The Student Room Group

Opinions on gap-teeth?

I've always had a gap and it's a part of me so I don't want to change it, even though a dentist tried to get me to get braces for the sole purpose of closing the gap for appearance when I was 13 :/
Anyway, today I overheard some girls bitching about someone and one of them started going on about her gap and how it made her ugly. I don't personally know the girl they were talking about but I know how she looks and her gap is fine so I decided to butt in and ask why it was a big deal. The girl told me she had never realised I had a gap and apologised then they all shut up about it. Plus there's that whole joke around Georgia Jagger with the London look thing:

...I was just wondering what your opinions are. I've never had someone directly offend me about it but I have heard people comment about it negatively on other people like Georgia Jagger, Lara Stone and Abbey Kershaw. Is it really that much of a turn off? I've been hit on by a couple hot guys in the past so it's obviously not that big a deal for everyone but I was just curious :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Eddie Murphy's gap teeth are the best. When the gap is really wide like that model, its can get quite distracting esp when talking to the person :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
when i was like 14, my dentist said, you gotta get orthodontic things because when you are young, you are ok with bad teeth. when you are old, no one wants to do you if you have bad teeth.

glad my dentist told me that.
Im really OCD, so I find it a bit annoying and I understand you cant help it but I wouldn't hate you or not talk to you, based on the teeth gap :tongue:
Reply 4
Oh God I love that picture! :lol: I have quite a small but noticeable one. But noone seems to notice it really. I think they're unique and can look good on the right person.
They look okay on some people. I'm so glad I got mine sorted though. I used to have quite a big one. :redface: Thank Heavens for braces.
Reply 6
'Its not your fault you're so gap toothed'
Reply 7
Original post by Secretnerd123
Eddie Murphy's gap teeth are the best. When the gap is really wide like that model, its can get quite distracting esp when talking to the person :lol:

My gap is probably as wide as hers but I've got smaller teeth and my lips aren't as full so it's not as obvious I guess...
Reply 8
Original post by KICHMYARSE
when i was like 14, my dentist said, you gotta get orthodontic things because when you are young, you are ok with bad teeth. when you are old, no one wants to do you if you have bad teeth.

glad my dentist told me that.

Yeah, I was told a similar thing but I decided not to. Thing is, gap teeth doesn't necessarily mean 'bad' teeth. It actually means that my teeth are really easy to keep clean and they're straight anyway.
Original post by flyyoufools
Yeah, I was told a similar thing but I decided not to. Thing is, gap teeth doesn't necessarily mean 'bad' teeth. It actually means that my teeth are really easy to keep clean and they're straight anyway.

not to mention the fact that the braces were free in this country. once you turn 18, you pay a fortune.
I don't mind gaps. My ex has a gap between his two front teeth and I thought it was cute lol.
It depends- sometimes it can look alright whereas sometimes it can be really noticeable. I personally would have given anything for that problem as mine were all so squished together, even after braces they're still not straight as there's not enough room :tongue:
Reply 12
I'm indifferent tbh. I like straight teeth but don't mind the gap so much. A gap between your teeth isn't going to automatically make you ugly lol.
Reply 13
I personally love the gap between my front teeth. It's the rest of my teeth I dont like.
Reply 14
Original post by furryface12
It depends- sometimes it can look alright whereas sometimes it can be really noticeable. I personally would have given anything for that problem as mine were all so squished together, even after braces they're still not straight as there's not enough room :tongue:

Aw that sucks! I got 'lucky'? I guess. My mouth was too small when I was 9 so I had to have an operation to remove 4 teeth at the back. It actually turned out to be a good thing because I had no issue when my wisdom teeth came through and I still have a tiny bit of extra space so there's mini gaps between teeth [not visible] which makes them dead easy to keep clean :biggrin:
Aw that sucks! I got 'lucky'? I guess. My mouth was too small when I was 9 so I had to have an operation to remove 4 teeth at the back. It actually turned out to be a good thing because I had no issue when my wisdom teeth came through and I still have a tiny bit of extra space so there's mini gaps between teeth [not visible] which makes them dead easy to keep clean :biggrin:

You had to have an operation though :eek: I had four teeth out too, think I'm just awkward though- dread to think what it'll be like when my wisdom teeth actually finally start to come through :colondollar: It's good that they're easy to keep clean though- you probably have the best of both worlds now :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by furryface12
You had to have an operation though :eek: I had four teeth out too, think I'm just awkward though- dread to think what it'll be like when my wisdom teeth actually finally start to come through :colondollar: It's good that they're easy to keep clean though- you probably have the best of both worlds now :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but they knocked me out with gas [as opposed to an injection], I got a Tom & Jerry sticker and got to stay home from school watching Looney Tunes and Drake & Josh for a couple days so I was made :wink: Yup, pretty happy with my teeth :biggrin:
Reply 17
I have a gap the same size as, if not bigger than, Georgia-Mae Jagger's. I've never been self-concious about it, but a lot of people have tried to make me feel that way lol.
Anyway, the best thing I've ever heard was from the man who pierced my bellybutton about four months ago. I was talking to him and he smiled and said "I have to ask - are you from South Africa?" I was confused because I have a heavy Cumbrian accent, nothing like South African and being from South Africa himself, I'd expect him to recognise that. I replied no and he laughed and told me. "I hope you're not offended by this, but it's because of the gap in your front teeth. Where I grew up it was considered lucky to have a gap in your teeth - it means you're going to be very successful and wealthy in later life. In fact, my mum used to push a coin between my brother's teeth to make the gap wider! It's very beautiful."
I try to remember that over anything anyone else has said. It varies depending on culture. I don't care about my gap - why should it matter to me if others do? :smile:
Yeah but they knocked me out with gas [as opposed to an injection], I got a Tom & Jerry sticker and got to stay home from school watching Looney Tunes and Drake & Josh for a couple days so I was made :wink: Yup, pretty happy with my teeth :biggrin:

:lol: Wish they'd have done that to me, I hate injections! Love how you remember what the sticker was though :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by JazzB
I have a gap the same size as, if not bigger than, Georgia-Mae Jagger's. I've never been self-concious about it, but a lot of people have tried to make me feel that way lol.
Anyway, the best thing I've ever heard was from the man who pierced my bellybutton about four months ago. I was talking to him and he smiled and said "I have to ask - are you from South Africa?" I was confused because I have a heavy Cumbrian accent, nothing like South African and being from South Africa himself, I'd expect him to recognise that. I replied no and he laughed and told me. "I hope you're not offended by this, but it's because of the gap in your front teeth. Where I grew up it was considered lucky to have a gap in your teeth - it means you're going to be very successful and wealthy in later life. In fact, my mum used to push a coin between my brother's teeth to make the gap wider! It's very beautiful."
I try to remember that over anything anyone else has said. It varies depending on culture. I don't care about my gap - why should it matter to me if others do? :smile:

True, I hadn't really thought about the culture thing :smile: I remember hearing that you'd be rich if you could fit a 2p coin between your teeth when I was 8 or so and I could which I was pretty chuffed about :wink: but I feel like people judged me more on it as I grew older.

Quick Reply

Latest