The Student Room Group

Are my A levels 'soft'?

I want to study politics at a Russel uni like Exeter, Manchester etc....

I am studying:
English Literature
English Language
Sociology
ICT

I know politics isn't a particularly competitive degree, but am I screwed in terms of only taking one 'facilitating', two 'semi-soft' and one 'soft'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh and just to add I've recently taken mocks in my subjects and got AAAB, and hoping for AAAA proper!
Reply 2
Don't think of them as necessary 'soft', but as useful to your desired degree. What will you be able to relate directly back to politics in an interview or ps? I would recommend removing one of the English subjects, possibly language, but that is my bias as a lit student perhaps. What does your school/college offer - anything with more of a management side? Or anything such as psychology? I would say you need something that links more directly to politics in there, to have alongside Sociology, and that you are losing an opportunity by studying both English subjects. I also wonder if ICT is wise. I cannot see how it would relate to politics and think it is certainly seen as a wasted option, particularly if you aren't going to utilize those tech skills after the A Levels.
History would also be a great one to have, if you could consider that.
Reply 3
Original post by awe
Don't think of them as necessary 'soft', but as useful to your desired degree. What will you be able to relate directly back to politics in an interview or ps? I would recommend removing one of the English subjects, possibly language, but that is my bias as a lit student perhaps. What does your school/college offer - anything with more of a management side? Or anything such as psychology? I would say you need something that links more directly to politics in there, to have alongside Sociology, and that you are losing an opportunity by studying both English subjects. I also wonder if ICT is wise. I cannot see how it would relate to politics and think it is certainly seen as a wasted option, particularly if you aren't going to utilize those tech skills after the A Levels.
History would also be a great one to have, if you could consider that.

Yeah I totally agree with everything you've said, but its a bit too late! I guess I'll just have to 'spin it' on a personal statement and hope for the best. I will say, that sociology will give (and has given!) a good insight into politics.
Reply 4
No, English Literature is actually difficult and I've never studied English Language, Sociology or ICT, but they're not looked down upon. I'd say if you do well in your A-levels and you enjoy them, this won't let your application down.

To go with Politics, something like Economics or History would have complemented, but Sociology goes well too and English Literature shows you can write essays.

Just write a good personal statement and try to get your best A-level marks you can
Reply 5
Original post by Ripper-Roo
No, English Literature is actually difficult and I've never studied English Language, Sociology or ICT, but they're not looked down upon. I'd say if you do well in your A-levels and you enjoy them, this won't let your application down.

To go with Politics, something like Economics or History would have complemented, but Sociology goes well too and English Literature shows you can write essays.

Just write a good personal statement and try to get your best A-level marks you can

Thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by famguyfan33
Yeah I totally agree with everything you've said, but its a bit too late! I guess I'll just have to 'spin it' on a personal statement and hope for the best. I will say, that sociology will give (and has given!) a good insight into politics.

Oh my mistake (thought you were asking for choosing tips) - but why ask for someone's opinion on something you can't change? P: Hah.
Yup, just will have to work on that spin. Try and get something/anything/everything you can outside of university that shows you are considerate to aspects of politics other than those that arise in sociology. A good way to sneak into the 'industry' is through small journalism either online or offline; i.e, a few of my friends create their own experience through politics blogs etc, one volunteers when at home for Labour doing door-to-door and stall campaign work.
(edited 10 years ago)
if you want to play it safe take AS politics or history & EPQ in your A2 year

that would negate any concerns over your subject choices
On TSR if you're not doing Maths,Further Maths,Chem,Phy,Bio then your subjects are pretty much soft. Which in reality isn't the case at all.

Do the subjects you want to do at A-levels given that you enjoy them and they will support your university course. No subjects are necessarily 'soft' but there are subjects which some/most universities don't accept, for instance Critical Thinking and General Studies. A lot of universities offer a list of their preferred subjects where they'd ask for at least one or two to be taken. Also the entry requirements for a course gives a clear indicator of which A-levels are essential.
Reply 9
You'll be fine getting offers for a Politics degree with those subjects as they're mainly essay based.

In English and Sociology you should cover some political grounds. Sociology is similar to Politics in terms of the ideology aspects (Marxism, Feminism etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sociology and ICT are generally seen as soft by top universities but I'd check the websites of the universities. I don't know how universities see taking Double English; I've never seen a case when anyone's done that.
Reply 11
Original post by yl95
Sociology and ICT are generally seen as soft by top universities but I'd check the websites of the universities. I don't know how universities see taking Double English; I've never seen a case when anyone's done that.

If you look at some of the stalking pages you'll see I'm not the first and most certainly won't be the last taking double English.
Reply 12

I am studying:
English Literature
English Language
Sociology
ICT

I know politics isn't a particularly competitive degree, but am I screwed in terms of only taking one 'facilitating', two 'semi-soft' and one 'soft'?

I do German, Geography and ICT and I applied to top russel groups and got a place :hand: dont worry boo

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am studying:
English Literature
English Language
Sociology
ICT

My friend did those and got offers from all five RG unis including King's, Sheffield and Bristol for Politics :smile: you're fine!
Reply 14
Original post by lauramercier
My friend did those and got offers from all five RG unis including King's, Sheffield and Bristol for Politics :smile: you're fine!

Thank God for that!
unis don't care if you meet the entry requirements
Thank God for that!

She did History AS instead of ICT but that shouldn't make a difference!
Reply 17
Original post by lauramercier
She did History AS instead of ICT but that shouldn't make a difference!

Given that History is a hell of a lot more relevant to Politics than ICT is, I wouldn't be so sure...
Original post by Ronove
Given that History is a hell of a lot more relevant to Politics than ICT is, I wouldn't be so sure...

I'm still sure OP won't have anything to worry about as long as they get good grades :smile:
Both Lit and Lang are quite strong. ICT and sociology may be seen as a bit soft. But I think A levels such as Media would be seen as softer. So don't worry :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending