The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester Freshers 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FlyHigh_er
I went to UCL yesterday, and I think I'm going to Manchester, almost certain, just gonna think for a week.

It would sound like the job prospects with human Sci would be limited compared to biochemistry, but defo just pick the uni you like best. Can you change courses at UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously? Were you there for a post offer open day or something? What made you change you mind?
Human sci is quite wishy washy I guess, esp as you tailor your course to what you like so everyone's different. Which is all good but..
I probably can but tbh I didn't really like there Biochem course there. Manchester was broader and generally more interesting.
OrgamiBullets is right, we've both got ages. I think Ill do it February some time, just to get it out of the way.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Soontobesuper
Seriously? Were you there for a post offer open day or something? What made you change you mind?
Human sci is quite wishy washy I guess, esp as you tailor your course to what you like so everyone's different. Which is all good but..
I probably can but tbh I didn't really like there Biochem course there. Manchester was broader and generally more interesting.
OrgamiBullets is right, we've both got ages. I think Ill do it February some time, just to get it out of the way.

Yup, post offer day, and I liked it but something was off, I couldn't tell. All I hear is everyone saying "it's UCL you should go" and I know I will like it there but there's just something about Manchester that calls me. So, I've basically decided.

The course you study is the most important, you should put that above all else as you do better when you enjoy it more.

I want to do it at least at the start of feb, otherwise I'll go crazy thinking about it. Plus, I want to sort out my retakes and start working for them but I have to choose which ones to do because the grades are different. The form has to be in for march the 3rd or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an offer for economics and finance :smile:
I must have 14,5 at the french baccalaureate with 14 in english, i think that's like an A overall with a A/B in english!
I thought manchester U was way more selective :tongue:
Original post by FlyHigh_er
Yup, post offer day, and I liked it but something was off, I couldn't tell. All I hear is everyone saying "it's UCL you should go" and I know I will like it there but there's just something about Manchester that calls me. So, I've basically decided.

The course you study is the most important, you should put that above all else as you do better when you enjoy it more.

I want to do it at least at the start of feb, otherwise I'll go crazy thinking about it. Plus, I want to sort out my retakes and start working for them but I have to choose which ones to do because the grades are different. The form has to be in for march the 3rd or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup hear that abut UCL all time. I guess because I have been there a far few times I'm quite comfortable, but know studying there would be different. I guess I feel that picking Manch would be easy way out? Because of the general calibre of students at UCL and pressure.
Im going to wait until visiting Surrey. What did you say your insurance will be? And how big will the grade difference be between your firm and your insurance?
Original post by Soontobesuper
Yup hear that abut UCL all time. I guess because I have been there a far few times I'm quite comfortable, but know studying there would be different. I guess I feel that picking Manch would be easy way out? Because of the general calibre of students at UCL and pressure.
Im going to wait until visiting Surrey. What did you say your insurance will be? And how big will the grade difference be between your firm and your insurance?

for me, UCL's ourse would be 90:10 academic to employment targeted, where as Manchester's is 60:40 respectively, which is much better I think because they have so many links with the petroleum industry they know what they want, whereas UCL are experts in hazards ect it's a lot different.

if you've got an offer that means that they feel like you can survive, there are lots of people that have high grades but either didn't apply to UCL because they want to get out of London or just want to go to Manchester, defo just pick the one you like more, so if that's UCL firm it.

Bristol is going to be my insurance, the grades for Manchester and Bristol are the same.

I've made up my mind but I'm going to have a chat with my sixth form's administrator, she's the best lol
Reply 1045
I'm so happy, I received an email from Manchester saying that they have reviewed my ucas form and I have a conditional offer to study Law!!! :smile:
Original post by Jody101
I'm so happy, I received an email from Manchester saying that they have reviewed my ucas form and I have a conditional offer to study Law!!! :smile:

Congrats mate!
Reply 1047
Original post by TheAlchemistt
Congrats mate!

Thank you!!! :smile:
Received an unconditional offer to read History and Italian. I must say, I do not envy those of you have to work towards grades to fulfill your offers, very stressful stuff. All I have to do is forward proof of my qualifications. Ha!
Will anyone be going to the Law Offer Holders' Day? I'm keen to go, but as Manchester is something like 5 hours away, I can't afford to take a day off school...
Original post by ZombifiedPuppy
Will anyone be going to the Law Offer Holders' Day? I'm keen to go, but as Manchester is something like 5 hours away, I can't afford to take a day off school...

Have you spoken to your teachers? They'd probably be happy to help you catch up if need be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
Have you spoken to your teachers? They'd probably be happy to help you catch up if need be

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to my form tutor. She said she'd be happy to let me off if I'm firming Manchester, but seeing that I'm not, she doesn't want me to go. :/
Original post by ZombifiedPuppy
Just to my form tutor. She said she'd be happy to let me off if I'm firming Manchester, but seeing that I'm not, she doesn't want me to go. :/

Is Manchester going to be your insurance choice? If it is, I'd try and get there. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got an interview for computer science soon (through Skype, since I'm an international student). Anyone knows what to expect?
Original post by badbodydouble
Is Manchester going to be your insurance choice? If it is, I'd try and get there. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I will be insurance-ing either Manchester or Exeter. :/ it's not wise to choose before visiting is it?
Original post by gerdkanter
Got an interview for computer science soon (through Skype, since I'm an international student). Anyone knows what to expect?

Damnn thats just bad luck, they skipped the interview and sent me a direct offer and I am an international student as well :P
Good luck, though! :smile:
maybe it could be a good idea if someone made a facebook group for manchester 2014 applicants?
Reply 1057
Original post by rubberduck5
maybe it could be a good idea if someone made a facebook group for manchester 2014 applicants?

Yes yes! Should I start it?
Reply 1058
I just started a group :smile: feel free to add yourself
"University of Manchester freshers 2014-2015"

EDIT: I deleted it, don't wanna be the admin
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi guys,

Just to let you know, there's a new google map of things that are of interest to Manchester students. Not exhaustive, but if any current students think I've missed anything do let me know :smile:

http://goo.gl/maps/YwRla

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending