The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Midlander
A general point. I think the SNP should have removal of the monarchy fairly high on their list-it cannot profess to have a fair society with the ultimate symbol of elitism still at the top.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough. I thought it was a general point (was just checking to make sure) and one that I fully agree with as a staunch Republican.
Not just English, but RUK citizens-however I would disagree. This is a referendum on whether Scotland wants to leave, not whether the UK wants to keep it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'd agree with that too.
Original post by King Kebab
Kl, I thought that was the point you were making just making sure I didn't misinterpret you.

My answer is, I simply do not know whether England would be worse off because of separation from Scotland. I am not an economist. I try to focus on other aspects of the debate but I do think the economic side of things will be the main factor in how most people vote on the issue.

What I do think, and without trying to judge people who are English who oppose Scottish Independence is that some of them believe Scottish people believe English people are "idiots". While it is true you will get a few of the braveheart brigade, the vast majority of people who support Scottish independence support it for different reasons and challenge the braveheart brigade for spouting their "England are oppressing us" drivel.

I have lived in Scotland for coming on 5 years and have always felt a bit like the pantomime villain for being English. Whilst lunatic Wallace impersonators are generally rare, there is an unpleasant habit Scots have of stereotyping English folk as arrogant/Conservative/less socially aware and so on.

Such comments have reared their heads on this thread more than once which is why I can't help but think there is an Anglophobic edge to the Yes campaign. RUK is equated to England, and frequently London, far too often than would be the case otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough. I thought it was a general point (was just checking to make sure) and one that I fully agree with as a staunch Republican.

If the SNP put removal of the monarchy in their white paper I would be very tempted to vote Yes. As it is, they seem to be making promises across the board to garner votes, and it weakens their cause to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have lived in Scotland for coming on 5 years and have always felt a bit like the pantomime villain for being English. Whilst lunatic Wallace impersonators are generally rare, there is an unpleasant habit Scots have of stereotyping English folk as arrogant/Conservative/less socially aware and so on.

Such comments have reared their heads on this thread more than once which is why I can't help but think there is an Anglophobic edge to the Yes campaign. RUK is equated to England, and frequently London, far too often than would be the case otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I study in Dundee with a lot of English people on my course and at my uni and the other university in the city and have never seen any of it. A few of them are very good friends of mine and have never said anything to me about it.

I have no doubt there are some Scottish people with unhealthy attitudes about English people but the vast majority of them don't from what I can see,

There is definitely an illiberal and sometimes insulting edge based on negativity for the union rather than being positive for independence being peddled by the SNP which is wrong. That I agree with. The SNP do not represent the views of everyone who supports the Yes campaign.
If the SNP put removal of the monarchy in their white paper I would be very tempted to vote Yes. As it is, they seem to be making promises across the board to garner votes, and it weakens their cause to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, there is an element of that. I think it's that there trying not to rock the boat to much so don't talk about the issue of the monarchy just in case it annoys the supporters of independence who are staunch monarchists. It is a tactical move by them I think which annoys me.
Reply 5706
Bad for GB's Olympic hopes...
I study in Dundee with a lot of English people on my course and at my uni and the other university in the city and have never seen any of it. A few of them are very good friends of mine and have never said anything to me about it.

I have no doubt there are some Scottish people with unhealthy attitudes about English people but the vast majority of them don't from what I can see,

There is definitely an illiberal and sometimes insulting edge based on negativity for the union rather than being positive for independence being peddled by the SNP which is wrong. That I agree with. The SNP do not represent the views of everyone who supports the Yes campaign.

I study just across the Tay in St Andrews and have had very different experiences-though Dundee does have a friendly reputation in general and I've never had a bad time there. Fife is a different kettle of fish I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Independent currency would be my first choice

Euro would be my second choice

Keeping the pound is crazy so would be third on that list.

But how are any of those options better than the current situation?
True,

I think I read a while ago that the Scottish Liberal Democrats are in favor of Federalism but I could be wrong.

It does make me wonder what exactly devo max would be as I interpret it as being something like Scotland being a member of a wider Federal state. So I'm not 100% what the difference between them would be.

Federalism, devo max, regionalism etc meeds buy in from all regions.
...though Dundee does have a friendly reputation

The Children's comic produced there - The Beano - does seem to go in for homophobia (walter the softie is given a very hard time which i think is quite bad for children to read).
Reply 5711
Original post by flugelr

Depends how you define 'better'.

If it being 'ours' makes an independent currency 'better' then there is your answer :P
Original post by FredOrJohn
The Children's comic produced there - The Beano - does seem to go in for homophobia (walter the softie is given a very hard time which i think is quite bad for children to read).

I never got that impression from it. I've been making trips to Dundee for years with no trouble-behind Inverness it's one of my favourite places in Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I never got that impression from it. I've been making trips to Dundee for years with no trouble-behind Inverness it's one of my favourite places in Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loads of pictures by Turner done around that area. I think Winston Churchill was the MP for Dundee for a while but he was run out of town by their local press baron
Original post by Quady
Depends how you define 'better'.

If it being 'ours' makes an independent currency 'better' then there is your answer :P

A brand new currency being used by a small country bordering two of the most economically powerful areas in the world - the UK (GBP) and the Eurozone (Euro) - will be independent in name only.
Original post by flugelr

Self determination

An economy more evenly spread (throughout Scotland) I hope rather than an economy based on the city of London

I feel being a smaller country would mean less intervention in foreign wars

That's three quick reasons which I think would be an advantage to Scotland
Self determination

An economy more evenly spread (throughout Scotland) I hope rather than an economy based on the city of London

Except it wouldn't be more evenly spread. Wealth is concentrated primarily in Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow and Scotland's sparse geography means it will be hard to redress the balance regardless of government.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FredOrJohn

Rubbish! The only homophobes are the people who think someone is gay just because they have feminine character traits.

The PC police love to ruin things. Might as well ban the whole comic since it encourages kids to play tricks on their parents and misbehave. While we are at it we should change fat boab from oor wullie to "big boab" because it is not nice to call people fat.
Except it wouldn't be more evenly spread. Wealth is concentrated primarily in Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow and Scotland's sparse geography means it will be hard to redress the balance regardless of government.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it would be more easily spread than it currently is in an independent Scotland. Tourism in the North. There is a lot of wealth from farmland as well in the borders area too.
Self determination

There's a reason why London is so economically vibrant and its bit because the givernment spends more on it. Its more geographical.

https://www.sussex.ac.uk/webteam/gateway/file.php?name=mdgraham.pdf&site=2

In fact, a yes vote is more likely to screw our economy over.

Less involvement in foreign wars. You may wish to see where countries like Norway and Denmark have been operating recently. Both were active in Iraq. Both are currently in Afghanistan and both were involved in air strikes in Libya. Lets not forget the involvement of Ireland and I even ad and Sweden in those 'foreign wars'. Neither should we forget it was a Scottish PM and his Scottish Chancellor that got us involved in two of the bigger ones. So I'm a little confused as to how that wouldn't happen.

We already self determine. We self determined ten percent of our MPs at Westminster from the SNP.

Latest

Trending

Trending