The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2420
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Would be glad to hear result of that convo :yy: I think the one slight issue is the gensis chat about a man leaving his family to be with a woman etc. though and would be interested if you could ask him about that in relation to homosexuality?

I'll keep you updated :smile: Could you explain what you mean by that?…

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Thanks hunny bun :lovehug: Your prof sounds like a legend :biggrin:

He is such a babe, I love him :smile: He's really involved in student welfare and he always chats enthusiastically with me after the lecture when something I believed gets a battering and I go into spiritual-crisis mode, so nice that he's taking us all out to dinner :love:
Here's a lovely Prof B story he told us in lectures - he had his first date when he was 40 and wasn't sure what to do on a date so he said 'do you want to discuss my paper on Biblical hermeneutics?' and she said 'what's that' and he explained, and she had some interesting points, and he thought 'not only is she beautiful, she has a brain too' and at that moment he decided he would marry her - and he proposed a few weeks later :love: such a babe
Original post by Diety

He is such a babe, I love him :smile: He's really involved in student welfare and he always chats enthusiastically with me after the lecture when something I believed gets a battering and I go into spiritual-crisis mode, so nice that he's taking us all out to dinner :love:
Here's a lovely Prof B story he told us in lectures - he had his first date when he was 40 and wasn't sure what to do on a date so he said 'do you want to discuss my paper on Biblical hermeneutics?' and she said 'what's that' and he explained, and she had some interesting points, and he thought 'not only is she beautiful, she has a brain too' and at that moment he decided he would marry her - and he proposed a few weeks later :love: such a babe

Awwww! :h: :love: :h:
Reply 2422
Just annoying my roommate now rocking back and forth on my bed muttering 'what is good, what is bad, what is true?… I just don't know any more!'
Original post by Diety
Just annoying my roommate now rocking back and forth on my bed muttering 'what is good, what is bad, what is true?… I just don't know any more!'

:console: :penguinhug: :console:
Reply 2424
Original post by Diety

:mmm:

Truth is beauty, beauty truth :yep:
Reply 2425
Original post by Aula
:mmm:

Truth is beauty, beauty truth :yep:

:h: Thanks, I've settled down now, stopped shaking, just praying a lot on my questions (which has actually been really helpful!) and looking forward to another chat with the prof.
Reply 2426
Please pray for my friend! She's in hospital (again) as she had this pressure at the back of her head which is messing up her vision, memory, balance etc, so they are checking her over.:erm:

Praying for speeding recovery but also that the doctors get to the problem quickly!

Thanks guys!

(I love this thread)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Diety
I'll keep you updated :smile: Could you explain what you mean by that?…

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%202:23-25&version=NIV :yep: so it's about a man and a woman being one flesh. And also the whole thing on men and women having different roles in a relationship (Ephesians 5), how does that relate to same sex couples?

Original post by Alien41
Please pray for my friend! She's in hospital (again) as she had this pressure at the back of her head which is messing up her vision, memory, balance etc, so they are checking her over.:erm:

Praying for speeding recovery but also that the doctors get to the problem quickly!

Thanks guys!

(I love this thread)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Praying
Reply 2428
Original post by Alien41

Thanks guys!

(I love this thread)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Praying :h:

Original post by greeneyedgirl
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%202:23-25&version=NIV :yep: so it's about a man and a woman being one flesh. And also the whole thing on men and women having different roles in a relationship (Ephesians 5), how does that relate to same sex couples?

Well, it doesn't because it's referring to a man and a woman and not a same sex couple. Both Genesis and Ephesians come from societies in which the idea of a 'homosexual relationship' was unheard of - there wasn't even a word for homosexual, in greek there were only words referring to submissive and dominant sexual partners which was applied to both hetero and homo sexual sex (indeed, in condemning homosexuality, Paul must first condemn the one and then the other - there isn't one 'homosexuality' he can condemn).
I may be getting the wrong end of the stick with what your saying so quote me back if I haven't answered your question :smile:
At the hospital tomorrow afternoon for my scans, very scared
Prays will be appreciated.
Might try and pop in to my church tomorrow for some quiet time and pray but not sure if it will be open :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2430
So apparently I haven't backed anything up from my old hard drive since 2011, except photos, which I've not backed up since an 2013 :sad:

I really should have bought a larger external hard drive sooner :cry:
Original post by Diety
Praying :h:

Well, it doesn't because it's referring to a man and a woman and not a same sex couple. Both Genesis and Ephesians come from societies in which the idea of a 'homosexual relationship' was unheard of - there wasn't even a word for homosexual, in greek there were only words referring to submissive and dominant sexual partners which was applied to both hetero and homo sexual sex (indeed, in condemning homosexuality, Paul must first condemn the one and then the other - there isn't one 'homosexuality' he can condemn).
I may be getting the wrong end of the stick with what your saying so quote me back if I haven't answered your question :smile:

Yeah but with genesis it seems to be very much man and woman, and with ephesians I think it's clearly saying that men and women have different roles to play...not that these two roles can be played by anyone.

Original post by PonchoKid
Might try and pop in to my church tomorrow for some quiet time and pray but not sure if it will be open :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Praying!

Original post by Aula
So apparently I haven't backed anything up from my old hard drive since 2011, except photos, which I've not backed up since an 2013 :sad:

:hugs:
Original post by Alien41

Thanks guys!

(I love this thread)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by PonchoKid

Posted from TSR Mobile

Praying for both intentions :yep:

Original post by Aula

:frown:
Reply 2433
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, is anyone else concerned with Noor90's last comment over a week ago? I saw this on another thread and although its in code it looks sinister?

Captain's Log, Stardate 18012014: Made contact with the Mothership. I attempted diplomacy and explain my conversion to Sikhism and what the Guru Granth Sahib is. Dialogue occurred but it ended abruptly. I have been advised to ‘return to the straight path or face the consequences’, and the commander concluded with a speech outlining how I am a ‘filthy murtad’, ‘doomed to spend eternity in the hellfire’ and words to that effect.
I am unsure of what is going to happen to me; Fathership booked plane tickets to Pakistan and a rishta has been accepted. I am to be married in the home country before the end of the month. Help me.

End Log.

Can we pray for her safety?
Original post by Racoon
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, is anyone else concerned with Noor90's last comment over a week ago? I saw this on another thread and although its in code it looks sinister?

Captain's Log, Stardate 18012014: Made contact with the Mothership. I attempted diplomacy and explain my conversion to Sikhism and what the Guru Granth Sahib is. Dialogue occurred but it ended abruptly. I have been advised to ‘return to the straight path or face the consequences’, and the commander concluded with a speech outlining how I am a ‘filthy murtad’, ‘doomed to spend eternity in the hellfire’ and words to that effect.
I am unsure of what is going to happen to me; Fathership booked plane tickets to Pakistan and a rishta has been accepted. I am to be married in the home country before the end of the month. Help me.

End Log.

Holy ****, I had no idea that was happening in her life. Very worrying indeed :frown: Thank you SO much Racoon, for bringing this to our attention. I will most certainly pray most fervently about this :frown:
Psalm 91

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
6 Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
9 Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
11 For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
12 They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
13 Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.
14 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
16 With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

The Lord is faithful. He will not let any harm befall us :Nah:
(edited 10 years ago)
hi im muslim but i really respect your faith just thought id let you know ok thanks x
Reply 2437
Original post by Racoon

End Log.

Definitely praying, this is horrible! :eek: She is such a wise and loving member, I always loved listening to her views - I just hope she can get back in touch to tell everyone she's ok :s-smilie:
I know it's meant to be for after a holy communion LOOL but the prayer is pretty good

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Racoon
Hi folks. Sermon this morning was first of a series starting with Revelations 1 v 17:-

'When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last'.

Linking in with Isaiah 43 which says:-

“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
2 When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
3 For I am the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour;
I give Egypt for your ransom,
Cush[a] and Seba in your stead.
4 Since you are precious and honoured in my sight,
and because I love you :smile:
Looking forward to this series.

Going to church this morning reminded me how vital it is to go and hear God's word being preached, how it fills you up and fuels you for the coming week. Like a lump of coal in the fire, you have to stay in to keep red hot otherwise if you become a fading ember (well I do anyway hahahah).

I love these verses. It just makes you feel so secure in yourself. Thanks for sharing 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply