The Student Room Group

Becoming a RAF Pilot

Hi,

I have always liked the idea of becoming an RAF Pilot, so I was wondering, how do I become one? also are glasses an issue? If they are, I'm defiently can't become one?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you're vision isn't 20/20 or correctable to 20/20 then you can't be a pilot. Best to get that checked first.
Reply 2
Check out RAF web site. Bound to be pilot recruitment stuff there. But I need to say it is highly competitive.
Reply 3
Original post by ryan9900
If you're vision isn't 20/20 or correctable to 20/20 then you can't be a pilot. Best to get that checked first.

Well that is a real downer. I wear glasses and if I take them off I can't see objects clearly that are 60cm away..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Tigerheart
Well that is a real downer. I wear glasses and if I take them off I can't see objects clearly that are 60cm away..

Unless that could be corrected to 20/20 with laser eye surgery then unfortunately you can't be a pilot. This was taken directly from the RAF website regarding eyesight requirements:

The minimum standards for both uncorrected and corrected vision vary for different roles and are determined by RAF medical staff.
Whatever role you’re applying for, your spectacle or contact lens correction must not be greater than -6 dioptres or +6 dioptres in any meridian. If you have impaired colour perception (colour blindness) it won’t prevent you from joining the RAF, but it may limit what roles you can choose.
If necessary, talk to your optician about what your eye prescription is and whether it may affect your application. Remember, you’ll need to take a copy with you of any acuity prescription from your optician when you go for your medical examination.
Reply 5
You do NOT need 20/20 vision to apply for pilot. You may apply with eyesight below 20/20 although the limit is very fine. The ONLY people who can tell you if you can apply or not are the AFCO staff or the medical staff at either the AFCO phase or OASC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Cheers guys, but I think it rules out my career then in that field, my vision is very bad, do they allow Laser Surgery?
Reply 7
Original post by Tigerheart
Cheers guys, but I think it rules out my career then in that field, my vision is very bad, do they allow Laser Surgery?

Yes laser eye surgery is permitted, providing that once done your eyesight does meet the requirements. Also, you can't apply for 1 year after the surgery.
Reply 8
Laser eye surgery is only permitted for a pilot application after a certain age, so check with the AFCO before deciding to go down this route.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by ryan9900
Yes laser eye surgery is permitted, providing that once done your eyesight does meet the requirements. Also, you can't apply for 1 year after the surgery.

Thanks

and thanks CL
Reply 10
So what do guys recommend I do up to now? I'm 14, is there anything I should prepare for?
Reply 11
Given your age, join the air cadets. It never guarantees a place in the RAF but it's good to be able to say you've done it. If you dont want to join the air cadets, join a sports team. Do the Duke of Edinburgh award. Do anything that gives you a role of responsibility and shows you have leadership skills. Work on your fitness. Whatever role you go for in the RAF, fitness and leadership are important.
Gliding is a very low cost and extremely valuable entry to flying. And you can start younger too.
Reply 13
Thanks for the tips guys, can I change from Army Cadets to Air cadets?
(edited 10 years ago)
Ryan9900 gives dome very good advice there. Basically, do SOMETHING! Show you can be part of a team, be active, be sociable and demonstrate you have responsibility.

And yes, you can move from army cadets to air cadets. Although, it doesn't really matter which you are part of, it's being part of something that counts. The air cadets though may give you more opportunity to gain an insight into the RAF.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by CurryLover
Ryan9900 gives dome very good advice there. Basically, do SOMETHING! Show you can be part of a team, be active, be sociable and demonstrate you have responsibility.

And yes, you can move from army cadets to air cadets. Although, it doesn't really matter which you are part of, it's being part of something that counts. The air cadets though may give you more opportunity to gain an insight into the RAF.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks, advice taken on board, is there any height restrictions, I'm currently 5'10
It's not about overall height, it's about the proportions of certain body parts. Again, the ONLY people qualified to answer this are the medical staff at OASC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Agree with CurryLover, just do something. If you think it's relevant and you get an opportunity, do it. I'm giving you the advice I wish someone had given me 4 years ago when I was 14. I've recently applied to be an Aircraft Technician and am relying purely on the interview to impress as I never did any air cadets, sports teams, or anything even remotely useful. I don't have anything to show I have the motivation, confidence or leadership skills to be in the RAF and this is definitely what I wish someone had told me. Prepare, prepare and prepare some more.
(edited 10 years ago)
You can do the RAF flying aptitude tests for pilot training without committing yourself to anything :wink:
Reply 19
Ryan and Simon you've both been massive help, thank you very much, it is much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest