crappy app.

Sounds better than what I did :tongue:

I mixed the raw chemicals together into the containers to create the products to be sold. Twas boring :tongue:

And some admin, which I actually quite enjoy :grin:
Reply 1476
Original post by CJG21
Sounds better than what I did :tongue:

I mixed the raw chemicals together into the containers to create the products to be sold. Twas boring :tongue:

And some admin, which I actually quite enjoy :grin:

I just spent most of the time on Youtube, watching The Ellen Show and stuff...
That sounds alright :tongue:
Original post by Gotzz
I just spent most of the time on Youtube, watching The Ellen Show and stuff...
That sounds alright :tongue:

It didn't exactly make me want to do chemistry :lol:

I hope I end up in finance. I don't enjoy lab work at all.
Reply 1478
Original post by CJG21
It didn't exactly make me want to do chemistry :lol:

I hope I end up in finance. I don't enjoy lab work at all.

:eek:
Finance?!
I hope I end up in research :blush::moon:
Original post by Gotzz
:eek:
Finance?!
I hope I end up in research :blush::moon:

Yeah, I like working with numbers. It'd be easy.

I can't imagine I'd ever leave academia and join the real world though. Research would be alright I suppose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending