Do you ever feel truly ready to take your driving test?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Emma-xo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have been learning to drive for 7 months now and have had around 50 hours of lessons with at least 15 hours of private practice in my own car. At 50 hours my instructor had still not even taught me a bay park and with the persuasion of my family I booked a 2 hour driving assessment with pass and go. I spent 2 hours out in the car tonight with my new pass and go instructor and she gave me very little instruction just basic directions and a reminder to check my blind spot, she made me perform the manoeuvers I had already done and I successfully completed them all. She then took me to ASDA car park and taught me the bay park which I managed no bother. At the end of the assessment she told me she thought I needed a little work on my gears and my parallel park but she said I only needed a maximum of 10 hours to brush up. She advised me to book my test for Feb 17th and block book 10 hours to brush up which is what I plan on doing. My question is do you ever feel ready to take your test? Even after being told by my parents and my instructor that I am test ready I find it hard to believe I just think I will fail my first time and I cant seem to get the confidence. I am really going to go for it this time I hope but I just feel so scared. Anyone feel the same way?
username47781
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Moved to learning to drive
Emma-xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rock Fan)
Moved to learning to drive
Thanks
MJ1012
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's a difference in not being ready and not being 100% confident you'll pass.

Passing is never a guarantee a bit of bad luck is all you need. If you hope to be fullyconfident you will pass, you'll probably be learning for years
Emma-xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by MJ1012)
There's a difference in not being ready and not being 100% confident you'll pass.

Passing is never a guarantee a bit of bad luck is all you need. If you hope to be fullyconfident you will pass, you'll probably be learning for years
Thanks I think I probably just need to listen to everyone and go for it! I just hope my nerves don't mess me up. I was really confident and ready for my test in December tbh but once I mentioned my test to my instructor he became pretty mean, I'm guessing he didn't want to lose my £££, he would be overly critical and on my very last lesson he made me cry. I made tons of 'mistakes' in my lessons with him and started to dread getting into the car.

My new instructor tonight though just let me get on with it and my confidence already feel a little boosted. Hopefully my 10 hours with her will have me feeling more positive about my test!
laura0701
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Emma-xo)
I have been learning to drive for 7 months now and have had around 50 hours of lessons with at least 15 hours of private practice in my own car. At 50 hours my instructor had still not even taught me a bay park and with the persuasion of my family I booked a 2 hour driving assessment with pass and go. I spent 2 hours out in the car tonight with my new pass and go instructor and she gave me very little instruction just basic directions and a reminder to check my blind spot, she made me perform the manoeuvers I had already done and I successfully completed them all. She then took me to ASDA car park and taught me the bay park which I managed no bother. At the end of the assessment she told me she thought I needed a little work on my gears and my parallel park but she said I only needed a maximum of 10 hours to brush up. She advised me to book my test for Feb 17th and block book 10 hours to brush up which is what I plan on doing. My question is do you ever feel ready to take your test? Even after being told by my parents and my instructor that I am test ready I find it hard to believe I just think I will fail my first time and I cant seem to get the confidence. I am really going to go for it this time I hope but I just feel so scared. Anyone feel the same way?
I didn't feel ready and wasn't confident about passing at all and I felt much the same as you, but I got it booked, tried to block all the negative thoughts out of my head and passed first time. Your instructor seems to have confidence in your ability, so all I can say is try to stop the negative mindset (easier said than done, I know) and just go for it.
cinderella25
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm glad you changed your instructor he only wanted to take your money!

Talking by experience the best instructor is he that lets you drive without talking too much and teaches you everything in few lessons. Those that take their time want your money.

Don't worry about the driving test. You just have to take it like any other driving lesson and think of your instructor as a human navigation.

Its not the end of the world if you don't pass first time, you will eventually pass it anyway and just take the test as a good experience.

And no you will never feel ready for a driving test or any test for the sake of argument. Just feel confident and enjoy the drive. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emma-xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by cinderella25)
I'm glad you changed your instructor he only wanted to take your money!

Talking by experience the best instructor is he that lets you drive without talking too much and teaches you everything in few lessons. Those that take their time want your money.

Don't worry about the driving test. You just have to take it like any other driving lesson and think of your instructor as a human navigation.

Its not the end of the world if you don't pass first time, you will eventually pass it anyway and just take the test as a good experience.

And no you will never feel ready for a driving test or any test for the sake of argument. Just feel confident and enjoy the drive. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much I definitely agree he was just after my money! You've made me feel a little better, I have decided to book it for about 3 weeks time so I can brush up a little on some stuff but I will go for it and just see what happens
cinderella25
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you so much I definitely agree he was just after my money! You've made me feel a little better, I have decided to book it for about 3 weeks time so I can brush up a little on some stuff but I will go for it and just see what happens
I'm glad I could help you!

so how did it go?
Emma-xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by cinderella25)
I'm glad I could help you!

so how did it go?
I've failed twice since I wrote this first time I got a dangerous and serious fault and second time I got a serious fault for my speed! I have another test in 12 days so fingers crossed!!!
cinderella25
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've failed twice since I wrote this first time I got a dangerous and serious fault and second time I got a serious fault for my speed! I have another test in 12 days so fingers crossed!!!
Don't worry I didn't pass the first time either. At least you are improving. Just remember to stay calm and focused on the test. Its only 45 minutes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
User1102
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For people regarding driving test:

I learned to drive with BSM and personally, I have found that they teach you at a higher standard in comparison to most driving instructors.

I didn't have a vehicle to practice with and I was having lessons every so often from about end of March to December. I definitely think it has a lot to do with your instructor as well because my lessons were very much not mock tests but especially towards the time of my test I was being challenged a lot which was great.

I felt more than ready for my test as I felt like I could not have done anything else more to prepare even though I didn't have my own vehicle. I took it at the St Albans route as well btw.

FOR THE TEST:

The show me tell me questions were easy I asked my driving instructor about them about a week before the test and we looked under the bonnet quickly. But I can't stress how good youtube videos are for this as they are particularly good for visual learners such as a myself and you can test yourself easier. Don't fret- if you get them both wrong, the worst they can give you is one minor.

You need to check around you and your blind spots a lot, take your time and always check like in your side mirrors before you turn at a junction e.g. if turning right check for overtaking vehicles in side mirror. I know it sounds obvious but they are really critical on this and I have had multiple friends in sixth form failing on this. This may have been too geeky of me but I watched a few mock tests on youtube to see where people overall lost the most marks and reasons for failing.

I was nervous when I met the examiner but a little conversation when you get going can really help with your nerves, and hopefully like me you will just feel them go when you get driving. Oh and also I drove about 2 or 3 mph under the speed limit cause I have a habit to go very slightly over the speed limit when I am not fully concentrating (like 33/34 in 30mph zone) which can fail you so take care.

Just think- one 45 min test and you can drive for all these years to come! I know it sounds weird, but you could see it as exciting as it can give you so many opportunities after.

I passed with no minors first time, but I know people who have had to take it FIVE times to pass so don't worry.
CeeDixon
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hiiiii! I'm in exactly the same position as you! I've done just over 40 hours of driving and my test is booked soon but I still feel like there's parts of my driving that could be sorted out! But then I think that if my tutor didn't think I was ready then she wouldn't have told me to book my test when she did. So be confident in yourself, try your best, and remember that there's always plenty more chances to take your test, not just the one! Even though it is easier to pass first time :P you'll be fine, and you will be ready!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You'll always feel nervous and apprehensive going into your driving test, so you'll never truly feel ready. As long as you have the self belief that you're capable of passing though, that's the main thing (as well as actually having the ability, obviously).
Fred the first
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Back in the day, BSM was dominant in the world of teaching, but since the internet, you will find most instructors have set up on their own.This statement at the start of this post suggesting that BSM teach at a 'higher standard in comparison to most driving instructors,' is not only misleading but untrue. All instructors are examined to the same standards by the DVSA, this is a government body and also test every 4 to 5 years the standard of each driving instructor regardless of who they work for, the company has no bearing on their standard. Most driving instructors do not work for BSM, I personally have been a driving instructor for 14 years and have the top grade possible, which means I'm in the top 6% of instructors in the country, I have never worked for BSM in that time.I would suggest that most top instructors work for their own company and don't need the power base that lesser graded instructors need to attempt to get pupils.There maybe some top instructor that work for BSM, but in the main statistically most top instructors don't.That is not to say BSM does not try their best, but at the end of the day, I would suggest that a good or great instructor is one that connects with their pupil on their level and gets the message a cross effectively. Ask your instructor to PROVE their level of the DVSA standards check, they get a certificate, then research the level your instructor is to get an official level of their tuition. Good Luck.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (96)
28.24%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.12%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (34)
10%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.71%

Watched Threads