The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1480
Original post by CJG21
Yeah, I like working with numbers. It'd be easy.

I can't imagine I'd ever leave academia and join the real world though. Research would be alright I suppose.

Again, I ask, why aren't you applying for Maths then?!
Original post by Gotzz
Again, I ask, why aren't you applying for Maths then?!

I'm not good enough.

If I could go back 3 years or so I'd concentrate on my maths and apply for it.

But I can't. So I'm stuck doing this tripe for the rest of my life :facepalm:
Reply 1482
Original post by CJG21
I'm not good enough.

If I could go back 3 years or so I'd concentrate on my maths and apply for it.

But I can't. So I'm stuck doing this tripe for the rest of my life :facepalm:

That's no way to talk about Chemistry :frown:
Original post by Gotzz
That's no way to talk about Chemistry :frown:

Yeah, you're right. I do like it, I suppose. But I'm not really very passionate about it.
Original post by gmseahorse
I mentioned it, so mainstream :P

Original post by CJG21
Likewise :grin:

It wasn't mentioned in any of my interviews so I was quite happy :h:

Although, that being said, my weeks of work experience wasn't mentioned. :unimpressed:

See what I mean? It's a bit of a cliche to mention it!

Original post by Gotzz
I mentioned it :colondollar:
Reply 1485
Original post by CJG21
Yeah, you're right. I do like it, I suppose. But I'm not really very passionate about it.

That's better, I guess. :tongue:
Original post by .snowflake.
See what I mean? It's a bit of a cliche to mention it!

You'd stand out if you didn't mention it then, if that is the case. Better to be the same as everyone than worse than everyone!
Original post by CJG21
You'd stand out if you didn't mention it then, if that is the case. Better to be the same as everyone than worse than everyone!

true. If you can't beat them, join them.

I will admit all the homo/ lumo stuff in WCRH really confused me when I tried to read it the first time...
true. If you can't beat them, join them.

I will admit all the homo/ lumo stuff in WCRH really confused me when I tried to read it the first time...

Aha, likewise. I don't think I can recall any of it now, I'm glad none of the interviewers asked me about it. :lol:

I'll read it again over the summer, and do it slowly, making notes if I need to.
Original post by CJG21
Aha, likewise. I don't think I can recall any of it now, I'm glad none of the interviewers asked me about it. :lol:

I'll read it again over the summer, and do it slowly, making notes if I need to.

You'll find that a lot of the VSEPR stuff will come up in your first year. (Chemical Bonding by Mark J. Winter is the **** for this)*

* He's definitely not my DoS or anything...
(edited 10 years ago)
You'll find that a lot of the VSEPR stuff will come up in your first year. (Chemical Bonding by Mark J. Winter is the **** for this)*

The first 3 or 4 chapters were fine. Then I realised I had like 2 weeks to finish it before my interview and didn't take the rest of it in. :facepalm:
Reply 1491

I have Chemical Bonding by Mark J. Winter! And have sort of read it :colondollar:
Original post by Gotzz
I have Chemical Bonding by Mark J. Winter! And have sort of read it :colondollar:

I've had him for 2 modules last year, and I have him for 2 modules this year as well. He's lovely. The eyebrows are somewhat intimidating. And it's pretty awk when I bump into him on the way to the library on a sunday morning. I usually look like crap.

Hated VSEPR before uni, didn't quite get any of the questions right. But now I actually get it it's fun predicting shapes :redface:
Original post by Gotzz

I've had him for 2 modules last year, and I have him for 2 modules this year as well. He's lovely. The eyebrows are somewhat intimidating.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Hated VSEPR before uni, didn't quite get any of the questions right. But now I actually get it it's fun predicting shapes :redface:

Same. Because at A level they just get you to remember a load of shapes.
Which your lecturer for your VSEPR module then spends 4 weeks trying to get you to un-remember them...
I've had him for 2 modules last year, and I have him for 2 modules this year as well. He's lovely. The eyebrows are somewhat intimidating.

Same. Because at A level they just get you to remember a load of shapes.
Which your lecturer for your VSEPR module then spends 4 weeks trying to get you to un-remember them...

yeah exactly! Now that they don't have to simplify it down it all makes sense :smile:
yeah exactly! Now that they don't have to simplify it down it all makes sense :smile:

EVERYTHING makes more sense when they don't have to simplify it.

I have an organic chemistry exam tomorrow. A friend has posted this on my course's FB group. I thought you'd find it equally as hilarious as we have.
Remember guys, it's not about how well you do tomorrow but about how many times you can legitimately say 'backside attack'
Reply 1497
What have people heard from York, I applied in mid-November and am in their hold category and am wondering when I might hear from them.
EVERYTHING makes more sense when they don't have to simplify it.

I have an organic chemistry exam tomorrow. A friend has posted this on my course's FB group. I thought you'd find it equally as hilarious as we have.

It makes me think of Sn2 but I don't get it
:colondollar:
It makes me think of Sn2 but I don't get it
:colondollar:

it is SN2, AND WE GOT TO MENTION IT!
Basically, his point was, 'It doesn't matter how well the exam does/doesn't go. I'm just interested in how many times we can mention backside attack.'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending