The Student Room Group

Can I still become a teacher with a criminology degree ??

Im studying criminology but recently I had performed well in presentations and I thought to myself about doing teaching as the lecturer and some students even asked if I wanted to be a teacher. So I looked into it dosent look too bad in terms of a job. I understand the stresses and demands teaching can bring such as meeting targets for the students and bad behaved students. However I can guarantee I will be able to handle bad behaved students and continue teaching the class.

But have I left it a bit late because I thought you need a specific degree to teach a certain subject. I mean what could I actually teacher with criminology ? I want to teach in secondary schools up to GCSE.
Reply 1
Hi there,

I don't know if it's any help, but I will have a law degree, and I have an interview on Thursday to train to teach English. I think the main thing that they will want to see is why you want to teach said subject and you did a degree in criminology, and also how the degree links in with said subject.

I will let you know on Thursday if they ask me anything like that.

Good luck
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by IMBCFC
Im studying criminology but recently I had performed well in presentations and I thought to myself about doing teaching as the lecturer and some students even asked if I wanted to be a teacher. So I looked into it dosent look too bad in terms of a job. I understand the stresses and demands teaching can bring such as meeting targets for the students and bad behaved students. However I can guarantee I will be able to handle bad behaved students and continue teaching the class.

But have I left it a bit late because I thought you need a specific degree to teach a certain subject. I mean what could I actually teacher with criminology ? I want to teach in secondary schools up to GCSE.

there was a thread posted the other day called 'want to get in to teaching. Is my degree useless? Help!' which someone posted who also did criminology. I'm a criminology and sociology graduate & am looking into teaching so have a look at that thread :smile:
Original post by damcc20
Hi there,

I don't know if it's any help, but I will have a law degree, and I have an interview on Thursday to train to teach English. I think the main thing that they will want to see is why you want to teach said subject and you did a degree in criminology, and also how the degree links in with said subject.

I will let you know on Thursday if they ask me anything like that.

Good luck

What did they say?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending