The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Publishing 2013

I've recently been offered a place at UCL in the Publishing MA. I'm moving to London from Ireland. Just wondering if there is anyone else here in the same boat or even just people who were accepted into the course. I'm really excited about moving as I've never lived outside of Ireland before.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello Penny

Congratulations on being accepted at UCL!

I'm from France and I myself have applied to this Publishing course. I have an interview this week and I was wondering if you had any tips.

Cheers.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Hi,

Well don't be nervous Sam and Nick, who conduct the interview, are really lovely and put you at ease. I think what worked for me was that I kept up to date with recent publishing news and mentioned it in conversation (Things like big releases, mergers, successful books). Also there's an opportunity to discuss the problems within modern publishing which is a nice way to show off your knowledge. Other than that your interest in the course will stand to you, they seem to be really excited about what they do it's really lovely. Good Luck!
Reply 3
Hi there!
Congratulation Penny!
I'm from Italy, and I'll be interviewed in a few days. I don't have a publishing background, having studied Literature, and I was wondering how much in-depht the interview could go.

Lae, have you already been interviewed? Any tips?

Thanks!!
Reply 4
Hello,

I did have my interview and it went really well.
I've been made an offer so I'm also going to move to London. I'm really excited!
Thank you Penny for your help!

Seppia, don't worry. As Penny said, Sam is lovely and warm. The interview is fairly informal but it's a two-way thing. She'll ask you questions and then you'll have the chance to ask her questions. It was easy as I expected most of the questions (Talk about your favourite book or one that you've read recently, why did you choose UCL, what are your career goals)

I don't have a Publishing background either (I've also been studying literature) but that's what the course is for! But I read a lot of articles about Publishing to stay up-to-date.
What's important is to show your enthusiasm and your interest.
For the rest, Penny said it all!

Good luck!
Reply 5
See you in London!!! :smile:
Reply 6
Hey Lae, Congratulations on your offer! it's going to be a very fun year! I'm moving to London from Dublin and I'm finding it insanely difficult to sort out accommodation so just a heads up to start looking early! :smile:
Reply 7
Hi, I know this post was for last years applicants, but I'm wondering if anyone could give me a few tips? I have my interview at lunchtime tomorrow and I'm so nervous about it, particularly as it's in front of two people... Is it really as terrifying as I imagine it will be?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Not at all. It will be really easy. just think a bit about why you're applying for ucl instead of others courses, why an MA publishing, what role inside the publishing industry you'd like to cover in the future, and where do you see yourself in 5-10 years.. good luck!
Reply 9
Thank you so much, I'm just worried that my shyness will be my downfall! How long did you have to wait before you got an offer?
Reply 10
Original post by Pharris925
Thank you so much, I'm just worried that my shyness will be my downfall! How long did you have to wait before you got an offer?

I had my interview yesterday - how did you get on? I didn't think it was that bad!
Reply 11
Original post by Alexalu
I had my interview yesterday - how did you get on? I didn't think it was that bad!

Hiya, yeah it wasn't that bad, there were one or two questions where I felt my answers could have been a lot better. But it must have been fine as I have a conditional place for next year, I'm really glad I was told told straight away, I hate the anticipation! How did you find it?
Reply 12
Ooh, good! I guess I'll be seeing you next year then, I got in too, unconditional :smile:. I think I rambled a lot but I tend to do that!
Reply 13
Ooh that's great, hope to see you there in September! I thought I was really early applying as I couldn't seem to find anyone else mentioning it online anywhere - I'm glad I'm not the only one! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys!
I'm attending this year too, so excited!

I've also made a Facebook group so we can all chat a bit and get to know each other. Should be useful all year I hope. Search for UCL Publishing on Facebook if you want to join.

Looking forward to seeing you in Sept.

Also, what are you doing for accommodation? I'm still looking

Sam
Hi,

You've probably long moved on from this thread, but I'm applying to UCL from Ireland too! I was just wondering what news feeds you followed in order to find out information about the mergers and releases and things?
Hello all!

I've just sent off my application for the 2016/17 intake for the publishing MA and was wondering if any of you could tell me a little bit about your experience at UCL and what you've gone on to do since you've graduated :smile:

Thanks! x

Original post by ClaireB16
Hi,

You've probably long moved on from this thread, but I'm applying to UCL from Ireland too! I was just wondering what news feeds you followed in order to find out information about the mergers and releases and things?
Original post by Pumpkin26015
Hello all!

I've just sent off my application for the 2016/17 intake for the publishing MA and was wondering if any of you could tell me a little bit about your experience at UCL and what you've gone on to do since you've graduated :smile:

Thanks! x

Hey! I also applied - just a few days ago, actually. Nice to meet you! Have you heard anything back yet at all?
Hi! I'm hoping to apply tomorrow for the MA in Publishing for 2017/2018. How long did you have to wait between the application and the interview? Also, is there anyone overseas who can share their experience? I imagine it must be a Skype interview, right?
Reply 19
Hi! I applied for the MA in Publishing for 2017/2018 too! It only takes between two and three weeks before you receive an email inviting you to an interview. I think it can be a Skype interview, my will be in two weeks on the college itself! So exited!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending