The Student Room Group

Student Finance

Hi, if I have applied for a NHS bursary should I still apply for student finance?
Original post by ata17196
Hi, if I have applied for a NHS bursary should I still apply for student finance?

Yes.
I don't think your allowed are you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Yes.
You don't receive the full amount that non-NHS courses get, but any little helps.
Obviously it depends on your circumstances as to exactly what you'll receive, but as a pointer I believe I pretty much get full entitlement at around £750 a term.
Reply 4
Yes, NHS-funded courses get a fixed amount student loan, I think it's just under £2500 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by lozzvipond
Yes, NHS-funded courses get a fixed amount student loan, I think it's just under £2500 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

this is incorrect. The NHS pays your tuition fees and everyone gets 1k a year You can apply for an NHS bursary on top of this but it's means tested. If your parents or partner earn over a certain amount you won't get a penny. I don't get a bursary because of this so have taken out a maintenance loan from Student Finance which I have to pay back when I start working after qualifying.
Reply 6
I think what the last poster meant was that the student finance loan you can apply for is limited to a max amount of c£2.5k.
If you are borrowing more, the rules must be different if you don't qualify for a bursary 'top up'.
Reply 7
I'm only going off what I've been told at talks about it at unis, the NHS bursary booklet and from this website https://www.gov.uk/nhs-bursaries/what-youll-get That is the link for what NHS student are entitled to. It says you get a means-tested bursary from the NHS, which is dependent on household income (the same as student finance for regular students), a £1000 non-means tested grant from the NHS, and a student loan of £2,324 (or more if you live in London) quoted from the website: 'The grant and the maintenance loan are independent of your household income'
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
If you want to see if you're eligible for more funding/require more funding, yes.

Original post by Sanddancerlass
I don't think your allowed are you

Yes. An NHS funded stident will just receive less than a non-NHS funded student. But they'll usually be entitled to a reduced loan.
You can only receive £700 per term of student loan but bursary is Income based assessed - Student nurse :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest