The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I found the CGP revision guide really helpful, don't believe that 'if you only use the revision guide you can't get higher than a C'. Obviously past papers nearer the time.
is anyone finding the past paper questions (particularly) the synoptic elements much much harder than AS or is it just me?
Reply 3
Original post by x__justmyluck
I found the CGP revision guide really helpful, don't believe that 'if you only use the revision guide you can't get higher than a C'. Obviously past papers nearer the time.

CGP's guides are amazing for biology,OCR's bad because it oversimplifies stuff,like you dont neeed to know all the glycolysis info in the OCR book because the process is simplified on exam questions,and that simplified pricess is in the cgp textbook - plus its so much easier to understand ito the processes :smile:
hi
does anyone have the June 2013 past paper or mark scheme?
please would be much appreciated.
thanks
I find f214 much more interesting than the AS modules but i do find it much harder
Reply 6
So does everyone agree that using the gcp revision guide can get you an A??

Posted from TSR Mobile
The CGP book is awful imo. It's okay for reading through and getting an understanding, but it doesn't contain the kind of vocab you need to get the higher marks. Also, some parts of the spec are outright missing from it. OCR's book, though quite well known for its mistakes, is far better for producing notes with, since it's often very similar marking points that come up in the questions.

I usually use a combination of the OCR textbook and the internet to double check it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Hi guys!
What's the difference between Dendron and dendrites? The OCR textbook mentions both so I'm confused
Original post by SheriB
Hi guys!
What's the difference between Dendron and dendrites? The OCR textbook mentions both so I'm confused

Dendron is the portion of the axon closest to the dendrites, between the dendrites and the cell body. See F214 January 2013, Q1. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by spleenharvester
The CGP book is awful imo. It's okay for reading through and getting an understanding, but it doesn't contain the kind of vocab you need to get the higher marks. Also, some parts of the spec are outright missing from it. OCR's book, though quite well known for its mistakes, is far better for producing notes with, since it's often very similar marking points that come up in the questions.

I usually use a combination of the OCR textbook and the internet to double check it.

I agree. It's best to use CGP as a start to get you into revision and learning the basics, but then use a variety of other resources online in addition to these books. I find revision videos and actually reading the specification are very helpful because then you know exactly what you need to know and to what depth, and if the CGP books don't have the same information, you know which stuff you need to do further revision on.
Original post by 09panesara
I agree. It's best to use CGP as a start to get you into revision and learning the basics, but then use a variety of other resources online in addition to these books. I find revision videos and actually reading the specification are very helpful because then you know exactly what you need to know and to what depth, and if the CGP books don't have the same information, you know which stuff you need to do further revision on.

Indeed, I found it useful for the odd thing the textbook doesn't explain very well, particularly in the meiosis section.

I think part of the problem is that the CGP book was published in 2009 - the same year the new spec came in, and possibly before the OCR textbook was even released. That may explain why some sections of it are completely off.
Reply 12
Does anyone have the june 2013 paper
Original post by DackSploit
Does anyone have the june 2013 paper

https://smhw-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/attachment/file/7fcde832666afc33cab3c10fd1920cf1/F214-01Jun13.pdf paper and https://smhw-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/attachment/file/3c144a8b9ecc77bf21e8444ae974364c/F214_MS_June13.pdf MS.

Not uploaded by me.

I'm not entirely sure if we're allowed to talk about June 13 stuff though - I've seen threads asking for them get locked but there's nothing in the forum rules about asking for them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Have you guys started revising yet? I am not sure when to...
Original post by amcdschool
Have you guys started revising yet? I am not sure when to...

Personally I finished F214 last september and F215 about a month back. Started using lessons for revision time and outside of lesson for Physics/Chem.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by spleenharvester
Personally I finished F214 last september and F215 about a month back. Started using lessons for revision time and outside of lesson for Physics/Chem.

I am doing the A level in a year, so won't finish the a2 syllabus till march/april… you are very speedy! Making me scared
Subscribed

Cheers for posting the Paper
Original post by amcdschool
I am doing the A level in a year, so won't finish the a2 syllabus till march/april… you are very speedy! Making me scared

Wow fair play haha! I could never dream of being able to do that. Thing is I've spent way too much time on Bio and not enough time on Chem/Phys so I've still got absolutely loads left to do.
Reply 19
I can't seem to find the F215 thread, does anyone have a link to it please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending