The Student Room Group

Should children be taught about religion and/or God?

Comments below and please classify why and your own standing on faith.

Scroll to see replies

I don't think they should be indoctrinated but religion is a big part of the world. Not informing them about religion and sending them out to the world is a bad idea imo.
It leaves them prone.
Reply 2
been a christian for some years.. now im recovering
I think kids should be taught that religion exists, and they probably know that already - they'll have seen a church or mosque at some point and wonder what happens inside. I think respect for others' faiths is drummed into us enough already.

But, kids do not need to know Christian views on sport, or Muslim views on sex, or Hindu views on war (RE GCSE was compulsory in our school). It's just a complete waste of time. Knowing others' religions to that sort of depth is really not necessary.
I think that children should be taught about religion but about all of the main seven equally not promoting any of them over another.

I think that it is important to have understanding of other cultures and faith. I also believe that having religion brings you closer to people and does teach you to have morality as well as a sense of humanity. I also find it interesting personally to hear about other religious cultures and practices.

I am a Christian. :smile:
Reply 5
Absolutely need to be aware of the various 'main' religions they will come across, but should only be taught such things in an entirely neutral manner and environment. They should not cover all aspects of various doctrine but should be aware of the primary thoughts and ideologies of the religions as well as their histories and origins, primary figures, etc... Parents should not be allowed to remove their children from open RE classes regardless of their own religion. Also, RE teachers should not just be English/Maths/History teachers dragged from their respective departments for one class a week, as I've seen in a couple of schools.
I'm atheist. Whilst RE was compulsory in my school I still feel as though I'm lacking awareness on various religions despite my own research, and this leads to embarrassing ignorance when I come across them in real life. I think a little more could have been and can be done to present the unbiased facts of more elements of religion to children.
I do think that too many schools have embedded Christianity which needs to be addressed... we would always sing hymns, towards the end of the month we were drowned with religious Christmas stories, etc. Some of it is fine, but the way it was all worked in so easily to my early school years is a little creepy.
Reply 6
They should ONLY if they want too, people who don't want to be taught should not be forced too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Dragonborn
I think kids should be taught that religion exists, and they probably know that already - they'll have seen a church or mosque at some point and wonder what happens inside. I think respect for others' faiths is drummed into us enough already.

But, kids do not need to know Christian views on sport, or Muslim views on sex, or Hindu views on war (RE GCSE was compulsory in our school). It's just a complete waste of time. Knowing others' religions to that sort of depth is really not necessary.

The UK is becoming increasingly multicultural and I do think that knowing a bit about each of those religions means that people are more understanding and accepting.

I do think the way they teach religion is a bit boring though, I would like to see it become a little more hands on with talks from members of different religions and visits to places of worship etc.
Reply 8
I think so yes. Even if you're not religious I think children should learn about it. Otherwise they'll go out into the world with no idea and be confused when they meet people who are religious.
I think it should just all be done in a respectful way.
Original post by StrangestThings
The UK is getting increasingly multicultural and I do think that knowing a bit about each of those religions means that people are more understanding and accepting.

I do think the way they teach religion is a bit boring though, I would like to see it become a little more hands on with talks from members of different religions and visits to places of worship etc.

Yeah, it is kind of important, although I'm not sure if it is necessary to know a religion too such depth as in RE GCSE.

Also, religion is sugar-coated to come across as something all-benevolent. Let us not forget that there are contradictions within all religions and that they condemn things that we find normal. Many religions are not pro-feminist and are homophobic.
I think that children should be taught about religion not from a religious point of view, but from a historical point of view. And maybe a rough outline about the teachings and ideologies of the main religions. But I think RE should NEVER be compulsory like it was at my school at GCSE. I would have taken it anyway because it was an easy A but I didn't like that I had no choice.

I am non religious and most probably atheist
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
I didn't even go to a religious school but was forced to pray twice a day... Definitely breached my human rights or something haha

I feel like you should be taught about them generally and then let the parents of the child teach their child about their religion. Going into detail and having an exam in RE was completely pointless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
No, why is it part of the curriculum? A brief hour a week, brings no real benefit to one's education. I often skipped it at GCSE to do French :smile:
Reply 13
Thanks all for your input. There are a lot of comments on teaching in a neutral way. How about if the child asks, 'is this true' or whether you believe said religion or ideas? Would you then reply stating your own beliefs ? How would you tackle this?

Why do you think it's important to be neutral when teaching about religion?
Original post by The_Dragonborn

Also, religion is sugar-coated to come across as something all-benevolent. Let us not forget that there are contradictions within all religions and that they condemn things that we find normal. Many religions are not pro-feminist and are homophobic.

I agree with that. All religions should be approached critically where their faults and strengths are discussed. Children need to learn to question what they are told and judge for themselves :smile:
In my opinion, yes. But I personally wouldn't have teachers with a strong bias teaching it unless in Catholic schools etc.
Reply 16
Yes, absolutely. I actually find that most young adults are unable to distinguish between people of different faiths. Ignorance just makes way for discrimination and other things that should be combatted for an understanding, educated and well functioning society.

As is obvious, both science and religious studies should be taught objectively... as they are in 99.9% of schools, I'm sure.

I'm religious.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
They should be taught about religion, but not taught religion at schools. Perhaps most importantly, they should be taught some history on religious belief - both recent and ancient.

EDIT: Sorry, the 'why' being so as they are as free as possible to make up their own mind on religious matters, and I'm an atheist (technically an agnostic one I suppose).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Misread as should chicken be taught about religion.
Reply 19
They should have some basic knowledge of the main religions through RE lessons taught in primary school. This will educate them about why some people behave the way they do and help them generally to understand some people.

Quick Reply

Latest