The Student Room Group

I didn't get chosen for Top Set science for GCSE groups..

I didn't get chosen, so im in second set or if you'd like to call it Additional 1*...
Now I only get to do double science however I REALLY need triple science for the career path i'd like, also, what would universities think if i only applied with Double science? Please give me advice p.s- this is my first post... hope it's okay:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maxy25
I didn't get chosen, so im in second set or if you'd like to call it Additional 1*...
Now I only get to do double science however I REALLY need triple science for the career path i'd like, also, what would universities think if i only applied with Double science? Please give me advice p.s- this is my first post... hope it's okay:smile:

Even if you can't do Triple Science at GCSE, provided you do well in Double Science you should be able do the sciences at A-level too if you wanted, just you may have some extra catching up to do for the topics you miss. Really it is very easy to do one or more Science A-level without having done Triple Science at GCSE, indeed many people I know have done so, just as long as you're prepared to work hard. To universities, your A-level subjects are much more important than GCSEs.
Reply 2
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
Even if you can't do Triple Science at GCSE, provided you do well in Double Science you should be able do the sciences at A-level too if you wanted, just you may have some extra catching up to do for the topics you miss. Really it is very easy to do one or more Science A-level without having done Triple Science at GCSE, indeed many people I know have done so, just as long as you're prepared to work hard. To universities, your A-level subjects are much more important than GCSEs.

Thankyousooomuch:smile:
This is really helpful.. I am VERY willing to work hard to get there.. this means ALOT to me!! .. Any advice on how i can do well to revise etc?? ... We only got chosen for the sets today.. however i have a test in a few weeks time to see who might have to move up if they are good:smile: Thanks:smile:
You'll be doing the same stuff as them for the first year anyway so just try hard in lessons and for tests and you'll get moved up if you do well enough.
Original post by maxy25

It's not brilliant but it's not the end of the world. I don't know about other schools, but my school has the entry requirement for A Level sciences of an A in that science if you take triple, or AA if you take double. I believe most of other sixth forms have similar-ish requirements. So it's still completely possible to take A Level sciences (as long as you do great at GCSE and work hard) and as long as your A Level grades are good, Universities will be fine with GCSE double science.

Your performance in Year 9 will not dictate the rest of your life!
Original post by maxy25

can't you complain and persuade the school to let you take triple science?
Reply 6
Original post by CallumS343
You'll be doing the same stuff as them for the first year anyway so just try hard in lessons and for tests and you'll get moved up if you do well enough.

Thankyou, I'm predicted an A anyway, I got a better score than half of the top set anyway:L So im not sureeeeee aghhh
Reply 7
Original post by Chlorophile
It's not brilliant but it's not the end of the world. I don't know about other schools, but my school has the entry requirement for A Level sciences of an A in that science if you take triple, or AA if you take double. I believe most of other sixth forms have similar-ish requirements. So it's still completely possible to take A Level sciences (as long as you do great at GCSE and work hard) and as long as your A Level grades are good, Universities will be fine with GCSE double science.

Your performance in Year 9 will not dictate the rest of your life!

Thankyou, I agree with you:3 ... Thanks for the help and advice, I also would like to say that I will try hard to get the best I can!!!!!
Original post by maxy25
Thankyou, I agree with you:3 ... Thanks for the help and advice, I also would like to say that I will try hard to get the best I can!!!!!

Best of luck! Enough enthusiasm and passion will take you anywhere.
Reply 9
Original post by ThoughtIsFree
can't you complain and persuade the school to let you take triple science?

Hiya, I will try as they said I'm a hopeful student for my grades and a great addition to the school so I hope they'll take all things into consideration!!:smile: Thasnksss!!
Reply 10
Best of luck! Enough enthusiasm and passion will take you anywhere.

Thankyou so much!!! I will try my hardest and I will report back :wink:
Original post by maxy25
Thankyou so much!!! I will try my hardest and I will report back :wink:

If I don't get a message in August 2016 I will be very upset.
Reply 12
If I don't get a message in August 2016 I will be very upset.

Haha, I will keep it in my notes :wink:
Hm. This reminds me that I was 'cast away' in my year's second set maths group from year 8 to year 9. I still went on and got the fourth best set of GCSEs in my school.

I wouldn't panic, just go for top grades in what you can do and I'm sure you'll be fine.
I remember when I was doing GCSE, I hated everything about education. I saw it as a waste of time. I look back thinking how retarded I was. Double/Triple it doesn't matter when applying to universities tbh, you'll be able to still do the Science A-Levels. Your passion is admirable.
Reply 15
Original post by Pro Crastination
Hm. This reminds me that I was 'cast away' in my year's second set maths group from year 8 to year 9. I still went on and got the fourth best set of GCSEs in my school.

I wouldn't panic, just go for top grades in what you can do and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thank-You-Very-Much!
Ohhh god, same with me and science/english-.- ... Annoying huh? ...
I know, the brightest star may take a while to be found:3 ..
I will aim for the highest!!:biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I remember when I was doing GCSE, I hated everything about education. I saw it as a waste of time. I look back thinking how retarded I was. Double/Triple it doesn't matter when applying to universities tbh, you'll be able to still do the Science A-Levels. Your passion is admirable.

Thanks!!:biggrin: ... I will try my best!:smile: ..
Well, that's what I think; do the best at A-Level aswell!:smile:
I think you need to fight your school to do triple tbh. I'm in triple atm, and I tried to drop it and go to double science, but since I want to do bio+chem at a-level, my teacher's won't as they say the students they have who did double science are finding it hard to grasp some of the concepts because they haven't seen it before? So I would say, try to get into triple otherwise science is much harder. However, maybe it's just my school idk.
Reply 18
Original post by stephanieuwa
I think you need to fight your school to do triple tbh. I'm in triple atm, and I tried to drop it and go to double science, but since I want to do bio+chem at a-level, my teacher's won't as they say the students they have who did double science are finding it hard to grasp some of the concepts because they haven't seen it before? So I would say, try to get into triple otherwise science is much harder. However, maybe it's just my school idk.

Thankyou!... You're year 9/10?? ...
I will try to get to triple if possible!!! :biggrin:
Original post by maxy25
Thankyou!... You're year 9/10?? ...
I will try to get to triple if possible!!! :biggrin:

I'm in Year 11

Quick Reply

Latest