The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by woztar

What should he do? He told me that he wants to do medicine or at leafs dentistry abroad.

:facepalm:

Does he want to do medicine or does he want to dentistry, because that sounds like he wants to make daddy proud and thinks he earn a lot of money...
Reply 3741
Original post by ameelia22
:facepalm:

Does he want to do medicine or does he want to dentistry, because that sounds like he wants to make daddy proud and thinks he earn a lot of money...

No he's dream is medicine. But maybe medicine is not for him.
Reply 3742
The thing is he is very young in my opinion. He finished his alevels at 17.

and will be eighteen in March.
Reply 3743
Final interview out the way, just need to wait to hear back now...
Good luck to everyone and congrats to those with offers!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mcollin1
Final interview out the way, just need to wait to hear back now...
Good luck to everyone and congrats to those with offers!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Were you at HYMS today?
Good luck with the wait!
I've got one more left...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3745
Original post by itsmagic
Were you at HYMS today?
Good luck with the wait!
I've got one more left...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was indeed! Were you? What time?
Hows it gone so far? Who you waiting for? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was indeed! Were you? What time?
Hows it gone so far? Who you waiting for? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yesss I was 9am registration! What time was yours? Asian/Indian girl who talked quite a lot before the interview haha :smile:
I'm on waiting list at SGUL, waiting for KCL post-interview, interview at Soton on Tuesday and, as of today, waiting for HYMS :smile: what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3747
Original post by itsmagic
Yesss I was 9am registration! What time was yours? Asian/Indian girl who talked quite a lot before the interview haha :smile:
I'm on waiting list at SGUL, waiting for KCL post-interview, interview at Soton on Tuesday and, as of today, waiting for HYMS :smile: what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah mine was 10am so i didnt see you! How was it?
Ah so no bad news yet!!
Waiting for soton, exeter, newcastle and hyms all post-interview! Hear from exeter next week ahh :redface: not very hopeful though was my worst interview haha!
Ah so no bad news yet!!
Waiting for soton, exeter, newcastle and hyms all post-interview! Hear from exeter next week ahh :redface: not very hopeful though was my worst interview haha!

I was at 10am too! How did you find it? I think the group exercise was hard to contribute to as I didn't want to interrupt anyone haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, does anyone know if you get paid annual leave even if you quit before you take it?

(Edit: as a HCA in a hospital)
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3750
Guys, does anyone know if you get paid annual leave even if you quit before you take it?

(Edit: as a HCA in a hospital)
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm trying to work out your situation, and from what I can figure, I think the answer is no. At least not in my trust. I am having my las working day on 28 February, and then I have to cash in all of my annual leave after that - so I officially leave in mid February, although my last day on the ward is the 28th. Ask the ol' line manager..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hugby1
I'm trying to work out your situation, and from what I can figure, I think the answer is no. At least not in my trust. I am having my las working day on 28 February, and then I have to cash in all of my annual leave after that - so I officially leave in mid February, although my last day on the ward is the 28th. Ask the ol' line manager..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't know if i'm ready to admit that I want to leave :colondollar:
Reply 3752
Don't know if i'm ready to admit that I want to leave :colondollar:

You played it all wrong!! I told everyone from day one I was leaving after six months. That way I got über respect for being a prospective medic, and they also have tried to mould me into the 'perfect doctor'. In other words, a cushy doc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3753
Original post by Hugby1
You played it all wrong!! I told everyone from day one I was leaving after six months. That way I got über respect for being a prospective medic, and they also have tried to mould me into the 'perfect doctor'. In other words, a cushy doc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for butting into your conversation...thing is I've applied for a few NHS jobs and when they realise that I'll leave if I get a medical school offer then they automatically reject me after interview! I have a couple of HCA interviews next and was going in with the intention of basically saying nothing about university...advice?!? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by picnmix
Sorry for butting into your conversation...thing is I've applied for a few NHS jobs and when they realise that I'll leave if I get a medical school offer then they automatically reject me after interview! I have a couple of HCA interviews next and was going in with the intention of basically saying nothing about university...advice?!? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's one of those things that there is no real answer to.

On my gap year, I worked in a care home as a care assistant. In my interview, they looked at my grades and said something like, "Surely you don't plan on being a care assistant forever? What are your plans for the future?"

I didn't see any point in lying, so I told them that I was on a gap year and re-applying for medical school. They took it really well, said it was great that I was looking for experience, and I got the job on the spot. They were also really understanding when I booked days off for interviews and held a party for me when I got an offer and then left.

However, I think they were used to having a transient staff book. If they were looking for someone permanent and didn't ask about my plans, I wouldn't have mentioned it.
Reply 3755
Original post by TattyBoJangles
It's one of those things that there is no real answer to.

On my gap year, I worked in a care home as a care assistant. In my interview, they looked at my grades and said something like, "Surely you don't plan on being a care assistant forever? What are your plans for the future?"

I didn't see any point in lying, so I told them that I was on a gap year and re-applying for medical school. They took it really well, said it was great that I was looking for experience, and I got the job on the spot. They were also really understanding when I booked days off for interviews and held a party for me when I got an offer and then left.

However, I think they were used to having a transient staff book. If they were looking for someone permanent and didn't ask about my plans, I wouldn't have mentioned it.

Thanks so much for your answer! I'm just so unsure about what to do :/ I'm a very open and honest person so in my first couple of interviews I just put my cards out on the table and told then about the whole reapplying to medical school situation - they said they appreciated how candid and honest I was, but it was the reason I didn't get the job...being honest didn't really pay off in that situation :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hugby1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sadly even if the above is wrong, it is very true. Originally, I just didn't think I would get an offer and I didn't want to deal with the whole "I'm going to uni so bye bye and yes I did fail at getting into medicine, no don't ask me why, and yes I am doing something else, no don't ask," you know?
But recently whenever staff on the ward have asked "So...you're planning on doing your nurse training right? I mean you're young so you might as well..." I don't have the heart to tell them..."er, as of last week I'll be training to be a doctor come September" so I sort of just play it like I don't really know what I'm doing with my life (even though I have 1 very clear goal in mind) and give it the whole "well... I'm just going to see how this goes and take it from there...". As a result a lot of people seem to think I am lazy and lack ambition and if would even go as far as saying some staff nurses think I'm insignificant. Although I have told a couple of people and they've been entirely shocked.

I also haven't really made up my mind about whether to leave sooner or later. I'm currently paying a ****load for my car insurance so I sorta need the money, but then on the other hand I could do plenty of other things that don't involve having to smell a stomach ha that would pay me just as well so it's a tricky balance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3757
Original post by robrob9595
I was at 10am too! How did you find it? I think the group exercise was hard to contribute to as I didn't want to interrupt anyone haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome! were you yellow 1 or 2?
I though the group went pretty well but that's because I actually made decent points compared to Southampton where I barely said anything haha!
Ah so no bad news yet!!

I thought the mini-interviews went well (not sure I did ok in the group but I enjoyed it nevertheless) but I'm sure I'll get slowly more pessimistic as the waiting time increases haha! What about you? Wow that will be me with 4 waits after tomorrow! Good luck! :biggrin: we have 2 medschools in common lol :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awesome! were you yellow 1 or 2?
I though the group went pretty well but that's because I actually made decent points compared to Southampton where I barely said anything haha!

Yellow 2, which were you? Haha glad it went well for you, the group one for me sounds like your Southampton one, I barely said anything because I didn't want to interrupt people haha good luck for your replies

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest