The Student Room Group

Psychology degree

I have applied and received offers to study a psychology degree and I am interested in knowing if anyone is currently doing it/ enjoying it as I'd love to hear your experiences! One specific detail is that at the universities I've applied for anyway, they offer many practicals and lab work but what does this actually entail? What kind of things do you study in labs?

thank you
Original post by amia96
I have applied and received offers to study a psychology degree and I am interested in knowing if anyone is currently doing it/ enjoying it as I'd love to hear your experiences! One specific detail is that at the universities I've applied for anyway, they offer many practicals and lab work but what does this actually entail? What kind of things do you study in labs?

thank you

I did my undergraduate degree at Northumbria, and we had 4 hours of labs/practicals per week. They generally involved designing and carrying out experiments/investigations, and then writing up what we'd done in lab report format. We had a new lab report to do every two weeks.

In my opinion, having a lot of labs is a really good thing. Being able to nail writing a lab report early on in your degree, how the write ups for quantitative and qualitative reports differ, how to report stats properly etc. will really help you when it comes to doing things like your dissertation.

I know a few people who never really did any practicals or proper lab report write ups at uni, and they really struggled with their dissertations because of it.
Reply 2
I'm currently in my first year at Cardiff, so I dont know what its like in future years, but currently we have three hours of lab work every other week, which comes with a report to write up due in the week later
I've found the lab work and being able to write a report early on useful, especially when it comes to reading journal articles and exams
Reply 3
Original post by racheyroo
I'm currently in my first year at Cardiff, so I dont know what its like in future years, but currently we have three hours of lab work every other week, which comes with a report to write up due in the week later
I've found the lab work and being able to write a report early on useful, especially when it comes to reading journal articles and exams

Do you enjoy it? i should be starting next year if i accept
Reply 4
Original post by amia96
Do you enjoy it? i should be starting next year if i accept

yeah im loving it, its a lot more work than i expected, but manageable and i find it interesting so dont mind doing it :smile:
what uni are you hoping to go to?
Reply 5
Original post by racheyroo
yeah im loving it, its a lot more work than i expected, but manageable and i find it interesting so dont mind doing it :smile:
what uni are you hoping to go to?

University of Liverpool or University of Sheffield, yourself?
Reply 6
thats cool :smile: sheffield looks really nice online, i nearly applied there too
im at cardiff :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest