The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flugelr
How is joining the Euro any better than sharing the Pound?

In my view none of the options being presented - Pound, Euro or independent currency - would actually give Scotland independence.

As far as currency is concerned, by far the best option for Scotland is to remain within the UK and continue using the Pound.

Using the euro would be better than using the pound because the rates would be set by an institution which Scotland was part of (The EU) as opposed to an institution of a foreign country (Bank of England)
Original post by FredOrJohn
Well just make sure you take into account that taking the big foreign currency industries out of the pound area (oil, fish, whiskey) could easily cause a run on the pound... The whole thing sounds well dodgy to me. Way better to go for an even more federal uk by promoting how successful devolution has been to places like Manchester, Birmingham and Newcastle.
Thus creating a Federal UK on the lines of Germany or Australia

I am actually in favour of Federalism. It just doesn't seem to be on the political agenda atm.

I am actually in favor of a Federal Europe as well to a certain extent but that is more to do with a dream I have of living in a world with less boundaries around it but I guess that is another issue.
Original post by King Kebab
I am actually in favour of Federalism. It just doesn't seem to be on the political agenda atm.

I am actually in favor of a Federal Europe as well to a certain extent but that is more to do with a dream I have of living in a world with less boundaries around it but I guess that is another issue.

From what I understand its much more popular in the English regions now then when John Prescott first pushed the boat out. I guess everything is in wait state until after the referendum.
No - not at all. Its just a point of interest that a Scottish voter should take into account. Will voting yes make my neighbours poorer (stuff like destabilizing pound)?

There's an awful lot of stakeholders involved, but the SNP wanted this as a purely scottish matter which is what they've got
From what I understand its much more popular in the English regions now then when John Prescott first pushed the boat out. I guess everything is in wait state until after the referendum.

True,

I think I read a while ago that the Scottish Liberal Democrats are in favor of Federalism but I could be wrong.

It does make me wonder what exactly devo max would be as I interpret it as being something like Scotland being a member of a wider Federal state. So I'm not 100% what the difference between them would be.
Using the euro would be better than using the pound because the rates would be set by an institution which Scotland was part of (The EU) as opposed to an institution of a foreign country (Bank of England)

The BoE isn't an institution of a foreign country so long as Scotland is part of the UK. It would, however, become a foreign instituion if we go independent.

Furthermore, I'd question how much influence Scotland would have over the ECB and how that would be preferable to the situation in the UK.
My parents moved to London a long time ago. They don't have a pension - just the house. The plan was to move back to Scotland when they retire, using the house as a pension.

If separation happens perhaps millions of Anglo-Scots will be in a pension black hole if two separate currencies.

if UK pound falls due to loss of foreign currency earning oil whiskey etc, and Scots-Pound rises (due to surplus of foreign currency) millions of Anglo-Scots working in London will never be able to go home . We'll all be stuck here.
Original post by flugelr
The BoE isn't an institution of a foreign country so long as Scotland is part of the UK. It would, however, become a foreign instituion if we go independent.

Furthermore, I'd question how much influence Scotland would have over the ECB and how that would be preferable to the situation in the UK.

I never said the bank of England was an institution of a foreign country atm.

I said in the event of Scottish independence it is crazy to use the pound which has rates set by a country Scotland has no say in.

I said in the event of Scottish independence it is crazy to use the pound which has rates set by a country Scotland has no say in.

Apologies, I misunderstood what you were saying.

However, my second point stands. How much will the ECB be influenced by Scotland compared to how much the BoE is influenced by Scotland?
Scotlands population is 8.5% of the total UK population. It contributes 9.9% of UK tax revenues yet only receives back 8.9% in spending. So yes it does get more than it should, but it also contributes more than it should.
Original post by flugelr
Apologies, I misunderstood what you were saying.

However, my second point stands. How much will the ECB be influenced by Scotland compared to how much the BoE is influenced by Scotland?

It's okay, I never seen you're second point

It's not that Scotland would have much influence if they joined the euro, they wouldn't have much. They would however have more say if they were in the euro than the pound as they would be part of the EU in the event of Independence and not part of the old UK (where they would now have absolutely no say at all)
It's okay, I never seen you're second point

It's not that Scotland would have much influence if they joined the euro, they wouldn't have much. They would however have more say if they were in the euro than the pound as they would be part of the EU in the event of Independence and not part of the old UK (where they would now have absolutely no say at all)

How does Scotland have absolutely no say at the moment?

The BoE sets it's policies after looking at the UK as a whole. Scotland and the Scottish economy must therefore influence UK monetary policy.

In the EU we would be just another voice. We already know that ECB policy is heavily directed by the needs of the Euro's largest economies.
Original post by flugelr
How does Scotland have absolutely no say at the moment?

The BoE sets it's policies after looking at the UK as a whole. Scotland and the Scottish economy must therefore influence UK monetary policy.

In the EU we would be just another voice. We already know that ECB policy is heavily directed by the needs of the Euro's largest economies.

Again, I didn't say Scotland has no say atm.

I say Scotland would have absolutely no say in the result of an independent Scotland.

I covered that. I said Scotland would have little say but some say at least. An independent Scotland would have no say in determining rates if they kept the pound.
Again, I didn't say Scotland has no say atm.

I say Scotland would have absolutely no say in the result of an independent Scotland.

I covered that. I said Scotland would have little say but some say at least. An independent Scotland would have no say in determining rates if they kept the pound.

Ok, allow me to rephrase the question.

If Scotland becomes independent, how would any of the options available (Pound sharing, Euro or independent currency) be preferable to the current situation?
Original post by flugelr
Ok, allow me to rephrase the question.

If Scotland becomes independent, how would any of the options available (Pound sharing, Euro or independent currency) be preferable to the current situation?

Independent currency would be my first choice

Euro would be my second choice

Keeping the pound is crazy so would be third on that list.
Original post by toejoeson
Scotlands population is 8.5% of the total UK population. It contributes 9.9% of UK tax revenues yet only receives back 8.9% in spending. So yes it does get more than it should, but it also contributes more than it should.

Look at absolute numbers rather than percentages and you find Scotland gets more than it puts in. The deficit per head is roughly the extra money it receives thanks to the Barnett formula.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So why are the SNP so keen on it? Surely it's admitting that the status quo is better for Scotland than full independence?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is this an attack on me or a general point?

A general point. I think the SNP should have removal of the monarchy fairly high on their list-it cannot profess to have a fair society with the ultimate symbol of elitism still at the top.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Possibly.

Are you suggesting that that English people should also have a vote on the issue as it may affect them too?

Not just English, but RUK citizens-however I would disagree. This is a referendum on whether Scotland wants to leave, not whether the UK wants to keep it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
So why are the SNP so keen on it? Surely it's admitting that the status quo is better for Scotland than full independence?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No idea. I have already said multiple times on this thread that I have huge problems with the SNP, this idea being one of them.

Not necessarily, it could be a populist move by the SNP to make people not worry about joining the euro which most people are against as far as I know of.

Although, I don't know why they don't talk about a new Scottish currency, it is weird.

Latest

Trending

Trending