The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Georgiecat
Stuck on entry! In my defence, I haven't studied any organic chemistry except what we've done in biology.
EDIT: C28H32O3N2 maybe?

Here is a clue which might help you identify the structure: benzoic acid. By the way, your formula is so close...check the number of hydrogens :smile: Goodluck!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by adampatel123
im stuck on SILVER

Hi adampatel123 - what have you got so far...have you tried the monoisotopic mass? Good luck, hope this helps!
Well I guess we have to find an hydrocarbon with that molecular mass right??
Original post by happymonkey7
Well I guess we have to find an hydrocarbon with that molecular mass right??

Yes that is correct.
But I already tried and it never gives the exactly result... I tried C70H18, C69H30,C68H41 also C67H53 C66H65 etc... Do I just have to keep trying with less number of carbons??
Hi, basically I don't really understand what the question is trying to ask for..
Hi, basically I don't really understand what the question is trying to ask for..

Which question?
But I already tried and it never gives the exactly result... I tried C70H18, C69H30,C68H41 also C67H53 C66H65 etc... Do I just have to keep trying with less number of carbons??

You are so close...
Silver
Silver

Look up the formula which you have been given and find The monoisotopic mass

C66H65 is so close!
Original post by ComputeiT
Here is a clue which might help you identify the structure: benzoic acid. By the way, your formula is so close...check the number of hydrogens :smile: Goodluck!

Worked it out in the end! :u:
Thank you guys I finally completed the challenge can't belive I took 3 days complete gold...
Thank you guys I finally completed the challenge can't belive I took 3 days complete gold...

Well done :smile:
Finally completed Jan 2011. How many centuries have passed...
Okay, finally on Rg level! I'm so far behind everyone else... *cries*
FINISHED! My first ever Cambridge Chemistry Challenge complete :3

Wish me luck for next month XD
Original post by TakashiLaSkunk
FINISHED! My first ever Cambridge Chemistry Challenge complete :3

Wish me luck for next month XD

Congrats. :woo:

This month was only the second one I'd managed to complete. Looking forward to next months! :grin:
Reply 2238
Any clues for gold?? I've tried trial and error but it's not working
Original post by Ros09
Any clues for gold?? I've tried trial and error but it's not working

That one took me ages too! There are 66 carbons...see if you can go from there :smile:

Try this website, too:

http://www.sisweb.com/referenc/tools/exactmass.htm

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest