The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Best Leeds Accommodation?

Can anyone tell me their personal opinion/experience on accom at University of Leeds, I want to go self-catered and preferably en-suite (but not necessary). Don't want to be too far from campus and want a good atmosphere!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was at James Baillie in first year... self-catered, 25 min walk to campus I think it was, lots of parking, quite a few weirdos there though. It was alright.

Going back next year and staying at Charles Morris hopefully. On-campus, catered, parking is a bit harder, but looks like my sort of scene.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by BCcfc92
I was at James Baillie in first year... self-catered, 25 min walk to campus I think it was, lots of parking, quite a few weirdos there though. It was alright.

Going back next year and staying at Charles Morris hopefully. On-campus, catered, parking is a bit harder, but looks like my sort of scene.

Define weirdos? And what is your 'sort of scene'? Also what course are you studying?
Reply 3
There's no definite best IMO, different people prefer different things! :smile: I'd recommend going to the viewing day (March 22nd) to see which self-catered en-suite accommodation you like best, as there's quite a few of them. The viewing day last year really helped me decide which accommodation to apply for.
Reply 4
Original post by Westeros
Define weirdos? And what is your 'sort of scene'? Also what course are you studying?

Original post by carehow
There's no definite best IMO, different people prefer different things! :smile: I'd recommend going to the viewing day (March 22nd) to see which self-catered en-suite accommodation you like best, as there's quite a few of them. The viewing day last year really helped me decide which accommodation to apply for.

I'd echo that people prefer different things.

People in James Bailie were mixed but generally a bit more state school. I'm not against state schools, but they seemed a bit insecure and didn't like anyone with a bit of money. It was probably just my flat/block, but there were only a few people who were especially friendly and not cliquey, plus didn't really have any hobbies apart from just going to uni and going out for the sake of it... very few members of societies or sports clubs. There is a lot to do with luck of who you are put with though. Overall, James Baillie isn't too bad at all. I'd suggest checking it out if you go to Leeds at some point.

Charles Morris has a reputation of being 'stuck up', but that only stems from the fact that it is a bit more expensive and there are very small minority of people like that, generally people who have no right to be. Lots of people from my school seem to go there and I had/have made some good friends from there. It is also on campus which is so much more convenient.
Reply 5
Original post by carehow

I applied last year for Central Village and ended up with Oxley... which is the furthest from campus and I'm literally late everywhere I go and I wouldn't like the idea of walking for almost an hour or even getting a bus to university, I think distance will be my number one priority this year! (I ended up taking a gap year btw!)

Original post by BCcfc92
It is also on campus which is so much more convenient.

This may be a stupid question but because it's on campus does that mean it's more strict? In terms of noise etc. Thanks for your replies btw!
Reply 6
I applied last year for Central Village and ended up with Oxley... which is the furthest from campus and I'm literally late everywhere I go and I wouldn't like the idea of walking for almost an hour or even getting a bus to university, I think distance will be my number one priority this year! (I ended up taking a gap year btw!)

I'm at Oxley this year, I know what you mean! :smile: Good luck choosing accommodation, it's good you know what you want (I'm applying for Lupton for next year... need cheaper, and Headingley is lovely!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
ELLERSLIE!
Hands down, it's amazing. I stayed there first year, and next year I will be the subwarden :smile:
Reply 8

This may be a stupid question but because it's on campus does that mean it's more strict? In terms of noise etc. Thanks for your replies btw!

So are you going into second year? And looking to stay in halls?

Central village (just off campus obviously) and Charles Morris are both awesome. Henry Price is another on-campus option. In terms of strictness, I wouldn't say so. Unless you do something really silly or just be really annoying to those around you, you can do pretty much what you want. What kind of things would you be worried about?
Reply 9
Original post by BCcfc92
So are you going into second year? And looking to stay in halls?

Central village (just off campus obviously) and Charles Morris are both awesome. Henry Price is another on-campus option. In terms of strictness, I wouldn't say so. Unless you do something really silly or just be really annoying to those around you, you can do pretty much what you want. What kind of things would you be worried about?

No, I'm on a gap year now, was meant to go to Leeds in Sep 2013 but decided to take a gap year instead and go this year! :smile:

I'm just worried about the accommodation application again this year, because last year I noted that distance was an important factor, and then they put me in Oxley! My ideal accom would be self catered, en suite and close to campus and a good atmosphere, is that too much to ask for :frown:
No, I'm on a gap year now, was meant to go to Leeds in Sep 2013 but decided to take a gap year instead and go this year! :smile:

I'm just worried about the accommodation application again this year, because last year I noted that distance was an important factor, and then they put me in Oxley! My ideal accom would be self catered, en suite and close to campus and a good atmosphere, is that too much to ask for :frown:

That really is bizarre that they put you in Oxley. Central Village is quite popular though. I'd do the same again and ring them up to change it if they put you back at Oxley. It would be way to far for me, even with a car.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Central village to Oxley? That sounds weird. Do people normally apply around this time of year, or do the majority wait until they have been to the viewing day before making applications? I'd hate to see a room and really like it only for the university to designate another residence that really wouldn't suit me. Where do most of the sports-minded students live? Is it Oxley?

Also has anyone stayed at Montague Burton or North Hill Court?
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah same! I'm going this year and have applied to Devonshire, I just want a good atmosphere where people are a laugh and up for going out, apparently people are stuck up in dev and Charles Morris and its a bit isolated, but how bad is it?
Reply 13
Original post by BCcfc92
That really is bizarre that they put you in Oxley. Central Village is quite popular though. I'd do the same again and ring them up to change it if they put you back at Oxley. It would be way to far for me, even with a car.

I know! Can you ring up and change it!? I didn't know you could do that, I heard you had to move in and then after 2 weeks you can change or whatever! I'll be reaaaally mad if they put me in Oxley again

Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Central village to Oxley? That sounds weird. Do people normally apply around this time of year, or do the majority wait until they have been to the viewing day before making applications? I'd hate to see a room and really like it only for the university to designate another residence that really wouldn't suit me. Where do most of the sports-minded students live? Is it Oxley?

My friend this year is at Montague Burton, he said it's basic (in terms of the rooms etc) but the atmosphere is really good and sociable
I know! Can you ring up and change it!? I didn't know you could do that, I heard you had to move in and then after 2 weeks you can change or whatever! I'll be reaaaally mad if they put me in Oxley again

You can definitely ask for another option. I would try force them to put me where I want though haha.

I stayed at Montague Burton last year and loved it! It's a fairly decent standard and we didn't find an issue with the shared bathroom, we just had to work out each other's schedules and work around that. It's also only a 5/10 minute walk to uni depending on where you're going and about 10/15 minute walk into town. We found the BBQ area really useful and a good place to go if it was warm and didn't want to sit inside all day!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My friend this year is at Montague Burton, he said it's basic (in terms of the rooms etc) but the atmosphere is really good and sociable

Original post by socialreject
I stayed at Montague Burton last year and loved it! It's a fairly decent standard and we didn't find an issue with the shared bathroom, we just had to work out each other's schedules and work around that. It's also only a 5/10 minute walk to uni depending on where you're going and about 10/15 minute walk into town. We found the BBQ area really useful and a good place to go if it was warm and didn't want to sit inside all day!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I like the look of the BBQ area outside. Were there many mature students in Monty B? I've seen on the website that postgrads can stay there. The rent seems pretty reasonable as well. How many are there to a hall?
Reply 17
Original post by socialreject

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been considering MB for next year (between that and Lupton, my only criteria is something fairly cheap)! I'm just a bit worried about the shared bathroom - is there only one? And how clean does it tend to be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I like the look of the BBQ area outside. Were there many mature students in Monty B? I've seen on the website that postgrads can stay there. The rent seems pretty reasonable as well. How many are there to a hall?

There were a few, but none in my block. It differs depending on what block you're in but we had 9 flats of 5 in ours and the blocks go from A to M I think so there's quite a lot of people so there's lots of people to get to know :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carehow
I've been considering MB for next year (between that and Lupton, my only criteria is something fairly cheap)! I'm just a bit worried about the shared bathroom - is there only one? And how clean does it tend to be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is only one but as long as everyone doesn't take ages it's fine. Also, the toilet is separate to the shower room so there's no issues there. I was also worried but found it to be relatively clean although I don't know if having an all girls flat affected that? There are cleaners that clean the shower room very week or so and empty the kitchen bins so it doesn't get too dirty. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest