The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster's major/minor system

I've received an offer from Lancaster to study English Literature and it looks like I'm going to make it my firm choice. However, before I pick it there are just a couple of things I don't understand about majors and minors.

Can I pick pretty much any minor? And can I then make that my major in the second year? For example, if I took up BSc Accounting and Finance (which is completely unrelated to the course I applied for) could I then make that my major in year 2?

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times before, I did search the forum but couldn't find anything that answered my questions!
Original post by farmflyblues
I've received an offer from Lancaster to study English Literature and it looks like I'm going to make it my firm choice. However, before I pick it there are just a couple of things I don't understand about majors and minors.

Can I pick pretty much any minor? And can I then make that my major in the second year? For example, if I took up BSc Accounting and Finance (which is completely unrelated to the course I applied for) could I then make that my major in year 2?

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times before, I did search the forum but couldn't find anything that answered my questions!

You can pick anything as a minor, as long as you meet the requirements before (e.g. you can't take maths without A level maths) and as long as the module isn't exclusive (i.e. only for students studying that subject as a major).

You could take BSc Accounting & Finance as a module and make it your major in Years 2 and 3, not just Year 2. This normally requires you to achieve a certain percentage in your first year, about 60%, in it as well. You will also need to complete all part 1 options for that course, so if there are 2 modules in the first year, you will have to take both modules. If you do all of this, then you will graduate with a BSc Accounting and Finance degree (and/with English Language if you choose to carry it on as a minor).
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by MalteseMalteser
You can pick anything as a minor, as long as you meet the requirements before (e.g. you can't take maths without A level maths) and as long as the module isn't exclusive (i.e. only for students studying that subject as a major).

You could take BSc Accounting & Finance as a module and make it your major in Years 2 and 3, not just Year 2. This normally requires you to achieve a certain percentage in your first year, about 60%, in it as well. You will also need to complete all part 1 options for that course, so if there are 2 modules in the first year, you will have to take both modules. If you do all of this, then you will graduate with a BSc Accounting and Finance degree (and/with English Language if you choose to carry it on as a minor).

Ah, thank you! That seems really useful, I can study English while having something with better prospects to fall back on.

Do you have to pass all 3 modules to carry on to year 2, or just the ones that you choose to major in?
Ah, thank you! That seems really useful, I can study English while having something with better prospects to fall back on.

Do you have to pass all 3 modules to carry on to year 2, or just the ones that you choose to major in?

Yeah, although just be sure to check out the requirements on the website, as sometimes the Management school modules are specifically for management school students (like my ECON103 module).

I am pretty sure you have to pass all 3 modules to carry on to year 2, as otherwise you've failed first year and you'd probably have to retake the year in order to be allowed to progress (I'm only a first year here, but this would make sense to me)
Reply 4
Yeah, although just be sure to check out the requirements on the website, as sometimes the Management school modules are specifically for management school students (like my ECON103 module).

I am pretty sure you have to pass all 3 modules to carry on to year 2, as otherwise you've failed first year and you'd probably have to retake the year in order to be allowed to progress (I'm only a first year here, but this would make sense to me)

So without ECON103, you couldn't major in economics?

By the way, I've seen you around on all the other Lancaster threads and you've been really helpful. Thanks for making it easier to choose my firm!
So without ECON103, you couldn't major in economics?

By the way, I've seen you around on all the other Lancaster threads and you've been really helpful. Thanks for making it easier to choose my firm!

Yeah, because the part 1 economics comprises of ECON100 and ECON103, so if I passed one and failed the other, technically I've failed the first year. The same would go for if I passed both but failed MKTG100 (my only optional module).

Haha it's alright! It was the guys on the 2013 applicants thread that helped me make my decision to firm it so I thought "why not give it back?" since I am loving it here and don't regret anything (well...there are some dodgy nights out that have ended messily, but oh well!)

As I say to the guys on the 2014 applicants thread, any questions you have about absolutely anything, from the city to the campus, to certain modules or courses, feel free to PM me or to quote me and I'll happily answer honestly! :smile:

p.s. the Part 1 Accounting and Finance is very competitive, normally all optional spaces for the module are signed up for before students even arrive! so when you get the email to apply, apply as soon as possible otherwise you'll miss out! (like me) :smile:
Reply 6
Yeah, because the part 1 economics comprises of ECON100 and ECON103, so if I passed one and failed the other, technically I've failed the first year. The same would go for if I passed both but failed MKTG100 (my only optional module).

Haha it's alright! It was the guys on the 2013 applicants thread that helped me make my decision to firm it so I thought "why not give it back?" since I am loving it here and don't regret anything (well...there are some dodgy nights out that have ended messily, but oh well!)

As I say to the guys on the 2014 applicants thread, any questions you have about absolutely anything, from the city to the campus, to certain modules or courses, feel free to PM me or to quote me and I'll happily answer honestly! :smile:

p.s. the Part 1 Accounting and Finance is very competitive, normally all optional spaces for the module are signed up for before students even arrive! so when you get the email to apply, apply as soon as possible otherwise you'll miss out! (like me) :smile:

Haha, well it's been really helpful for me! I still haven't visited the campus, but I'll hopefully be coming up next week to get a feel for the place. :smile:

When is that email usually sent? After results day?
Haha, well it's been really helpful for me! I still haven't visited the campus, but I'll hopefully be coming up next week to get a feel for the place. :smile:

When is that email usually sent? After results day?

It's a really nice town - bigger than the one I've got back home but not too big. It's good to wander around it after the open day, maybe grab a costa coffee or something. Could even go for a nice meal at Bella Italia. I'm sure I'll be milling around that day, possibly helping out in the Management school or if not then just chilling back in my room doing nothing, so if you wanted a tour guide.... :smile: (I joke, you probably don't want me around...)

Yeah it's normally after results day and after they've sent your accommodation offer through (a couple of days after results day, depending on which college you are in). After that, they'll send more emails with bits and pieces for registration, and the optional module sign-up will be part of one of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending