The Student Room Group

Higher Latin 2013-2014

No one seemed to have created a thread, so I thought I would!

I'm doing the Higher exam this year. I didn't sit the Intermediate 2/SG exam last year, but did study Latin for a couple of months.

I've currently just finished the Ecce Romani textbooks.

How is everyone finding the course so far?
Hey man !

I'm doing the course, my favourite subject by far, Latin is ****ing beast !

We've just started the Latin in both Virgil and Cicero, what texts are you doing ?
Original post by Bromaldehyde
Hey man !

I'm doing the course, my favourite subject by far, Latin is ****ing beast !

We've just started the Latin in both Virgil and Cicero, what texts are you doing ?

I'm doing the same as you, and we're about to start them next week. The interpretation part of the paper seems to be the hardest from what I've seen. My translations have gone pretty well so far.

Did you use Ecce Romani? I just finished that and am going on to the 'Latin Language Handbook'
Hi all!

Im doing Virgil and Cicero, has anyone got any revision tips etc?
Would anyone be able to tell me if Latin or Classical Studies is better, especially for crashing. Also, could Higher Latin be crashed with no prior knowledge?

Thanks guys
Original post by AspiringMedic8
Would anyone be able to tell me if Latin or Classical Studies is better, especially for crashing. Also, could Higher Latin be crashed with no prior knowledge?

Thanks guys

Latin is probably much more interesting , I really love it. Classics is more commonly crashed though...

You could do it, but I would maybe suggest going over Standard Grade in the summer, just to familiarise yourself with the language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bromaldehyde
Latin is probably much more interesting , I really love it. Classics is more commonly crashed though...

You could do it, but I would maybe suggest going over Standard Grade in the summer, just to familiarise yourself with the language.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What does the exam actually consist of? Of course section B is easily comprehendible, but I don't understand how section A relates to Latin. Are the texts in Latin?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AspiringMedic8
What does the exam actually consist of? Of course section B is easily comprehendible, but I don't understand how section A relates to Latin. Are the texts in Latin?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry about the late reply,

Basically paper 1 testing your knowledge of prescribed texts. The majority of classtime in fifth year is spent translating it, then you learn the English at home, and you get given only Latin in the exam.

Section B is relatively easy, but if you're wanting to get say, higher than 40/50, you will need to know your grammar pretty well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending